Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

Re: Promoting Your Built for BlackBerry App/Game

jtegen wrote:
Really like the idea that BFB apps should be at the top of the category list, regardless of the number of reviews. Too bad that it would take BBW a better part of a year to add such a feature.

The better part of a year to add / modify an 'ORDER BY' in one SQL query?

Nice... :smileywink:

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

Lists and threads at forums are nice. And BlackBerry should be the first to provide a List. Not we as a community. Nancy, what about a complete BFB App List accessible at the internet maintained by BlackBerry?

I'm already wondering why BlackBerry isn't providing a list of all current BFB Apps.

My "Promotion Page in BFB App" idea was to have something on the device of the users. Not somewere hidden at the internet. A user would need in my case just a single Built for BlackBerry App to get access to all other Built for BlackBerry Apps.

We would need perhaps simply a blog with RSS feature which covers 100% of the content and not only the newest 10 entrys. Does anyone know a free blog hoster with this feature?

But someone of us would need to maintain the list if BlackBerry doesn't. I could do this job, but I would need to search myself at the store, need to get hints for BFB Apps and we will never get the guarantee to cover 100%.

Hm, maybe we should only cover the BFB Apps in this list which have also the BFB Promotion List Feature included... only Apps which are participating are getting promoted. :smileyhappy:

Please vote via the Like feature if you would participate with your BFB App in such a project. If there is enought positive feedback I will create a separate thread to discuss all details we would need for this.

Developer
blackqtcoder
My Device: PlayBook & STL100-1 LE Z10 & Dev Alpha C

Nancy, I think I can say that we all want a permanent BFB section.

Blackberry will earn more money. We will earn more money. Customers will get quality apps. All people happy.

What is the problem? 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Leandro Cerdan - Duantox Apps
BlackBerry Elite dev
TapyHold, Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Having BBW change to do this. Seems like getting anything changed in BBW takes an act of Congress to occur (and in the U.S., an act of Congress does not get anything done).
Developer
blackqtcoder
My Device: PlayBook & STL100-1 LE Z10 & Dev Alpha C

Our only petition to BlackBerry is a permanent BFB section at BBW. Nothing more.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Leandro Cerdan - Duantox Apps
BlackBerry Elite dev
TapyHold, Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook
Developer
thubalek
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB

On Android I have very simple strategy: Make so awesome app that does not need any promotion from me. With Battery Widget Reborn I got with this strategy to Play Store's frontpage and sold almost 50 000 copies of that app in 6 months.

I rely main on viral marketing made by my users and on word of mouth.

On BlackBerry I decided to do the same.

I decided to ignore Built for BlackBerry (as I'm in doubt about execution of this program) and focused on User's opinion.

Since latest update of BB (when ratings and downloads are used for boost of apps in search) it seems to be viable strategy.

My 2 cents 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
Developer
jaiaca
My Device: Z10

Okay, so I guess it's my turn to chime in about BFB WordsPlus :robothappy:

As I mentioned in a previous forum post, in the month of February I had around 175 downloads (at 99cents)....My promotion during that month was:

• My blog site
  • Created a facebook fan page
  • Ads on bb10apps.com
  • Posted forum threads in a number of sites (crackberry, berryreview, rapidberry, blackberryos, etc)
  • Created a twitter account

Like most people said, facebook/twitter only reach people that who most likely already have/know about your game.

In March, things were so bad (because I think WordsPlus is a better quality game than another particular free one which is kicking my butt in downloads + reviews) that I decided to create a free version of WordsPlus, hoping to expand my user base - visibilty

My free version has now chalked up over 2000 downloads since the first week of March with the same promotions I used with the paid one. And take note that my free version is not BFB approved (I did not submit it nor do I use the icon on my free version)...It's biggest day was when it appeared in the Trending list - people see it, download it and keep it in the trending list, which makes more people see it, download it, etc etc.

It really is all about visibility which keeps you on any particular list - no user is going to scroll down to #354 on any list to download a magically fantastic life altering app/game. People assume if it's good, it'll be high in any list (paid, trending, free, grossing, etc) - this is debatable.

Crackberry is a huge factor like everyone said. I've never gotten a review from them. But it's their site, they can review whomever they want. But BFB is about BlackBerry showcasing "the best" available (by BFB standards)...So then why isn't BlackBerry showcasing them??? 

It's all about visibility, so here my thoughts on how to get it:

• Blog, twitter, facebook, forum posts to promote your own game (sometimes it does actually help)
  • BlackBerry should have in EACH category a BFB section on TOP of the list - after all these are suppose to be "the best" aren't they???
  • BlackBerry should promote us (by name and link) on their twitter account - You made us jump through hoops to qualify so that you have quality apps. Now do a little something for us with your couple million followers  :robothappy:
  • BlackBerry should market BFB in general - I've seen BB10 ads but nothing that talks about BFB apps

I think the biggest thing I've learnt when it comes to promotion is a free app, with or without in-app payments can never hurt. People will download just to check it out and even if they don't like it or play it, it'll help raise you hopefully into the trending list which will give you a big boost and allow more people to find it. I've tweaked search tags and other things but I don't think they has a drastic impact on discoverability.

Also, quality isn't everything. There are alot of apps/games on BlackBerry World which (in my opinion) somehow keep defying gravity and are able to stay on trending/free/paid lists.

Go to BlackBerry World right now and tell me how many BFB games or apps to you see in the top free/paid/trending section.

What are the real benefits of Built for BlackBerry? So far, for me, none.

Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Developer
thubalek
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB

From my experience pushing promotion to magazines, websites etc had very short term effect and it's time and resource consuming. If can't hurt but also help less than people think.

Regarding B4BB: For me it is quite hard to imagine that any committee can select best of bests apps. You still need people that will like it so much that they will buy it, does not matter whether somebody gave it some approval or not.

I think that letting people select what they want and drive charts according user needs is best for everybody. For customers because they will better find what they want, for BB because they will sell more (and get more commission) and for developers because they will sell more as well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
New Developer
hemant19cse
My Device: 9790

K , I think i have got many ways to promote . But the quality always matters . And Built for BlackBerry apps are very good in quality .