Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Contributor
michaelrizzello
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry 10 UI Guidelines - Rejection

Hey All,

Does anyone have an idea what this means? My app has been approved for the app store but it continues to fail the Built for Blackberry application.

The only thing my application does not use is the native Blackberry 10 Action bar, is this a requirement for the app to qualify? Also, if anyone can provide some insight besides directing me to the guidelines it would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

Re: BlackBerry 10 UI Guidelines - Rejection

[ Edited ]

We can't really help you guarantee a pass but if you put up some screenshots, along with a description of your app, we may be able to give some suggestions (rightly or wrongly) what the sticking points may be.

You said it continues to fail, how many attempts have you made so far?

It's certainly possible that by not using an ActionBar you've given the tester a reason not to believe it uses the BB10 elements.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
michaelrizzello

step1.png

Very simple app, click the 'Get a Taxi' button and it executes a call to a cab company. Obviously, facebook loads facebook and Refer loads the email. Info button on the bottom right, opens a popup where you can edit some information. There isn't any real sceren transition just manipulating the QML.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

Have you used invocation for the facebook or email part?

Now there has been a lot of pain in this forum when people have made suggestions on other's apps so I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended.

From the screenshot it does indeed not look like a BB10 app in fact it could easily be mistaken for a simple web page.

In fact none of the elements you show are recognisable as such.

The app (from what I can gleam from this one picture) appears to be a very simple app and I think would struggle to claim it represents the best of what BB10 can offer.

Even if you work on changing the elements, add an ActionBar, add invocation, design it to look like a BB10 app I think you will still possibly fail for it just not offering enough of a differentiator.

Have a look at some of your competition, because even though they are different countries and regions your app will be being compared with those, and just a quick look at the 20 or so listed when typing in taxi, comes up with some that look immediately like BB10 apps including obvious share actions and maps showing location.

To make it worse even the best looking of those do not seem to have been B4BB approved.

You only have three attempts to qualify for B4BB so I would think carefully before submitting again without covering what your competition does and adding more.

Best of luck.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
michaelrizzello

Thanks BBSJdev! Appreciate the feedback.
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Without any disrespect, I think if you'd fix this app to have an action bar or tabs, add a menu, an about screen and even BBM functionality it would STILL be rejected for BFBB.

Even if you fix the UI and tick all the other BFBB checkboxes I'm guessing this is a true example of a 'single function' app. It literally only has ONE function: to call a cab.

Don't get me wrong, this is a perfectly useful app. If this would magically call me a cab in any strange city without me having to look anything up I'd probably use it myself.

Still, it's very much 'single function' which is why I expect that after fixing the UI your next rejection will be something like

"Please add more feature for enhance productivity as application right now too simple" (pun intended with the bad english :smileywink: )

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Telus

@michaelrizzello: Even if your app does not qualify for Built for BlackBerry, I think that potential downloaders would have a better opinion of it if you did make the recommended changes. Right now, it doesn't much look like a BlackBerry 10 app, and people will not trust it as much for that reason.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dhruv_mahajan
My Device: blackberry DEV alpha B
My Carrier: *

I think you might have not added UI tools like action bar

their criteria includes UI tools and an integrated service

so you got to enter both these into your app

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
AditiSingh
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: *

I faced the same problem for my app and submitted again.

Please use plain text.