Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: 8803-Z10
My Carrier: att

sharing contact is creating a

I use the "note" function in contacts to save misc personal information that I don't intend to share.  Yesterday I shared a contact with a client who told me that I need to be careful when I share a contact with my Z10.  It evidently doesn't just share the phone, email, address etc fields but also shares the "note" section as well. This is very problematic as I don't want that field shared.  In this case it had very personal information that creates a security issue/breach for me.  When I shared contacts with my previous phone (iphone) it never shared the "notes" section.  Now I am very concerned about continuing to use this phone.  RIM told me that there was "no work around for this" and ATT told me "ALL smart phones share all data fields" which is not true after some interntional experimentation.  Can I designate which fields can be shared when I share a contact?  I was also told by RIM and ATT to move all my data currently in the Notes section (that I don't want shared) into another application - I have 2500+ contacts so that is not a realistic option for me.  I've found that blackberry is very security consious and I'm very surprised that this is happening and there is nothing that can be done.  I welcome suggestions as I don't want to have to change to another phone manufacturer at this point.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: sharing contact is creating a

Hey betsymiami,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

I appreciate the feedback, my apologies but when you share a contact it will include all data associated with that contact.

Also there is no option to choose which fields you would like to share.  If you want to keep any internal notes, I would suggest saving them in BlackBerry Remember.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Re: sharing contact is creating a

Thank you for the answer. I can't move 2500+ notes into BB Reminder so I guess I have to go back to my old iphone, which does not share that field. SO disappointed. I am hoping that this is something that BB/RIM will consider fixing.
New Contributor

Re: sharing contact is creating a security issue for me

After doing a fair amount of research I think I have found a problem in the new operating system software.  I am in sales and frequently use the "notes" section under each contact.  I make notes to myself there, write down their kids, spouse, pets names, how I know the contact, etc.  These notes are meant to be my private notes and are not intended to be shared with anyone else.  I frequently share contacts. I've never had a phone that shared the "notes" section before so I didn't think anything about it.  The other day a client showed me what I had shared with him from a contact. The information shared created a big security issue for me and my contact.  I've dug around quite a bit since and have found that NONE of the following phones share "notes" EXCEPT my blackberry: Iphone 4, iphone 5, Samsung4S and Nokia.  I discussed this with several AT&T customer support reps/managers and all were surprised to find out this was happening.  RIM says there is no work around.  Samsung has an interesting approach in that you can check off the fields you want to share and even has a function for "select all".  That or a default that can be changed would be my suggestion.