Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

Re: Rejected app for built for Blackberry without specific details

[ Edited ]

QuiteSimple wrote:

I think, I'll just give it up for the time being. 2 apps rejected, 6 waiting (I'm sure those will be rejected too). I got the rejection details after asking via Vendor support form. Reason (the default ones):

*         Enhanced Communication
*         Increase Productivity
*         Genuine Entertainment Value

plus few minor comments that actually make sense

$10K is already gone, no chance to resubmit and get approved on time. I like the BFB idea, but I won't apply again until I see some approved apps and more detailed criteria; there is no point to waste my 3 submissions.

It seems port-a-thons are the new trend in DevRel; they bring apps (in big numbers of course) and media buzz. Why bother with BFB when you can generate 20 apps with BlackBerry Generator and get $2K for two hours of work?

I bet the last-chance-portathon will surpass 20,000 submitted apps...

Hey, have you coppied the idea of my App? I got the same reasons for the rejection in the 3rd mail! :Innocent:

Would be good to share the Name of your App. Would like to have a look.

The Built for BlackBerry idea sounded great at the Jam in Berlin. I were very surprised about the 10k commitment but low quality stuff doesn't make $1000 in a year, some bucks if it could fool some guys, but not more. Make less than $1000 and you're out, you need anyway more than 500? different downloads. So sounded like a good idea from RIM to me to convince developers to invest time and effort to learn Cascades.

From my point of view RIM had nothing to loose since the $10.000.000 fund were fix and after it is gone no one would get the 10k. So the first and best 10 to 100 thousands Apps could benefit from the fund. A good investment to have good apps.

Currently it feels like cheating... "let pass 40 apps to the 10k commitments which will create $50k revenue for sure, so we have nothing to pay" 

I developed last week every free minute. This week about 2 hours... deadline is in 5 days. Oh well... :smileysad:

Perhaps I should use next Friday the BlackBerry App Generator, too. Qt, C++ and Cascades are harder to do and $2000 are good money. Since only numbers are counting and not quality I'm in.

New Contributor
wallacedigital
My Device: Developer

QuiteSimple wrote:

$10K is already gone, no chance to resubmit and get approved on time. I like the BFB idea, but I won't apply again until I see some approved apps and more detailed criteria; there is no point to waste my 3 submissions.

Funny how that happens.... I submitted my app for B4BB a month ago, and get the rejection without enough time to make any significant changes (not that I would know what to change since the rejection was so generic).

It's a shame really, it tarnishes the whole program.  

Developer
meego_man
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

"I am coming to Amsterdam too, we can go and drink few beers together to forget about bitter rejection in B4BB :smileyvery-happy:

If the weather stays the same as it's here now you won't drink but rather eat beer :smileyvery-happy: 

Developer
jasoncheung
My Device: Dev Alpha

Oh boy, some of you guys have done so much and still can't get BFBB.  That's really disappointing as the 10k commitment should be used to bring on independents and not big companies that dont need the money.

Developer
helex

jasoncheung wrote:

Oh boy, some of you guys have done so much and still can't get BFBB.  That's really disappointing as the 10k commitment should be used to bring on independents and not big companies that dont need the money.

Yes, pretty sad. This was not how the program was originally presented. Not at the JAM I participated, not at the JAM in London a friend attended and not in the Video's I saw about this program. Even during the Port-A-Thon last weekend they proclaimed "open for everyone" and pointed to the design guidelines and the checklist you have to comply with.

Yes, we could have all read the small prints. It's our own fault. But this is not how you're building a long term relationship with your developers!

If someone like o2 interactive is unable to, how should the small developers manage this?

I had last night some very interesting conversations with other former MeeGo developers, some Qt Ambassadors and 2 Nokia guys. Perhaps we are hypersensitive after Nokia had ditched maemo and the Linux rail together with the Qt framework. But we have so far found nobody who were able to get Built for BlackBerry and the big 10k commitment everyone was talking about.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see the "Genuine Entertainment Value" in the Contacts Application. :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
aesteral
My Device: Blackberry Whatever

Mr. Saunders said that there will be some clarifications "tommorow". Just in time, but not really.
Developer
meego_man
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

WOW, that was highly unexpected after all those rejections I've read about. I've got B4BB for two of my apps! I'll not post the app names just yet, in case the approval was erroneous :smileyvery-happy: Still waiting subsequent e-mail telling me to disregard the previous communication and read the reasons for rejections. Anyway, anyone interested, please, PM me, and I'll give the app names to you directly (with promis you won't post them here for now). 

Developer
helex

The first good news this week, meego_man. (I like your nickname btw. :smileywink:) CONGRATULATIONS!

I got in the meantime a mail by a Senior Project Manager and the program owner of Built for BlackBerry. She has "only some small tweaks she would suggest" regarding my Application, no details yet. We will have a call later today.

Lets see what happens...

Regular Contributor
aesteral
My Device: Blackberry Whatever

That is awesome! Can you please PM me those apps? Will invest a couple of dollars for your 1k goal :smileyhappy:
Developer
PawelGorny
My Device: PP

I have a strange issue and to be honest I do not know what to do. My app was rejected (as a game) and description stated that I shoud improve gameplay. But the problem is that my app is not a game. It is a 'tool' for (scrabble) players and that is why I uploaded it to the Games/BoardGames category. I think if I put it to Utils/somewhere noone  find it, I just choiced the best category in my opinion. But there is no 'gameplay' to improve...

--
Regards,
Pawel Gorny
my apps: http://pawelgorny.com/
PGpgp, Your Reply, Anagrammatist, Texas Hold'em Odds Calculator, Contacts to CSV
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"