Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Super Contributor
towngirl_04
My Device: Playbook; z10 & Love it!

file formats for pictures

[ Edited ]

I e-mailed myself  a picture, from my cell.  When I went to download it, I noticed it was a .png.  I have checked settings & read the manual & can't find how to change this.  Does anyone know?

I had been trying to post a photo to an app & continue to get the error message of "wrong file format".  Couldn't figure out the error until I just e-mailed myself that picture & saw ,png.  NOW I know what the problem is! The app wants only .jpg

TIA

EDITED to add:

With the new updates to the software I can view properties on the picture (cool).  When I view the propteries of these, they ARE .jpg... so why does it email or try to post to apps in a .png?   I don't have HD pictured turned on or anything

Super Contributor
towngirl_04

Re: file formats for pictures

[ Edited ]

Strange.. so I looked at the properties of the photo while on the camera...& it IS a .jpg ... I don't get it

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Are you using a Z10 or a Z30? You posted in the Z30 section but show a Z10 in your profile. I don't have a Z30 to test with but i do have OS 10.2.0.1803 (10.2.0.429) on my Z10 and when I send a photo attachment it shows up as a .jpg.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Super Contributor
towngirl_04

Sorry, I must have hit the link to the z30 area, by accident. I have a z10

I don't know what's going on but some of them come through as png but the properties say it's jpg

& I can't post to an app due to the file format so it's must be trying to send it through as a png as well (it needs to be a jpg for the app)

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Try this: Compose a new email from the Hub. Use the paperclip icon to attach a photo. Does it show the filename with a jpg extension? If so, it is likely your email provider converting it either on the outbound side or on the inbound side wherever you're reading it. The Z10 doesn't save photos as .png.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Super Contributor
towngirl_04

I have sent a picture to myself both off the cell & as you said.. compose & using paperclip.  Everything is .jpg... & the file is a .jpg

yet the one earlier was a png

OK so...  I am dumb. I just figured it out.  The one I sent myself earlier was a screenshot!  I was going to send it into the app support because I am unable to upload to their app (I get a file format error)

I guess it is screenshots that come up png.  I am getting myself confused between the pictures (jpg) I am trying to put into the app & the screenshot. I had no idea they were not the same file format

So, I'm back to square one with the app.  Can't figure out why I can't upload pictures ... my file formats ARE jpg's.

Oi...... 

Thanks for your help

Guru I
John_Clark

Yes, screen shots are png.