Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Rejected app for built for Blackberry without specific details

Ah, but it can only monitor the clipgboard if it is running. If it was a target and embedded in an app, it would then be able to monitor the clipboard and have direct access to multiple saved text information that was previousely copied. Remember flow. BB10 is about not having to leave an app to do something.
Please use plain text.
Developer
mzex
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C
My Carrier: Telenor, Mobitel

Amongst other things i get one rejecting reason in my app which make me laugh. They reported that clicking on the banner is not working. They are trying to click on a placeholder for a banner image (advertising stream is not delivering banners yet).

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:
Ah, but it can only monitor the clipgboard if it is running. If it was a target and embedded in an app, it would then be able to monitor the clipboard and have direct access to multiple saved text information that was previousely copied. Remember flow. BB10 is about not having to leave an app to do something.

Thanks, propably you're right. I will look into this during the weekend. I already have realized that the Built for BlackBerry and 10k Commitment was not created for average spare time developers which are spending all their spare time and are neglecting their Falily during the Christmas Vacation to get everything ready for the 1/21 deadline.

The best solution for my small App would be a background daemon for the database backend. But there is no API at QNX for third-party developers... perhaps for good reasons.

I feel sorry for you. Magellan Compass looks like a really good App, nothing compared to my tool and still failed big time at this B4BB program.

At the Jam's in Berlin and for a friend of mine in London the Buit for BlackBerry sounded like open for everyone.

"Just meet the guidlines, create a good native application which emphasised the BlackBerry expirience." If you don't get $1000 in a year you're out of the 10k commitment. Sounds fair to me since garbage will not make more than some bucks during a year.

I, and all I've asked, thought this Built for BlackBerry program is to show the customers the new Cascades stuff and to seperate those Apps from the fast ported qml, android and marmalade applications which doesn't met the UI Guidlines provided by RIM. But I'm a german and not a native english speaker. Perhaps I got the transmitted euphory wrong.

It's amazing that o2 interactive was not able to met the Built for BlackBerry checklist. Personally I assure I feel sorry for you, but honestly I laughed to tears. But I'm fine now again. I'm sorry. :smileysad:

I haven't laughed because of you, you have tried to help me a lot, I laughed about BlackBerry. I'm awaiting all those outstanding, amazing, entertaining, useful Built for BlackBerry applications. They must me fabulous and groundbreaking!

At least currently I have not a single applications at my DevAlpha which coult met all those criterias, including the preinstalled!  1/30 will get big!

mzex wrote:

Amongst other things i get one rejecting reason in my app which make me laugh. They reported that clicking on the banner is not working. They are trying to click on a placeholder for a banner image (advertising stream is not delivering banners yet).

Same here in a different, small app which only met the design guidelines but nothing else. You should fix this ASAP! The dadline for the big 10k commitment is in 5 days. :Tt2:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

It is upsetting the months that went into an app, follow all the guidelines, add all this functionality to make it one of the best geographical app/tool/social thing, to find out 2 weeks before launch that it is not good enouph to be considered "built for blackberry". Well, it wasnt built for iOS and it wasnt built for Android, so I dont know what it was built for if it wasnt BB.

I'm not at a point to laugh just yet.

With the criteria the way it is, none of the core apps would pass BFBB. Maybe if the calendar app farted when you added an event, that would make it entertaining and receive the certification.

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:
It is upsetting the months that went into an app, follow all the guidelines, all all this functionality to make it one of the best geographical app/tool/social thing, to find out 2 weeks before launch that it is not good enouph to be considered "built for blackberry". Well, it wasnt built for iOS and it wasnt built for Android, so I dont know what it was built for if it wasnt BB.

I'm not at a point to laugh just yet.

With the criteria the way it is, none of the core apps would pass BFBB. Maybe if the calendar app farted when you added an event, that would make it entertaining and receive the certification.

Welcome to my world. :smileyhappy: 

I'm only a small hobby developer, not a designer, not a professional.

Surprise is the first stage, Anger is the second in which you are now. I had a lot of frustration during the weekend and the past days followed by a lot of conversations with Qt devs across the world. I'm currently at the state at which I can only laught and cry at the same time. I will get to Amsterdam for sure!

Lets see in which mood I'm there. Perhaps I will laught hard, perhaps I will boo together with a lot of other devs, perhaps I will buy tomatoes before the event. Let's see what happens! :smileyvery-happy:

The mood is getting interesting. I guess I was one of the first with a rejection. It will get very interesting. :smileyhappy:

"Built dev-relations within months with a lot of manpower, money, trust and love. Destroy it just 2 weeks before the launch. - priceless"

Please use plain text.
Developer
mzex
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C
My Carrier: Telenor, Mobitel

I am coming to Amsterdam too, we can go and drink few beers together to forget about bitter rejection in B4BB :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wallacedigital
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Rogers

jtegen wrote:

Oh wow, you just made my day.

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

wallacedigital wrote:

jtegen wrote:

Oh wow, you just made my day.

The funny part is, he is beginning to use my arguments. :smileywink:

Sorry jtegen, you helped me a lot. Your suggestions were all great. It's just ironic and terrifying to see you fail, too. No wonder we have still no link to a really good B4BB Application. :smileysad:

mzex wrote:

I am coming to Amsterdam too, we can go and drink few beers together to forget about bitter rejection in B4BB :smileyvery-happy:

I don't like beer but apart from that it would be cool to meet. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Developer
meego_man
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

[ Edited ]

@jtegen "With the criteria the way it is, none of the core apps would pass BFBB. Maybe if the calendar app farted when you added an event, that would make it entertaining and receive the certification."

Ahaha, that's the funnies suggestion for calendar app I've ever heard of. I really enjoy to see people that don't loose the sense of humor even in such a frustrating moments. Btw, I've seen your app and it's great, so now I can patiently wait for rejection of mine :smileyvery-happy:

And it seem to me that RIM is about to change their slogan to:

"BlackBerry People Get Things Done... as long as its entertaining"

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

I think, I'll just give it up for the time being. 2 apps rejected, 6 waiting (I'm sure those will be rejected too). I got the rejection details after asking via Vendor support form. Reason (the default ones):

*         Enhanced Communication
*         Increase Productivity
*         Genuine Entertainment Value

plus few minor comments that actually make sense

$10K is already gone, no chance to resubmit and get approved on time. I like the BFB idea, but I won't apply again until I see some approved apps and more detailed criteria; there is no point to waste my 3 submissions.

It seems port-a-thons are the new trend in DevRel; they bring apps (in big numbers of course) and media buzz. Why bother with BFB when you can generate 20 apps with BlackBerry Generator and get $2K for two hours of work?

I bet the last-chance-portathon will surpass 20,000 submitted apps...

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.