Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

New Contributor
My Device: Z30

Unable to send email or download attachments

I get the red stop sign someone else mentioned when trying to send an email. I get it on both Wifi and 3G. I am unable to download attachments onto my device. I get a message saying "unable to view" which would be correct the files I am trying to download are not viewable. Is there an option to just download somewhere?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Unable to send email or download attachments

POP, IMAP or Active Sync mail account?

What email company gmail, hotmail etc?

Most of the time the wrong SMTP server is selected or wrong encryption to cause the send failure

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

This is a just a plain Google Mail account just set up without POP or anything else fancy,  Receives mail fine.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

what are your outhoing server settings?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

They are whatever the z30 automatically configured them to. How would I view them?

New Contributor

Ok Found configuration - it is
Server Address:- impa.gmail.com
Port: 993
Encryption: SSL
SMTP Server Address: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465
Push is on
Does that give anyone any clues?
Guru III
My Device:

[ Edited ]

--Yvette-- wrote:
Ok Found configuration - it is
Server Address:- impa.gmail.com
Port: 993
Encryption: SSL
SMTP Server Address: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465
Push is on
Does that give anyone any clues?

try 587 for TLS instead of 465 for SSL on the SMTP server.

• Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLS
    • smtp.gmail.com
    • Port: 465 or 587
    • Requires SSL: Yes
    • Requires authentication: Yes
    • Use same settings as incoming mail server
  • Full Name or Display Name: [your name]
  • Account Name or User Name: your full Gmail address (username@gmail.com). Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
  • Email address: your full Gmail address (username@gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
  • Password: your Gmail password

If your client does not support SMTP authentication, you won't be able to send mail through your client using your Gmail address.

Also, if you're having trouble sending mail but you've confirmed that encryption is active for SMTP in your mail client, try to configure your SMTP server on a different port: 465 or 587.

New Contributor

Thanks but no,  that doesn't work. port 587 cannot be reached. The client must be able to work with gmail because that is one of the ponts of the Blackberry 10 and z30 isn't it?

Guru III
My Device:

maybe try removing the meail account and set it up again

New Contributor

No adding and removing the account doesn't work. I have now had a piece of distressing but useful info from Twitter

@BlackBerrryHelp whom say there is a problem with downloading/viewin mail attachments
 and pointed me to the following link:-

Blackberry known errors which appears to have no hope of any resolution any time soon. I would still like to know what the story is on not being able to send emails from a gmail account if anyone else knows?

Sadly it looks like this is not a very good phone and at the pricetag of the z30 I would have expected better. I will have to sell it. I just want to make sure I am not selling a faulty device.