Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Contributor
Bluenoseberry
My Device: Z30 & PlayBook
My Carrier: PC Mobile

Lovin' The Z30!

In a previous thread, I had asked for recommendations regarding the Z10 vs the Z30. In the end, I was persuaded to go with the Z30 and I'm glad I did. My "over 40" eyes appreciate the larger screen size. I never had an issue with my PlayBook, but the Z30 screen is at the edge of legibility for me, without my reading glasses. I'm pretty sure that I would've been frustrated by the size of the Z10 screen, as I need my glasses to see any text clearly on my wife's iPhone 5S. Plus the extra typing room is nice.

I was a bit put off by the lack of communication from the shop.blackberry website, as they were (IMO) slow to ship my phone and didn't respond when I inquired about a shipping date. It shipped a week after I ordered it and arrived two days later, so in the end, no big deal. It would be nice to know what's happening with your order though.

I had no real issues getting up and running with the phone. Transfer from my old phone to this one through PC Mobile went without a hitch. It took a couple of days to get accustomed to navigating through the phone, as the swipe gestures aren't the same as the PlayBook. But, it didn't take too long to figure it out though and the tutorials helped.

A friend of mine, who has an iPhone 4S, saw it yesterday and was confused by the fact that it was a BlackBerry. She had the "does not compute" expression on her face. She said, "but....where's the keyboard?" I don't know if it's just her, or if BlackBerry needs to up it's marketing game.

Anyway, with so many posts requesting help with problems, I thought I'd be different and just post to say that I'm quite happy with my Z30. It's only been four days so far, but still...

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Lovin' The Z30!

I remember you well as I was one of the posters suggesting the Z30 to you. I'm glad you picked one up and are enjoying it so far.

Once you get used to the Z30 gestures, you're going to do everything quicker than you ever have before and you're going to do it quicker than your non-BlackBerry 10 friends. It's an amazing OS and you'll find that out bit by bit.

Welcome to the family of Z30 owners! We're not huge in numbers but we're very productive.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bluenoseberry

And I remember you making said recommendation. Much appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

glad you like it, enjoy your new device

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

I remember, as well. Glad you're enjoying it. I love mine!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

You might even try after a while to use the Z30 gesture on the PlayBook, I know I still try from time to without thinking and I am wondering why nothing happens on the PlayBook :-D

Glad you love it

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Developer
vmisirlis
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Cosmote

Haha! Well done mate glad you made the best choice! :smileywink: z30 rocks!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TAdvisorKing
My Device: Not Specified

I'm not so much "Lovin' the Z30".

I was migrated from the Torch and am frustrated by the lack of a track pad.  I don't know how many of my frustrations are OS 10 related, as opposed to being specific to the Z30.

Are there any typing / message composition tutorials that can help a novice user understand how to edit on screen without a track pad?  In particular, when I "up swipe" to choose a suggested word while composing, it will work about 20% of the time.  About 60% of the time I just get the one letter.  15% of the time I get nothing and 15% of the time I get a letter other than the one I've chosen.  I really have no idea what I'm supposed to be aiming for and so far haven't learned anything from my hit-and-miss efforts.

Another problem is that sometimes the system chooses a word that I haven't typed (and don't want) and inserts it in place of the "space" bar in green.  Sometimes it isn't even a real word.  There seems to be no way to keep the word I've typed and hit space, so I always end up having to choose the word I don't want, then deleting it manually (back space, back space, back space, back space) then retyping the word I want.

A third frustration is eding a letter, word or punctuation in a partially completed message.  After considerable research, I discovered that there is a circular "cursor positioner" that may come up if you touch the screen.  However, it remains a mystery how to get this circle to appear.  Sometimes if I touch the text it appears, sometimes it does not appear, but moves the cursor (typically to somewhere other than where I want it), sometimes it blocks text for cutting/pasting and sometimes it does nothing.  I may have to hit the screen up to 10 times to get the circle to appear, which means it would have been faster to backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace and re-type, which is frustrating if all I'm trying to do is add a capital letter to a word, change punctuation, put a word in quotes or add a word in parentheses.

In general, the whole typing / editing process seems to be based on extremely qualitative rules (dealing with how long a portion of your finger touches a particular part of a screen and then moves in a particular direction over a particular duration) without explaining them or providing any sort of a tutorial.

I'd sure like to have a track pad and a few more buttons that work by pressing them once.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bluenoseberry

I don't know what to tell you. I have no issues with predictive text and the swiping gestures. I admit that I haven't made much use of the circular "cursor positioner", so I can't really comment on it. Maybe you're so used to the track pad, that transitioning to the Z30 is more difficult. I never had a phone with a track pad, so I didn't have any ingrained habits or methods to overcome. I hope you get the hang of it and become happy with it, because I'm still lovin' mine....
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TAdvisorKing
My Device: Not Specified

So what do you do when you've typed a couple lines of text and realize that you forgot to capitalize a word, so you want to go back.  Are you saying you have no problem getting the editor to do what you want or you don't proofread your messages before sending, so you rarely have the need to go back and change what you've typed.  I frequently decide to adjust what I've typed on proofreading and am struggling to get the cursor positioned where I want it.

Please use plain text.