Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: bsnl
Accepted Solution

out of curiosity regarding the cover

When I open the back cover of my z10, there are two metal protruding which, when the cover is placed back, get attached to the two metallic plates on the cover in order to close the circuit. What is all this for? 
Thank you! 
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: out of curiosity regarding the cover

That's part of the NFC (Near Field Communication) circuit. Those prongs connect the NFC plate on the back cover to the internal circuitry.

Now you know. Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: bsnl

Woo! I thought of wifi but that didn't strike my mind.
One more thing, it seems to me that the NFC isn't that famous in India. Never heard of it before. What's your take on that?
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

It's more popular in other parts of the world but even where it IS well known, it's still in its infancy. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Apple didn't even offer it in its phones until only recently. I've used it a few times on my Z30 and it's a great technology. It's nice to be able to transfer photos, videos and internet links without having to pair up your phone with another using Bluetooth; you just say you want to use NFC, you hold both devices close to each other and you're done. I've also used it to pay for my coffee and donut order at Tim Hortons (a very popular donut chain here in Canada). It's cool to see the attendant's face light up when I use it because despite it being a choice for paying, most other smartphones only use the scannable barcode method.

I hope I've enlightened you a bit on the subject. Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.