Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

Progress Manager: what is it?

At the bottom of the User Experience page for the Built for BlackBerry program, it mentions how to handle Progress Feedback.

If your application permits uploading and/or downloading content, it should make use of the BlackBerry 10 progress manager which provides the user with a uniform experience in understanding the progress of these activities.

Do we know what that really is?

Even on the linked pages Progress and Activity and Activity and Progress Indicators it makes no mention of a "progress manager".

Still to be documented?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
fmendes
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: XL

Re: Progress Manager: what is it?

Hi Peter,

The Progress Feedback is will make users feel confident that actions that they want, such as recalling an image or opening a screen, are progressing as expected.

When a process takes longer than expected, it must let users know about the process and its progress. If the user has to wait more than 3 seconds, an app must show a progress or activity indicator.

Regards,
Fabio
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Thanks Fabio, but whoa that's an old question. :-)

I think also that "Progress Manager" was intended to refer to something else, specifically the same system-wide mechanism which BlackBerry World uses to show downloads. When you start multiple downloads, then close the app, you can see the progress by swiping down to see the overlay panel where Rotation Lock, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi appear.

There was at one time some suggestion that this facility was going to be exposed to third-party developers. This clearly hasn't happened yet, but I'm pretty sure this is what was referred to in those docs rather than the simple visual feedback mechanisms to which you are referring. This is why it referred specifically to uploading or downloading of content, and not just any activity that takes more than a few seconds.

I note that the afore-mentioned User Experience page has now been updated, and no longer mentions this "Progress Manager", but only those two simple indicator components I originally linked.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

I don't think this @peter9477 guy is even around any more, any one heard of him? :smileylol:

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.