Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
AVidal23
My Device: Blackberry Z10 Black 100-2

Re: random restarts / reboots

I suggest to disable gesture when the phone it is locked on top of battery fixing. It helped In the pants or in the jacket where the ongoing movements were perceived as kind of gestures on the display rinning apps, cameras, and overheating battery. Also battery life benefit from this
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

AVidal23 wrote:
I suggest to disable gesture when the phone it is locked on top of battery fixing. It helped In the pants or in the jacket where the ongoing movements were perceived as kind of gestures on the display rinning apps, cameras, and overheating battery. Also battery life benefit from this

This has nothing to do with the random reboots.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
printe
My Device: Z10 - User

Battery could be an issue, but I don't believe that battery fitting is part of the problem. Maybe the battery itself is. I haven't read this topic, I have two batteries, both rebooting. Maybe it is due to technical layout? Only a guess.

New Contributor
AVidal23

I had random reboot every day once.

I did these steps

1. Security wipe - still rebooting once per day

2. Cancelled any Android porting app + reseated battery + disallow gesture when screen locked

I can't tell you which is the cause but I am not experiencing any reboot from 120 hours and the telephone is considerably cooler that before on average

Contributor
printe
My Device: Z10 - User

I also experienced a long period without any reboot, than suddenly it rebooted. My Z10 does not reboot once a day, sometimes it does one or more time, than it does not reboot. Longest period was about 4 days without reboot.

New Contributor
AVidal23

I am with Z10 from 21st of March. Since that day 1 reboot per day A few days I had 2.

Now it's almost 5 days without reboot and with the battery much cooler.

printe wrote:

I also experienced a long period without any reboot, than suddenly it rebooted. My Z10 does not reboot once a day, sometimes it does one or more time, than it does not reboot. Longest period was about 4 days without reboot.

Contributor
slickvguy
My Device: Z10

I have been having reboots since I first bought the phone shortly after its launch. But since the latest software update (10.1) I am experiencing them far more frequently. I am losing my patience. Love the phone - but this is totally unacceptable. In the past, I noticed that it would usually happen late at night when I had the charger plugged in. Especially when it would reach fully charged status. But now in addition to those times it is rebooting at other times as well, multiple times/day.

I spoke to my Koodo rep and she informed me that since it's beyond one month I cannot get a new phone. That it would have to be sent into Blackberyy for "repairs" and that I would be given an old model Blackberry as a loaner. Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous. I have no desire to use an old Blackberry (the Z10 is my first smartphone) and Blackberry probably has no idea how to "repair" this problem - otherwise it would be fixed already.

I came to this website to look up the phone contact number to call Blackberry and ask for a new phone. What do I see? No phone number! Just a mouseover popup tellign me to contact my carrier. How disappointing.

Two of my daughters each got a Z10 around the same time as I did. One has NO reboot problems at all. The other has far worse - her phone randomly SHUTS OFF. I've been a fan and supporter of RIM for many years, but this kind of thing makes me lose faith in the company and its future. I bought my phone outright. Thats' a lot of money for something that doesnt' work properly. Not sure if it's a h/w or s/w problem, and frankly I dont care. it is not "broken" - it is FLAWED. There is a big difference.

New Contributor
AVidal23

Try  with

no Android port + shim/reseat battery + disallow gesture when locked

I think it is around battery and if it is , it is very stupid

Contributor
slickvguy
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

My guess, as a 50 year old geek who has developed on various h/w and s/w platforms since I was 16 (i.e. I'm not completely clueless when it comes to troubleshooting), is that the problem on MY phone is POWER-related. You might say "duh", but given how many posts I have read by users suggesting anything from the color of underwear they wore to which hand they turned the phone on with (lol), you get my point.

There are many things that come into play re: power. It doesn't surprise me that some people who have shimmed the battery are reporting success. Poor battery contact would definitely cause the random resets. I am NOT saying that that is the problem for everyone or for most people. Just saying it at least makes sense and that for SOME people it could be the cause of the problem. I believe it is clear that we are seeing more than one problem - or maybe a number of different things that are all connected to the same problem - which makes it more difficult to isolate and solve.

In my case, I noticed from day 1 that the USB cable's plug does not fit the port 100% squarely/flush. It goes in, and charges, but it just never felt right. Is it the chargers? The ports? Component(s) involved w/ charging/power circuitry? Yes, I am fully aware that for some (myself included) it also reboots while it is NOT being charged. But in my case the majority of the time the reboot occurs either when the charger is plugged into the phone or at the exact time I pull the cable out of the usb port. It is not a coincidence that I notice it resetting at the point that the battery indicator shows a full charge. Overnight charging is one of the few common links I have seen in all these random reboot threads.

What bothers me the most is that Blackberry shoudl simply acknowledge the problem and REPLACE the phones immediately for anyone who has this problem. Come on! Take care of your customers! It's not as if customers who are not having this problem will go throught he hassle and inconvenience of sending in their Z10 just to get a brand new phone. So how many phones are we talking about? A relatively very small number, right?Acknowledge the problem and take care of your customers, Blackberry. Why is that so hard for you to understand? It's Business 101. Tylenol. Hello???

Customers being told by tech support that the next s/w update will "probably" (lol) fix it is terribly insulting. I do not want to go through the hassle of using an old BB phone for two weeks while it sits in a service warehouse somewhere going through some tests. WHy is this MY problem? I paid for the phone. It's defective. Give me one that isn't defective! YOU are the manufacturer - don't dump the problem onto the carriers. Do the right thing! I don't blame Blackberry for having a small number of Z10s out of millions of phones that randomly reboot. Stuff happens. Not so crazy. But please...stop saying "we're looking into it" and give us new phones! As a BBRY investor AND customer, that would be the right thing AND the smart thing to do. Blackberry will lose me as a customer not because I have a phone with a problem, but because of the way they are mishandling this problem.

New Contributor
a_heider
My Device: Z10, Torch, Playbook

Hi hatchback!

Now nearly 2 month are gone since you made this post! I cannot find a solution to this issue at this forum, no info about that at BBs FAQ. No official statement by BB regarding this issue. I'm very angry about that, because I need my Z10 to be reachable but I'm not. Why: if this f..king error occurs I have to fill in my pin. This makes the device nearly unusable in business. An unusable business-device is not a good reference for a business-oriented company like BB.

I'm an IT-professional (IT- and management consultant) and so I am tolerant to problems at the beginning of a product-life cycle. But my tolerance ends at such a bad customer-support-process. If BB needs consultancy in setting up a customer-oriented support-process feel free to contact.

Also, if you have a solution to the restart/reboot issue please send me a message. I hope you or someone at BB is able to help.

With kind regards

Andreas Heider