Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: random restarts / reboots

Update - I went to Blackberry Expert Care Centre yesterday, they have kept the phone and asked me to check after 10 days. Even they are unsure of the exact nature of the restrating problems. However, they ruled out the following possibilities ~

1. SIM card error

2. Memory card

Most probably they'll replace the handset. Will keep all posted.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Strange, my last post seems to have been removed.

My last post said I have found a link that helps to fix the random reset. I tried it. Day 2, so far so good and the battery life also seems to have improved.

The solution is,
1) wipe the device
2) DON'T do a backup, don't do a backup, don't do a backup!

Doing a backup will take you back to the problem.

I'm sorry that so many of you have spent your energy in the wrong path.

Give it a try.

Hopefully, this constructive post will not be removed this time.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10.
Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't recall seeing that post before.

However, let me add, doing a BACKUP is not the problem.

Doing a full RESTORE of that BACKUP could be the problem.

I would ALWAYS recommend to make the backup (just in case). Don't restore the "App Data", only restore Settings.

This worked for me.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor

JSanders,

Thanks for clarifying my post.

Don't do a restore from a backup after the device wipe. Reenter emails etc one more time.

Have a nice day.

Agreed.... and, as you so aptly stated, "Do not, Do not, Do not!"

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have tried that before, unfortunately it did not help. Post security wipe, I restored by contacts using BB protect, updated the software and did not install any app...still the problem persisted. The only advice i can give all is to get it serviced or replaced from authorized BB care centre (considering most of us would have bought the device post Jan-13, which would cover it under warranty)
Contributor
My Device: Z10 - User
My Carrier: Telekom

[ Edited ]

On 1th of June I upgraded to 10.1.0.xxxx . Since than I had at last two random restarts - My Carrier told me it could be UMTS failure - not of Z10 itself.

If your mobile device looses contact to its UMTS basis, it tries to connect to an other one. Due to an error in the network it speads with two or more and a memory overflow could damage memory itself. Therefore - he told me - Blackberry built a security mechanism to wipe the memory and reboot the device .

He told me to switch of UMTS to see if it happens again. I will report to this forum if it reboots again or if not - after two or three weeks I guess if no reboot happens.

I do not use my Z10 for phone calls only - I will see what happens, maybe I change my carrier - for now I switched to 2g only.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Carrier: Koodo

[ Edited ]

Update...

Well, charging via the USB port on my PC instead of the wall charger made no difference.

However, for the first time in months, I have now gone a few days (not sure how long exactly) since my last random restart! Something has definitely changed. I was getting multiple reboots every night while it was plugged into the charger.

The only thing that I can think of that has changed is that the BB Maps application was updated. I did not add or remove any apps. I see that my software release is now 10.1.0.273 (my o/s version is still 10.1.0.1720).

I've changed my mind about the nature of what is going on and now tend to agree with JSanders and a few others. Although it seemed to be power-related on MY phone (not necessarily on others), it can't just be coincidence that the software was changed and for the first time in months I haven't had multiple reboots while charging overnight. What we are likely seeing is a variety of CAUSES somehow triggering the same "problem". I also haven't had the calendar problem (freezing when adding an event or when tapping on a specific date) in a number of days. Not sure if the two problems are related.

When I read all these posts about people swapping handsets due to the reset problem, and still experiencing the same problems on multiple handsets, it becomes clearer that the problem (in most cases) is likely not the handsets (i.e. hardware). Take the same phone, give it to a different user, wipe it, re-install o/s and s/w from scratch, and voila...no resets. Which means that it is the setup, the software installed, and/or something else particular to that user's configuration. Not faulty hardware or design.

As a few posters on Crackberry have suggested, it seems now that over time and various updates, this reset gremlin will work its way out of the system. I hope.

Trusted Contributor

OK, I figured out my post has not been deleted. I replied before signing in. Lol.

I agree with slickguy that it is likely not a hardware problem but perhaps untidy accumulation of software install and deletion, or operating issue.

One person posted on CrackBerry that he has solved the problem by wiping the device and NOT RESTORING to the old backup. He claims if you do a restore, problem will persist.

So I have tried and with the following results.
My resets all happened in the early hours - 2, 3, 4 am.
I did a wipe and no restore. First two nights, no reset. Then two nights ago, at 2:33:58 am, a reset.

Last night I set it to WiFi and no reset.

I will leave it on WiFi for four days to see.

I got the suspicious that Wind Mobile is doing something at night in the wee hours in my case. In the very beginning, I even thought it was some minor updates being pushed to my phone and required a reset.

I don't want to do an exchange of my phone without first knowing what the problem is.
Otherwise it is a waste of resources and more importantly, my time.

I love my Z10. I can't live without it, literally. Just a minor reset while I sleep is not an issue for me.

Yes, getting out of sleep mode will make notification ping. My workaround is the silent mode.

If it were a hardware problem, I rather exchange it as late as possible, so I can get the latest production.

If it were operation teething problem, it will iron itself out.

I will continue my little experiment.

Maybe for those who have experienced some reset problem, the first step is to write down all the information that you need to setup your phone...passwords etc. Wipe your phone and DON'T RESTORE. Then go from there.

I'm starting my piggy bank for the A10 in Christmas. Yes, I want to be the first not withstanding possible teething problem. It is just too much fun to have. I can't watch from the side. Smiley Happy

beavertail, when I installed Z10STL100-4/10.1.0.2354, I only restored the settings data another the app data. But you must make that specific settings only backup.

And I've not had a random reboot since.

Knowledge Base Updates