Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: z10 Landscape mode

rat-7 wrote:

why would any one use a phone in landscape mode, you then have only about 1% of the screen available, in that case you are better off using a Playbook which is made to be use in landscape

How is that a helpful response?  I enjoyed using my 9810 in landscape mode.  Just because you may not want to do it that way doesn't mean it's not a legitimate question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
Tayedrummer
My Device: Z10

ugh...this sporatic use of landscape mode is madening.

I find it a lot easeir to type with both thumbs in landscape mode.  If I'm typing a BBM (works in landscape) i have to change to portrait mode to go back to the desktop/icons and then roll it back to landscape once I open the browser (web sites are much easier to read in landscape).

I'm coming from a 9810 where once you rolled to landscape you seldom had to go back to portrait.  This is a real frustrating step backwards.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I'm coming from the 9810, as well, and it's a bit hard to get used to but I'm getting there. Hopefully, they add more landscape features.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
goliard

I note that the compass on my phone does not work either, so that is landscape not working AND the compass. I think the gyroscope inside must be broken, so it is going back to O2 for a replacement.

Contributor
Teknic7
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I was a 9800 user, loved being in landscape for everything. Started with my first crackberry, which was the Storm. Always been a landscape fan, but with the extra tall (or wide, in lanscape) screen I have found it is often better to just leave it in portrait most of the time. To be honest, the only time I use landscape is when browsing the web, it just feels more natural the horizontal scrolling all the time. Everything else, I have adapted comfortably to being in portrait

Contributor
Flyby
My Device: Z10, Playbook

I am seeing very sporatic behaviour in rotation behavior. Just now, I received a call, Ipulled the phone out of my pocket to see that the incoming call screen was in landscape. Since that screen is designed for portrait only it was squashed/stretched. Fortunetly it still functioned. 

With Rotation, very often I don't get the rotation when I should. I either have to wait it out or give up. Blackberry definitly needs to do some tweaking with the controlling software. Hopefully this isn't an unfixable hardware problem.

Guru I
John_Clark

I've noticed similar oddities. If my device is laying flat, in portrait mode, sometimes I'll swipe something and it will change to landscape on it's own. I've also found that the device must be near vertical in order to get it to rotate.

Haven't seen the phone issue.
New Contributor
Tayedrummer

I think the worst behavior is jumping between landscape apps (say email to BBM or BBM to browser) and the desktop is locked in portrait.  How did they miss that?

Guru I
John_Clark

it probably wasn't missed. It was either on purpose or still yet to come. I'm hoping the latter. Remember, this is an entirely new platform, not an "upgrade."
New Contributor
goliard

I should update to say that although I had tried the original tip of a battery pull, I recently pulled the battery and forgot to put it back in for about an hour. Now landscape mode is working as is the compass!