Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Built for BlackBerry Appeals - Launched

[ Edited ]

The Built for BlackBerry Appeals Program has now launched!

You can read the BlackBerry Developer Blog post by Tom Anderson in it's entirety here:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/03/built-for-blackberry-appeals/

Based on your feedback on our Built for BlackBerry program, we are introducing a new process into the program. We are allowing vendors a one-time per application appeal to the Built for BlackBerry vetting decision. This new process is part of our on-going dedication to serving the developer community and is designed to address any concerns regarding the implementation of the Built for BlackBerry criteria into certain high-quality applications.

What’s the Difference Between Appeal and Re-Submit?

Currently, you have the ability to re-submit your application if does not pass Built for BlackBerry. So when should you consider re-submitting your app versus using your one appeal? Only use the Built for BlackBerry Appeals process If you have received a Built for BlackBerry rejection and you believe thecurrent version of your app is Built for BlackBerry worthy. For example, if you have submitted a “single-function” app of significant quality to be reconsidered as part of the Built for BlackBerry program, you may want to appeal. However, you may only appeal one time.

However, if you have received a Built for BlackBerry rejection and have made changes to the application to better align with the criteria necessary to be designated as Built for BlackBerry, then you should re-submit the application since you can have up to three attempts for a positive vetting decision.

Bottom line: if you rework the application, you re-submit. If you think the application should be reconsideredas is, then use your one appeal.

How to Appeal

If you choose not to make any changes to your application and want to enter into the one-time appeal process:

1. Go to the Built for BlackBerry website.
  2. Click on Appeals
  3. Complete the Built for BlackBerry Appeals Wizard.

TITLE_IMAGE

Your appeal will be sent to the Built for BlackBerry Appeals Team where the special panel of Built for BlackBerry Appeals Experts will vet the appeal and record their decision. You will be notified of the decision by the Built for BlackBerry Appeals Team. The decision of the Built for BlackBerry Appeals Team is final.

We’re adjusting the Built for BlackBerry program to include an appeals process, to both respond to requests from you, our developer community, while remaining committed to the goal of Built for BlackBerry: to recognize high-quality applications that showcase the power of the new BlackBerry 10 platform. Thank you for your interest in the Built for BlackBerry program and your feedback. Keep those posts and tweets coming!

-----------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter @IAmTheAllspark
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Built for BlackBerry Appeals - Launched

Thanks for getting this set up.
When will the BFB section in BBW be ready?
Retired

The Built for BlackBerry carousel space in BlackBerry World will be rotated through on a cycle, but a schedule will not be published.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, DA B, DA C, LE Z10 #102, Q10, Z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Kind of bummed that ever since the $10k commitment period started there hasn't been any promotion of BFB on App World. Where as before the period started it was there and the majority of my sales happened before the "1 year" period started. :smileysad:

---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

My Built for BlackBerry app: The Dive Plan
Retired

Right, but the Built for BlackBerry carousel space it coming back to BlackBerry World!  I am just saying we aren't publishing the schedule. 

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Nancy, many of us have been rejected with a generic, canned response. In those cases we simply need more info, not necessarily an appeal. What should we do?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Retired

Ask people to figure out what your app does. Don't give them any clues. Tell them that this is not a test of their ability. It is a test of a new design, and most new designs are **bleep**, so that's the reason that it may appear difficult to understand.

They will do their absolute best. People always do. 

If they can't figure out what your app does or how it works, you have found a design bug.

At this point, they have misunderstood some aspect of your app, and you need to find out what it is, if you're going to fix it.

Simply ask - What are you thinking now?

They're going to ask you questions about the app at this point. Don't answer questions until after the test. Otherwise you will contaminate the user with your insight.

Thank them for their time (and suffering if applicable). Make sure they know that thousands of people now can be spared of the frustration they experienced, once you redesign the app:smileyhappy:

Test your app on one or two more persons if you have the time.

Now you know what's broken. Go home and fix it.

Test again.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Nancy,

We already do frequent usability testing, which is exactly the reason why we decided to deviate from some BB10 UI guidelines where respondents found them confusing or less than optimal. This was a conscious, deliberate decision based on user feedback. But that was not my point, and I certainly don't need an explanation of usability testing.

My point was: with an extensive app that contains dozens of screens and hundreds of UI elements that has taken many months to develop and optimize, a response like "Please comply with BB10 UI" is useless and perhaps even a little insulting. Some more detail is needed, even to evaluate whether some UI can be adjusted or whether an appeal is warranted.

Similarly, many devs have had responses like "Please add more features" when the app already does exactly what it is meant to do (e.g. show public transport times). Bloating it with unnecessary functions such as BBM integration simply for the sake of B4BB "rules" would be counter-productive.

The problems seen in these forums seem to boil down to three factors:

1. the brevity of the response from the tester,
  2. the application of generic B4BB rules where they do not add value and
  3. a suspicion that the tester has overlooked core functionality of the app or - perhaps understandably due to workload - not given it the attention it deserves (often also caused by point 1)

Point 2 and 3 are partially solved with the appeals process, but what about point 1?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Developer
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Reliance

Don't have any BFB apps till now .

Developer
My Device: Limited Developer Edition
My Carrier: WiFi

As BBworld user how could i know if the app is BFB?
If i've helped you use the like button (KUDOS)!
Follow me at twitter: @hektorc
Read my blog: http://hektor.in
Check my GitHub: github.com/hektorcyc