Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

stupid but very interesting question about remote control of your blackberry microphone

Hello,

I have a question as i am having a fight with 10 friends at a table now.

There is a rumor in my country that your mobile phone can be listened to even when you are talking, when it's just sitting idle in stand by but turned on. Like someone can open your microphone from far away and listen to everything you are talking at the table.

My question is, is this possible? How can it be??
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: stupid but very interesting question about remote control of your blackberry microphone

not sure if any government will comment on what they can access 

most people would not even be on their list unless you have something to worth their interest

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: stupid but very interesting question about remote control of your blackberry microphone

LOL What what you & your 10 friends are truly up to!

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Contributor

Come on experts, i am waiting for a fair and well argumented answer regarding this....
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

ststere wrote:
Come on experts, i am waiting for a fair and well argumented answer regarding this....

knottyrope gave you fair answer!! 

:smileyindifferent:

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Having been to most of the foundries around the world I can say that this is feasibly possible but almost certainly impractical.  It would need collusion on a wideworld scale to implement.

Any suspicion of a phone doing this would result in it being ripped open, the tops taken off the chips, and probes inserted by surveillance and chip design experts.

What is possible is for your position to be ascertained from a phone and for a phone to be cloned and calls intercepted. If you are talking in to the phone the call can also be intercepted at the service provider end and from recent leaks it's a certainty that governments are doing this, with the US seeming to be one of the worst (or most efficient) with massive mainframes sifting through all calls for trigger key words.

Unfortunately this is the world we live in now.

Hope your dinner party went well and that you kept your dinner talk away from dangerous subjects. :Innocent:

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Contributor

Many thanks for a sane explanation. Fully understood. It is possible, theoretically but not practicable.
Contributor

Yes it was good didn't approach the subject after 5 minutes.... neahh phones were on the table - nothing to hide - no fear - working type of boring people who pay taxes, eat, sleep and work (unfortunately).
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

When you are not using the phone, that is when the phone is not in a phone call the microphone circuits are actually muted, and so is the speaker. 

If someone wanted to use the phone as a bug, they would have to actually open the phone and somehow install an additional circuit board that can work as an independent transmitter, or independent device that can dial out to a specific location via the mobile network on its own account. This would be very difficult to do since these phones are very cramped for space inside, and the circuit interface is extremely complex. 

Back in the early 1970's we used to see on some movies where spys would plant a bug of some type at the phone jack, or inside of the person's telephone set. The bug normally used the power from the phone connection to run. We used to see this in some spy movies. 

The other way is for someone to install a malicious monitoring software in to the phone that in the background can call out to a location for monitoring ambiant sounds picked up by the phone's microphone. With the Blackberry phone system by how it functions and with its security this would be a very difficult feat, and I doubt it has ever been done with the Blackberry phone.  The only way a malicious software can get in to a Blackberry is if the user installed it himself. Installing unauthorized software is of a high risk for this. 

It is possible however to have logs of your phone calls if your service provider keeps logs of the numbers that you called and that called you. By request through a court order (in US, Canada, and all of Europe), the authorities can do a wire tap, and or ask for the user logs.

In the case of taping mobile phones this would have to be done at the telephone companies facilities using the proper decoding. The conversation and control packets broadcasted by your phone would be overly difficult to intercept. I believe the Blackberry conversations and emails are encrypted when sent from the phone via the carrier's network. This is a huge reason why I only use a Blackberry for business.  

Jerry G.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

@jerryg50 I would be careful about basing your information off of movies. :-)

If you are really interested how it would be done I suggest you read this article...

http://people.umass.edu/gbecker/BeckerChes13.pdf

Cracking encryption for you would be difficult but not for a government that have deliberately compromised the random number generator used in encryption...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24048343

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.