Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Regular Visitor
cryous
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

Rejected. Now what?

Hi,

So I've applied for BFB for one of my apps ( HarmonySketch:  http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/35064358 ) and I got a reply saying that it was declined for the following reasons:

• Please add an application menu to your app. The application menu should have it least one of the following: About, Info, help, and settings.
    • Please use Service Integration (Integration of one BlackBerry Service)

My app already has an application/swipe-down menu and that menu has 1 button (called "more apps") that invokes the browser. "More Apps" launches the browser, which then launches appworld and displays all my other apps to the user.

Here are my questions:

1)  Is it mandatory to have a "help" button/icon in the application menu?

2)  Does invoking the browser count as using a blackberry service (using the Invocation Framework)

Thanks in advance!

New Developer
pranayshirolkar
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 | BlackBerry Dev Alpha B | BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB | BlackBerry Z10 Limited Edition

Re: Rejected. Now what?

Yeah, I am sure about one question of yours, that either of help/support/info/about is mandatory to have in the application menu.
--
Hit Like if you appreciate this :smileyhappy:
Developer
bmorr
My Device: Z10

yes, you need one of those things in your application menu.  Also FYI you can directly open the appworld app instead of requiring the browser to open first by using this code:

Invocation {
                    id: devProfile
                    query {
                        invokeTargetId: "sys.appworld"
                        uri: "appworld://vendor/65375"
                        invokeActionId: "bb.action.OPEN"
                    }

}

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

On the face of it, any use of the Invocation Framework would appear to be sufficient to meet the Service criterion. See https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/criteria.html

I could see that the simplest types of invocation, or certain types, may be considered insufficient. After all, *any* app could have an "Other Apps" link with a minute of work, so perhaps they don't consider that trivial form of invocation to be enough. Allowing that to meet the criterion could devalue the BFB program still more. I've seen nothing documented nor heard anything that would suggest that's the case, however.

(To put it another way, if I were running the program I would reject a trivial use of the IF, unless it was related to the core functionality of the app. I'm not running the program though, and I don't know why they mentioned that item in your rejection.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
ananth1991
My Device: Developer

Is it mandatory to have a "help" button/icon in the application menu?
I think this can be skipped.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

It's not mandatory to have any specific thing in your application menu, but apparently it's mandatory to have an application menu.

As they said above: "The application menu should have it least one of the following: About, Info, help, and settings."

*Any* app can have a simple About menu, so if you see no reason to have Help, just add one of those, with your app name, version, date of release, author, link to your web site, or whatever you want.

Look at other apps to get ideas...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
dhruv_mahajan
My Device: blackberry DEV alpha B

I think you might have given the URL of your apps in your code.But thats not an invoke service.You might have to add invoke service.