Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
sandyhome
My Device: Z10 and Curve
Accepted Solution

unable to connect to email servers

I have set up emails on other BBs, phones and laptops using the exact same settings as I am using for the Z10, but keep getting the message that it can not connect to the server.  I know the settings are fine, and the server is working from other devices.

I tried setting up my Shaw email account.  That was unsuccessful, and said it couldn't connect to the server.  I did read in a Shaw forum that my password may not meet the requirements for a mobile device, even though it worked perfectly fine on my Curve.  I put that aside to deal with later.

I switched to trying to set up my work email, with the same message.  I know the incoming/smtp settings very well as I have set them up on several machines, a Curve and an Android that I briefly tried.  I have never had a problem.  I double checked and verified the setting on my laptop and it was all exactly the same, right down to the ports.

I called Telus and they informed me that the Z10 would be unable to use any mail server while on wireless, and that I would have to set up the SMTP for whatever company was providing the access to the wireless device I was on.  Is this for real?  My Curve just picks up the wireless wherever I am and successfully send using the work mail server.  I have to use a different setting every time I stay in a hotel, or go somewhere with a different provider?  That makes no sense to me whatsoever.  How can I know who the provider even is in some places and what their settings are?

We tried to use the SMTP for Telus, with the wireless off, so it would send just using the Telus network.  It still could not connect to the incoming server.

I was a die hard Blackberry user, but if this is indicative of how the Z10 functions, it is going back and I am going to have to look for another option, unless there is an easy solution I am missing, as is the Telus support rep.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: unable to connect to email servers

sandyhome, call Telus and make sure they have removed your former BIS BlackBerry data plan from your account & replaced it with a generic data plan.
Also, at the top of your home screen, do you see the BlackBerry logo at top right near your signal bars?

Mail integration on the #Z10 is normally seamless & recognizes the server settings without issue.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
sandyhome

Thanks J, I will try that.  If I get the incoming problem solved, I am still concerned about the outgoing, which I can't test yet.  Before I reactivate it to test it, can you tell me about SMTP.

I have seen several posts all over the Internet, and been told by Telus support, regarding outgoing that says you need to use your network SMTP, such as smtp.telus.net, rather than being able to use the outgoing server on your mail system.  For example, where I normally use myworkservername.domain.ca for both in and out, it seems to be all over the net that I would have to use my phone provider, or whatever provider settings for the wireless I am using.

I go to the US a lot and rely on wireless down there to keep me from getting outrageous roaming charges.  Not all hotels will know the provider or the settings for their wireless, so I would have to use the network and pay roaming.  I also manage to keep my data costs down up here by using wireless at home and at work.  While I know those settings, it would be a real pain to change back and forth all of the time.  Is Telus correct that the new Z10 can not access my work server (or any other private email server) from a wireless not on their network?  It has never been an issue with my Curve and is not an issue with anyone else's iPhones and Droids, or on my Curve, so I know it is not a setting on the work server itself.

Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook

[ Edited ]

Excuse me barging in on the thread, but I have a lot of experience with Telus, and roaming with my BlackBerry (currently a Z10).  In short, you've been fed some outdated info by the Telus rep. Telus has become very Android-centric, and it seems like a good number of Telus CSR's are still reading from a Legacy BlackBerry trouble-shooting guide.

My Z10 is unlocked, and I periodically use an AT&T sim when traveling in the US.  I have never had to change an email setting to get full email function -- including the SMTP settings.  To put it simply, your device first connects to a network using credentials provided.  At most hotels, for instance, your device will scan for and pick up a WiFi network.  The hotel will tell you the WiFi network name and give you a password to use.  You simply enter the password when prompted, then you may have to agree to certain conditions.  That's it.

Your email settings are just that.  Using whichever network to which you are connected, the user name and password give you access.  The settings coincide with the email provider's server settings.  These don't typically change with the location from which you are connecting.

I'd suggest you take a look at this very helpful email settings tool provided by BlackBerry, if you are having difficulty:  http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/03/email-account-validation-tool/

It helps you determine the possible settings for connecting to your email provider.  Different providers offer different connection options, sometimes more than one.  Opinions vary, but my preference in descending order is:  ActiveSync, IMAP, then POP if required.  ActiveSync (aka EAS) and IMAP will offer 2-way sync.

Take a look at the tool and pop a message back here if you have any questions.  Good luck. ~ecm

Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

elessar, thank you. I'm glad you "banged" in, lol

Do you think Telus might also still have him on a legacy BIS plan? I've seen it a few times.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor
elessar

You're probably correct -- they may still have sandyhome on a BIS plan.  It's something obvious that should have been changed automatically when he was getting the new device.

Sandyhome, as JSanders pointed out, call to make sure Telus has removed the BIS service from your plan.  If I recall correctly, with Telus it's just a matter of unclicking an add-on attached to your account.

The rest of the comments above are still valid.

Be sure to let us know if this works for you.

sandyhome

Thank you so much for the Telus info!  I assumed they would know to take it off the old system, but I guess I shouldn't assume anything with them.  :smileyhappy: 

I will call Telus support tomorrow and try again.  I would really like to stay with BB (there are only 2 of us left where I work) because there is so much I like about it for work, and I hope this solves the issues.

Contributor
sandyhome

Thank you for your help as well!

Just so you know, I am a she, not a he.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
sandyhome

Ok...so the removal of BIS did indeed help.  However, there is one glitch remaining.  One of the email accounts will work perfectly fine on Wifi, but will not work the second we turn Wifi off and it swtiches to the telus network.  The settings must be fine to work in Wifi, and it can't be from trying to access the server from outside of the network as the Wifi is also outside of the network, as is my old Curve that worked perfectly fine. 

Any ideas? 

Super Contributor
elessar

What is the email account that's giving you problems?
Have you checked through the email evaluation tool I noted above?
While your having problems with the one account while not on WiFi, are you able to use the browser, Facebook, and other Internet related apps?