Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

voice dial recognition problems

I'm having a terrible time using the voice dial program.  The short version is this program (unlike the program on my Bold 9900) does a terrible job recognizing names I use.  For example, I ask for it to "call Tim".  The response I get is all about "Kim".  I know the names sound similar.  With my old phone I could do a voice calibration to get the program in sync with my vocabulary.  Does this new Z10 have the same option?  If not, why the heck not?  I've been trying for two weeks to get my voice dial program to "adapt".  I don't have a heavy American English accent.  I speak plainly, at a moderate tempo.  I never had problems with any of my last 4 BB devices.  AAAUUUGGGHHH!!  very frustrated.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: voice dial recognition problems

I found with the phones I use, with my voice I usually get a wrong number or wrong response. With my wife and other people I work with they all work great including the Z10's we are using. 

I speak North American type english with a very neutral North American way of accent. I pronounce my words correctly. The only thing I can speculate on is there is something about the waveform structure or sound signature of my voice the phones do not properly respond to.

Different phones may respond differently with some voice signatures because of the internal acoustics of part where the microphone is mounted, and the way the particular way the voice is processed.

Voice command technology is still very new, and it is very complex. There are many aspects of this process that is still under heavy development.

Jerry G.
Regular Contributor

I only have started having a problem since switching to the Z10. Other BlackBerry devices never gave me this kind of grief
Regular Contributor

Do you know if the is a calibration process I can use, like the old version on other devices provided?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

I have recently reposted this issue. I am having what I would suggest is more than a terrible time with the voice dialing on my z10. I have used both the full and dialing only features, and it doesn't matter. The phone cannot get the name right no matter what I do, no matter which blue tooth device I am using, no matter if I am using the phone alone, no matter what I am doing, on and on. It never gets anything right. Even using simple numbers to dial, I frequently get a wrong digit in reply from the voice dialing.

I cannot find any help with this issue. I am looking for a new thread, and it is driving me wild. I love BB, have been a user of several phones over the years, and now am finally quite upset with their product. I have a couple phones at the moment. When the subscription on my bold runs out, I doubt I will be buying another BB. The same goes for the subscription on the Z10, I am that disappointed with the voice dialing. A feature that is very critical to my professional and personal life.

If you know of anything, and can direct me to a resolve, I would be personally indebted.

Thanks

Zook