Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

Question re "Tools" requirements and use of Python (BB-Py)

The newly posted "Built for BlackBerry" criteria mention in the Tools section that the apps must be written using "tools designed specifically for BlackBerry 10", then lists both Native SDK and WebWorks SDK as examples.

The way it's worded, it appears to me that this would not exclude the use of the "BlackBerry-Py" project, which is a community-driven project to support the development of full BB10 apps written with the Python programming language. Although Python itself is not "designed for BB10", clearly neither is the C programming language, so this must be more about the APIs available.  With BB-Py we should be able to access pretty much any of the BB10 APIs, including Cascades of course, so I would hope to see this as an accepted approach.

Would it be possible to get a clarification on this?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Question re "Tools" requirements and use of Python (BB-Py)

I would guess that they would see any python apps as being NDK C++ apps. I think that they are mostly trying to filter out the Android apps with this wording...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

May as well add AIR to that list. AIR tools were designed for the BB10, and that was excluded.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Just closing out this thread with a note that two of my apps have been approved in BlackBerry World recently, one also getting BFB approval. I accepted Ebscer's answer above.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.