Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Contributor
ph03n1x
My Device: Z10/ Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Tmobile

Problems with B4BB

I think the problems devs are experiencing with B4BB is a symptom of a bigger issue. I think the review system needs to be revamped and standardized.

First of all, yes it is partially an issue that all the port a thon stuff is still pending approvals etc but the fact that it is taking about a month or so is not acceptable in an of itself. A week or so would not be terrible but 4 or 5 maybe even more is a shame and will turn off devs who are coming from other platforms.

The second issue i see is that each reviewer seems to have their own view towards certain things. Two devs may submit apps with similar issues one could be approved and the other denied or both denied for totally different issues. There does not seem to be a standard with this process. Yes strict can be good but if it is equally enforced to all.

A third issue is the fact that the denials are cryptic and confusing. It does not meet this standard. give a few details on what can be done to fix it or where the dev could look would not hurt. As i have been looking at different threads etc. This is an issue i see occur more than once. Maybe have a team just for this issue alone.

Another one that is occuring now is devs are not recieving emails on approvals or denials at times. It would be good to have a spot that the dev can go to and see why there is a denial for the app itself or for B4BB.

These are immediate issues that i can see and identify based on ppl i talk to and things i read

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

Re: Problems with B4BB

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but I'm getting slowly really tired of this. You mentioned you've read at a lot of threads... so, why are you starting now a additional discussion instead of posting your opinion simply over there?

And don't forget to read this: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/02/built-for-blackberry-update-2/

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jawbone
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

While I think that tens of thousands of apps do take a while to review, I completely agree with the inconsistency point. I've had a couple apps denied for reasons that were approved on other apps etc. It's frustrating.

A section of the vendor portal to see why it was denied and tips on how to fix it for future releases would be excellent.
Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

I tend to agree here.

I have 12 apps still in pending with no reply from Appworld team that are now hitting the 1-month in "Pending".

Some recent examples:

I have had an app rejected a few weeks ago because it "wiggles" too much - I havent even bothered reworking and submitting that one

I have an application rejected because they think the 100px by 300px button is too small.  Its a webapp, so changing that image will affect other platforms.  Again, havent bothered rewriting and they havent bothered replying to my emails.  In fact, I have found they usually reply to only 1 in 5 emails asking them for help.

I have now had about 10 apps rejected to date where the rejection is so vague, I was never able to figure out what they were complaining aboutnand have just buried them for BB.

I had one app I had to submit 5 times because the appworld team would only give me some templated rejection response and refused to tell me what the heck the problem was.

Because of the endless mindless issues of smacking my head against the brick wall that is the Appworld Review team, trying a B4BB (which - i fundamentally disagree that all apps need bbm integration anyway) is the last thing I would ever be interested in.  Most of the RIM created apps and games also do not qualify for B4BB if you look at them.

They need to replace, retrain, and build an appropriate team.  B4BB is a symptom of a much bigger problem - not the actual problem.  I build a lot of apps for different clients on different platforms, and lately more and more I cringe thinking about what I have to go through when it comes to BlackBerry.

My chief concern:. Right now should be when RIM has the most developers, testers, SMEs and experts on BB10.  This means this is the best experince we should expect from the AppWorld team.  It makes me nervous about over investing time in BB10 at this time.

But thats just me, and I am a small developer.  And not that important for them at the end of the day :smileyhappy:.

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd

[ Edited ]

Helex,

Assuming you read the first post - this was in response to that post on the devblog I believe.

Edit:. Also, we cant "post" on the blog post - as you so elequently insist on - to save you eyes from reading.  As it has heavy moderation locks to prevent non-marketing friendly community replies like these.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ph03n1x
My Device: Z10/ Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Tmobile

yes @kermed thank you it was a post on that
Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

KermEd wrote:

I have an application rejected because they think the 100px by 300px button is too small.  Its a webapp, so changing that image will affect other platforms.  Again, havent bothered rewriting and they havent bothered replying to my emails.  In fact, I have found they usually reply to only 1 in 5 emails asking them for help.

Have you ever read the design guidelines? If you don't create your App "for BlackBerry" why should it get a Built for BlackBerry certificate?

There shouldn't be any concerns about other platforms. Other Platforms have different User Interfaces. Here we have the BB10 user interface. Use it.

Have you a Name or a Link to this Application?

It's easy to complain. If you really want to get constructive feedback let the community help.

KermEd wrote:

I have now had about 10 apps rejected to date where the rejection is so vague, I was never able to figure out what they were complaining aboutnand have just buried them for BB.

If every developer Applies with every App he has to Built for BlackBerry we have to live and deal with the consequences. A busy and overworked revisor team which is unable to reply to each email they get.

Just my 2 cents. And it is still NOT needed to start a additional discussion. We have already enought.

Edit:

ph03n1x wrote:
yes @kermed thank you it was a post on that

There was no indication or link in your original post that your adressing the Blog Post of Alec. And I'm sure, his words were clear. We should wait and watch the progress before we are complaining again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd

[ Edited ]

Im sorry - but its not up to you to decide if we have a right to complain (edit: or when for that matter).

I'm not going to bother tearing apart the not quite relevent and lengthy post above.  I understood his post and the reference even if you did not.  But I am not here to cater my posts to you or your replies.

To be clear, and not intending to be harsh, there is no benefit to me explaining the errors in your interpretation to you, as I am not seeking your response.  I am establishing a point (on topic to a post) that the Appworld Review team has had a very rocky history with me and consistency would be nice.

I also am fully aware of the guidelines, b4bb is irrelevent, per the context of my post (edit: you missed something important as you keep saying b4bb in reference to me - which means you either have a comprehension problem or are not reading all the posts).  Again, the web app has a live site containing a 100x300 button used on multiple platforms.  Not going to explain beyond that as its irrelevent but given your confusion and annoyance at everones posts on here - maybe you should ask if your replies are a contribution or interruption to the discussion.  Just saying.  But I see several replies in this thread we could have done without which are all a rolling cycle coming from you... Insisting on people repeating what was said above.

Ed

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

Okay, move on if you mean it helps. I offered you to spent some time to review your App and post at which parts I see inconsistency. If you are not willing and ignoring feedback you can continue to try to get a App applied for BFB which contains Buttons and stuff which are not designed for BlackBerry. Good luck!

And the ignorance is at the post which is ignoring all the discussions which happens already in other threads. This discussion would fit there without a problem. No need to start the whole thing again just after we got the promise to get a improved testing and improved communication.

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd

Helex, I highly recommend rereading the posts above.   The fact you are still saying BFB to me shows you still havent read what we wrote.

I have not, and will never, submit an application for BFB as I said in my first post.  So when you keep getting angry and saying BFB over and over again to me, it means nothing as it is irrelevent. I am not trying to be mean, but you are fixated on a nonexistent conversation.

Appworld Review (in general, not BFB) needs major and immediate redesign. BFB is only a symptom of the real problem.  Please, you can stop quoting BFB rules, app guidelines, "using bb10" to me.  Trust me, i mean no offense, but I probably know these even better than you do (which is why I dont have multiple icon colours in my contex menu...)

The reason I posted my experiences above is so that Alec and team can see that ongoing AppWorld Review proceedures are inherently faulty snd trickling down to BFB, so he considers if maybe the proposed BFB solutions may only be bandaiding a symptomnajd not resolving an issue.

Please use plain text.