Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Design choice rejection letters (Please post them here)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

For those who have followed my posts you will know I am not happy with the way BlackBerry have handled the $10k commitment and B4BB programs.  They got a huge amount of publicity and convinced a large number of developers to dedicate their time to help make BB10 a success through these programs.

I now feel they have broken those commitments and are busy putting extending and changing goal posts in the program rather than making the decent honourable choice. For me this would mean;

1) Breaking the tightly coupled link between the $10K commitment and B4BB

2) Publishing a non-subjective criteria for what is needed to pass the B4BB program

3) BlackBerry staying out of design decisions and feature choices developers make

This is not about the money this is about living up to the promises you made to your developers on which they made important life decisions. For me if they got a huge amount of press attention out of these programs they should also get a huge amount of press attention out of backing out of them too.

So to aid in this can I ask that you post your app name and rejection letter in this thread so we can show how we have been sorely let down.

If you do not want your app used as an example in press articles please just mention that at the top but please do still post.

Thank you and together lets get this fixed.

--

Be Bold!

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

Re: Design choice rejection letters (Please post them here)

[ Edited ]

I will start, even though Alec has already agreed that this particular rejection line is absurd and would lead to feature bloat...

App: stokLocker

Dear Vendor,
Thank-you for your submission to the Built for BlackBerry program.
The Built For BlackBerry program considers all apps submitted, however, the applications who exhibit the best qualities in our criteria list are the ones who will be successful.
Having reviewed your application against the Built For BlackBerry program we are unable to accept the application at this present time based on the scope of its current functionality. We encouraged you to add more features to improve the app (productivity, communication) value. We think that you need to improve in that area to be eligible for Build For BlackBerry.

To give you more idea about the app that has passed the Built For BlackBerry criteria, please go to the Built For BlackBerry section on the BlackBerry World.
We value your participation and would encourage you to re-apply with a future iteration of this application.

If at any time you have questions regarding the above issue please do not hesitate to email us at BFBtestingteam@rim.com<mailto:BFBtestingteam@rim.com>, or visit our support forums: Built for BlackBerry<http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Built-For-BlackBerry/bd-p/built_for_bb> or 10k Developer Commitment<http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/10K-Developer-Commitment/bd-p/10K_dev_comm>.

As you know, Built for BlackBerry applications showcase the new BlackBerry 10 platform and hardware.  For more information on the criteria we are looking for, please visit the Built for BlackBerry website that deals with the Developer Checklist<https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/criteria/checklist.html> or the Criteria<https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/criteria.html> page.

Best Regards,
Fabio Mendes

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

Have you already started updating your App?

I've tested your App and as explained in many private messages it was rejected for a good reason. It was created using cascades, but only some parts of the user interface were created according the guidelines. The rest is inside a white frame and looks currently just different.

I spent about 2 hours to explain in detail what you could do and replied several times to every question you had. I just tried to get your App improved and perhaps finally accepted for Built for BlackBerry.

This was Saturday, and since then you continued arguing and ranting in several threads instead of trying to fix the current (minor) drawbacky your App has.

I don't want to start a dispute, I'm just simply not very happy to see you're still in this mood.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Helex I was happy to recieve your feedback, and am currently working on incorporating some of it, the problem is it's just your opinion we have no idea of knowing whether you are right or not.

You yourself have ended up with an app that seems to have been designed by committee with a blank space at the front of a list and text that you can't read.  This is not a dig at your app which I have tested and like but for me this is not the app you wanted just the one you were forced to design by BlackBerry telling you what they thought you needed to pass B4BB.

Apple became successful by focussing on design and user experience your app has gone in the wrong direction, design-wise, because of BlackBerries choices.

Everyone else seems to have moved on over this so I will to.

I thought I was trying to help by bringing this issue to a wider audience than just this forum but I will stop now.

The aim of this post was to gather material for questioning Alec in the media but I misjudged the level of apathy here.

We will all wait for Alec's next pearl of wisdom.

Developer
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

BBSJdev wrote:

Helex I was happy to recieve your feedback, and am currently working on incorporating some of it, the problem is it's just your opinion we have no idea of knowing whether you are right or not.

In this case I would suggest you to create here a public Thread and ask for more feedback.

BBSJdev wrote:

You yourself have ended up with an app that seems to have been designed by committee with a blank space at the front of a list and text that you can't read.  This is not a dig at your app which I have tested and like but for me this is not the app you wanted just the one you were forced to design by BlackBerry telling you what they thought you needed to pass B4BB.

You're able to read about the changes here, I were forced by nobody to make this changes. The feedback I got is in this thread: Rejected app for built for Blackberry without specific details

If you have the opinion my App looks too much like "designed by committee" rather than developed by a single person hobbyist thanks a lot for the compliment since I'm only a single person hobbyist without much design skills. I just followed the BlackBerry UI design guidelines, followed every advice I got and integrate every BB service I could imaginate which could be useful except the freemium App model.

BlackBerry is asking for Apps designed according their thoughts how a BlackBerry App should look and feel. If you're searching for your own designs and solutions it's up to you what you do. But in this case you're not creating a Built for BlackBerry App. At least in my Opinion.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Helex, no offence was intended and hopefully this is the last post on this.

Force was applied by either accepting or rejecting your app.

If you ask a thousand blind people to describe what a tree looks like you'll get a thousand different valid answers the only person who can give the answer useful to you is the one who is sighted.

Or another one we British are fond of 'Too many cooks spoil the broth'.

The only opinion that currently matters for B4BB is the reviewer themselves.

Peer review is great and as someone who is trained in design, marketing and business development am fully aware of its usefulness, that's just not what I'm asking for at this moment in relation to this matter of passing B4BB.

Thanks for the offer though and as soon as we know what goal we are coding towards I'll consider the offer. :Helpsmilie:

My Device: 0

Hi everyone,

It looks like there's a lot to discuss concerning Design choice rejection letters, could we please keep our responses polite and on topic?

Thank you for your contributions to this forum!

Best,

Chronos                                                                                                      New to the Community click here  
Community Moderator
Likes2.png    AS3.png    CG2.png