Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Contributor
scottdeagan
My Device: Z10 • Z30 • PlayBook

[dev request] Please rewrite browser using NDK

[ Edited ]

Dear BlackBerry:

I have been a huge BlackBerry fan since BB10. I have the PlayBook, Z10 and Z30. As someone who uses a BlackBerry every day, I find the most annoying thing on the platform is the browser.

The browser works, there's no disputing this fact. However, as the browser has been written entirely in HTML5, it does not take full advantage of the beautiful and powerful BB10 platform. I understand the desire by many to make such web technologies a first class citizen, but the cold hard reality is HTLM5 (even when using Cascades bindings) will never perform as well as native.

The majority of users are not going to care about how compliant a mobile browser is. Users want fluidity and smoothness, and this is something the BB10 platform needs to deliver throughout (and is good at delivering when the time and effort taken to implement things properly using the NDK).

While the browser works ok, it loses the "wow" factor that sells devices. To compound matters, third party apps that are smooth, responsive and fluid are knocked down a peg or two when they embed the browser (Reddit in Motion is just one perfect example of this - very smooth, until you open an article in the embedded browser).

To sell handsets in the numbers BlackBerry needs, you cannot take such shortcuts with core components. Please spend the money / resources on rewriting the browser using the NDK.

Also rewrite the permissions dialogs. It looks like you've used Adobe AIR. It cheapens the BB10 experience.

Thanks.