Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Contributor
clue1967
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telekom Germany

Another instance of a corrupt Micro SD card

This problem is somewhat similar to the one described here, but with a 16 GB card rather than an unsupported 64 GB card: Micro SD Card Became Corrupt

history:

• I am using a fast 16 GB card (SanDisk microSDHC 16GB Extreme Pro) which I used with my Android phone for about a year without any problems.
  • initially I put the card into the Z30 without any formatting and all content showed up fine,
    started too see problems the other day
  • files still showed up in the preview (probably cached), but could not be opened,
    at some point they disappeared
  • then I deleted the content and formattted the card (actually twice so far), transferred music and photos to the Z30 via BB Link from my PC,
    --> same problem showed up the next day all the time

So I have seen data getting corrupted 3 times now.

How likely is it that it's related to the card ?

Besides this issue I am very happy with my Z30: performance, usability and battery are outstanding.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Another instance of a corrupt Micro SD card

I had similar issue with an older card and once I upgraded to a new card the issue went away.

SD cards dont last forever and heat can kill them over time

you can try a different card in it and if it does not corrupt then you know whats wrong.

It is also best to format card in device when possible as the Z30 will put in teh proper folder structure, then you can add content to it.

Also the 64 gig cards are supported on BB10, I have been using one for several months now

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
clue1967

I used the 'in device formatting'. But  obviously that didn't help.

I can still see those top level folders and in some cases I can open them, in most cases I get "you don't have access rights for this folder". Music is still listed in the player, but fails to play the songs with another error.

I will report back when I tried another card. I don't think that this card is broken though.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PastaSauce
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Verizon

I am also experiencing some issues with my SD card.

I just got my new phone a few days ago. Also got my new micro SD cards, two of them, the day before my phone. The cards are Transcend 32 GB micro SDHC UHS-I class 10. These are the fastest micro SD cards Transcend offers, that I know of. 

I haven't had too much time to really mess around with my phone yet, but the few pictures I have taken with it as test shots, to see the camera quality, did exactly what was described here. They showed up right after I took the picture, but shortly after, they would be blank and inaccessible from both the file browser and picture viewer/gallery. 

I also got the message that I don't have permission to access the other folders on the SD card. This was after three times erasing the data and reformatting the card. I tried both of my 32GB cards in the phone, neither would work properly. And these are brand new cards. I doubt I have two duds. I will verify their function in other devices soon enough.

As for my fix, I have a spare, new, PNY 8GB SDHC class 4 card that I popped in and it seems to work fine for the little bit that I've tested it, with picture taking. I have yet to get music onto my phone, but if there are any issues with that I will update about it. 

My thoughts are that the phone might have an issue with the high speed cards. I, too, am very pleased with my Z30 otherwise. It really is a great phone, the quality is all around amazing!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
clue1967

I have to admit I haven't tried another card yet. Running with internal memory works fine.

I would like to buy a 32 GB class 10 card, but I am worried it will fail as well.

Can people who are successfully using a 32 GB class 10 card reply which card they are using and whether there are any issues.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have been using Sandisk 32 and 64 gig cards in my Z10, Q10 and wifes Z10

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PastaSauce

Hi Knottyrope, what are your card specs? Because my 32GB cards are class 10, UHS-1. They are the ones that gave me problems. But after putting a class 4, 8GB, card in, I was fine. 

If your cards are not class 10, then that might shed some light on the faster card issue that may be going on. If they are high-speed cards, then we need another person with a z30 and large capacity high-speed cards to hop in on this. 

Thank you for your input and help! 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I have a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s

Wife has a 32 gig class 4

my Q10 has a 32 gig class 2

My spare Z has 32gig  class 2

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PastaSauce

Cool, so it's definitely not an issue with BB OS10.

...so maybe it's an issue the z30 is having with the fast cards... 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
clue1967

That might be the case. Since I own a Z30 and a few other Z30 owners have reported this issue, I am mostly interested in feedback of other Z30 users.

Please use plain text.