Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

B4BB needs to be ramped up significantly

With the news that Android's Play Store is coming to the next version of the OS this program needs to be taken up a level if native coding is to triumph over Android apps.

I hope when BlackBerry announce this 'new addition' they will also release it alongside a whole slew of new initiatives for native developers!

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: B4BB needs to be ramped up significantly

As noted in the other thread, this was apparently just a rumour and one which BB has already tried to dispel: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/I-ve-started-but-should-I-finish/m-p/26681...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

Peter, Thanks for your post this was posted at the same time to try and raise awareness and discussion that any movement down this route (even if it is native apk support) needs to balanced with better support on the marketing side as well.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

That would require BB to do marketing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

LOL

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Actually, which we may not see prime-time network coverage, but I am pleasanly surprised how often I see BlackBerry brand and device advertising on big web sites I visit.

jtegen wrote:

That would require BB to do marketing.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

This may be the case but it has had no effect on app sales for me.
Having been in the B4BB program since the start and only once promoted on BlackBerry World right at the start when there were hardly any devices out there, I can't say this has been a good program for me.

If the roadshow ever gets back to the UK I look forward to getting some answers on this program.
More transparency is needed like;

- How many apps are now in B4BB
- How often do you expect an app to be promoted and in which locations
- How are apps chosen (random, last in, etc.)
- What's being done to keep informing new users to choose B4BB/native apps over android ports

Now that there are a few million handsets out there it would be nice to be put back in the promotion one more time to guage if the uptake from this program and its acknowledgement amongst the user base has improved.

Has anyone been in the BlackBerry World B4BB section twice? Speak up if you have.

Please use plain text.