Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Contributor
Dewcall
My Device: Bold 9900

Z30 Wi-Fi

Having had a Z30 for less than 24 hours (had 9900 for 2.5 years and then a, now defunct, Android) I am perplexed and frustrated by the Wi-Fi on the Z30.

I am using a Draytek Vigor 2860n router with the latest firmware - 3.7.4.1 - on 2.4Ghz.  The are no other routers nearby.

I am using two SSIDs one with WPA/WPA2 PSK and one with WPA2 PSK.  The Z30 has no trouble connecting to either of these SSIDs, however on both of them it frequently drops the ability to access the internet every few minutes.  You can imagine my frustration trying to update the Z30 to 10.2.1.2941 and having to toggle the Wi-Fi on and off to be able to do a 990Mb download.

I do not think the router is at fault as I have several other wireless devices - iPad, laptop, squeezebox, etc - connected and none of these report any issue at all.  The IP address used by the Z30 is not conflicting - all IPs are bound to the device MAC addresses.

Access points have been deleted, Z30 rebooted, APs remade and the problem persists making the device unfit for reliable use.  SIgnal strength is good as I am sitting 1 m away from the router!

Have I missed anything?  Or is this "normal" behaviour for the device?  Hopefully there is somehting "obvious" I have not done and somebody can point it out to me!

TIA

Dave

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Z30 Wi-Fi

Look at my tips on wifi

Speed-up-BlackBerry-Wi-Fi-connections-a-knottyrope-tip

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
Dewcall

Hi Knotty,

Thanks for prompt reply.  I have done this before posting and believe that all is in accordance with your suggestions.

Router is only 2.4GHz: using g & n: SSID visible: channel 8 - could not see channel speed settings; no VPN: no cordless phone: no Wi-Fi sharing:

Does the above help?

Thanks again.

Dave

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I am using two SSIDs one with WPA/WPA2 PSK and one with WPA2 PSK.

Try setting them to only use WPA2

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
Dewcall

Thanks.

Have removed the WPA/WPA2 PSK access point from the phone and now it can only connect via the WPA2/PSK SSID. 

Older Wi-Fi kit need the WPA access....

The channel bandwith is now 20 rather than 20/40.

Z30 still reports "Wi-Fi conenction limited".

Dave

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

now that you made a change, delete the wifi profile from phone and set up again

Contributor
Dewcall

Thanks,

Have deleted profile, restarted phone, added profile.  I wait to see if the Z30 likes this or not....

Dave

Contributor
Dewcall

Just been told that my "Wi-Fi conenction is limited" so the above changes do not seem to have made any difference?

Is this normal for the Z30 or should I return it and hope that the next one will actually work on Wi-Fi?

Dave

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

i have not had any issue with my Z10 or Z30 with wifi on a Netgear N600 or N900 wifi routers which I have at work and at home.

I have messed with wifi and made my tips based on what works best on BlackBerry.

it is possible you have an issue with the device

do you have any place with wifi like a coffe shop to test it ?

Contributor
Dewcall

I can get access to other routers - neighbours friends etc. so will try those.  I do have an older Zyxel unit which I cna use but do not relish the thought of having to set it up and getting everythign to conenct again ..... lazy I know1

Thanks again for help.

Dave