Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
asiayeah
My Device: Z10, Bold 9900

Re: Rejected app for built for Blackberry without specific details

Mine was rejected. I checked yesterday in Vendor Portal with a Rejected in the "Built for BlackBerry" column. The comments only said: "Please note that your app has not been accepted into the Built for BlackBerry program, an email will follow with more information.".

I've waited for 24 hours and I got nothing. I've tried to look at my spam folder without finding anything too. How could I know why my app was rejected for "Built for BlackBerry"?

Thank you.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

asiayeah wrote:

.... The comments only said: "Please note that your app has not been accepted into the Built for BlackBerry program, an email will follow with more information.".

I've waited for 24 hours and I got nothing. ... How could I know why my app was rejected for "Built for BlackBerry"?

The only real answer here is that, as they said, "an email will follow with more information".  Please just be patient... they're dealing with a huge number of apps (thousands and thousands) and are doing their best. Many others have been waiting longer than 24h, so I think just continuing to wait is about all you should do right now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
BBPogo
My Device: Curve 9350

Hi Shelby...I suppose the adage here is, better late than never. Thanks for the heads up on Alec's post.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

I've waited for 24 hours and I got nothing. I've tried to look at my spam folder without finding anything too. How could I know why my app was rejected for "Built for BlackBerry"?

Oh well, yes. I know how you're feeling. But I guess they realized during the week the hard way that unhelpful feedback is counterproductive.

I got last week a mail just a few minutes after the rejection. In the meantime I got 3 more rejections but not a single email with explanation. So I guess it is currently normal to get nothing.

And if you're asking now yourself why got he a mail and I not?

The problem of the mail last week: It drove me crazy!

The content had nearly nothing to do with my Application. There was the word performance in a single short sentence and apart from this only links to their documentation and the checklist for BFB. So, as a developer which is willing to improve my stuff until it is exactly how they wanted it, I began thinking about my work and searching for a Bug, for help from any source you could imaginate... to get finally a solution.

I spent the whole sunday. Searching in the totally wrong direction and finally got really, really upset!

And it got worse with every mail I got regarding this topic.

Ask yourself if a mail with just a link to the BFB checklist would help you in your current situation. If so, I could forward you a mail. ;-)

In the meantime they are trying hardly to improved the process. Look at this thread which reasons all the guys got for their stuff: "Genuine Entertainment Value" - if this helps you I would say it would have been in your mail and is also valid for your application without even knowing the name. Improve it!

Sorry to say this, but from my current point of view, if you get rejected it's perhaps almost to late to change almost the whole application before the deadline. If you eagerly want the 10k commitment, improve it as hard as you can and resubmit it just before the deadline and hit Apply. Perhaps you were almost there and you have luck.

If you need a hint, read the last part of my long post from yesterday, read the blog they posted yesterday and download this translator application and use it and try to understand how it works. Go to a application at which you're able to share a text and realize that you're now able to translate this text without leaving the first application.

BOOM! Yesterday I got what BB10 and the invokation framework is about.

In my opinion it would have been a good idea to call this program "the best of the best Applications with the new feeling BlackBerry would like to deliver", but I guess it is to late to rename it. :smileyhappy:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I guess RIM had last year thought there will be in the best case 40k to 50k applications in the store before the launch. And this is a huge target. What had Windows Phone at launch? The big system from Microsoft?! With a marketing budget the most companys can dream of?

In addition to this I would say they thought the most of this 50k Applications would be Android stuff. Look at the Playbook. So the minority of 50k would have been real native stuff, written for BB10 and able to apply for BFB.

So, how many Apps got submitted during the port a thon? I created about 8 (don't know for sure) fast ported (pure qml) or fast written small applications during 2 port-a-thons which I thought they are simple, but still according to the design guidelines. So I would and partially have hitten at each apply button which appears at my BB World account! Have you done so, too?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the forecast for BFB was surely not correct and nobody could have seen this. The staff needs now to handle this before launch (not before deadline, this is your date you have to apply to) - how long will you need to test a application, write a proper and app specific feedback to the developer and compare the app in the meantime to every app you've tested before? 45 minutes? 1 hour? Have you to check it against additional rules? Would you need 2 hours? What if the developer has a additional question (as everyone of us)?

"You say 2,5 hours? Fine. Every staff will get the same quantity. Here are your 1800 Apps. You have time until the end of next week."

I guess some guys at RIM or even the company they have some parts outsourced to (if so) have currently a very bad time.

Currently very sad and frustrating for us, as I explanined I know what I'm talking about. But think about it in the long term! BB10 blew up every expectation RIM had, even before the launch. We are able to see here the result.

Have you realized the panic during the last port-a-thon? The moment more and more people got the clue that they could run out of budget?

If BB10 will be such a success in the mass market like it currently is for us developers, geeks and technophile your App will (at least if it is good enought) get a very big audience.

And this are good news in very haunting times. :smileyhappy:

I really hope RIM is currently producing enought devices. :smileywink:

Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

Oh, a additional comment. I thought until last week the majority of Apps at BB10 will be Android stuff and I haven't liked this idea to have only a few real native Apps. "I don't want a Android device, I love Qt. **bleep**!" :smileywink:

They got "only" 900 Android Apps submitted for Build for BlackBerry. Only 900 developers which were even unable to read the headline of the rules. There must be a lot of native Cascades stuff. At least for me as a C++ Qt guy which needed his time to get used to Cascades this sounds great!

Developer
laurentC
My Device: Blackberry Z10

My app was rejected too last week and still no explanations email !
I submitted a new release with new features but I'm still waiting for the approval before I can apply to BFB.
I think it's too late now...
Maybe RIM should remove the January 21 deadline...

But don't forget we can apply to BFB after the deadline, because January 21 is the 10K deadline and in my opinion, if your app meets the BFB requirements you probably will make 10000$ with it. Maybe not the first year, but it will...
My advice and what I'm doing : polish the app, make it a system enhancement with added-value, with style (moments of charm), integrate it deeply into the system, and be sure people want to buy it, but the most important, will USE it, and recommand the app to their friends.
And you won't need the 10K program.

Best apps are always successfull and I think RIM is doing many efforts to promote them too : look at the App of the week challenge !

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Developer
jetstreamblue
My Device: Z10 LE #00055

jtgen:  I just wanted to say, I can't imagine how Magellan Compass didn't get approved.  I don't even want to think about my app making it now.  Discouraging...

jtegen wrote:

Finally received my rejection email regarding a mapping app of mine (resonable time frame BTW).  I've been asked to improve:

• Enhanced communication
  • Increase productivity
  • Genuine Entertainment value
  • Performance

If any has used the app or seen the features at http://web.o2interactive.com/magellancompass_bb10.html, how does one expect to increase communication, productivity, entertainment and performance in a feature rich, do most anything geographical, image and resource intensive mapping app.  If this app cannot be approved, I dont know what can.

If anyone has suggestions, please PM me or email me direct from the links in the footer.

I've asked for clarification and suggestions.

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
New Contributor
wallacedigital
My Device: Developer

I don't want to disparage FancyTran here (kudos to making it in the program), but I'd love to know how it qualified when so many others did not.  According to Alec:

Apps and games for BlackBerry must:

• Focus on delivering intended content, keeping the screen as uncluttered of controls as possible.
  • Implement gesture and flow techniques, such as peek gestures, for fluid user interaction.
  • Provide effective processor, memory, and power management.

The screenshot shows 5 buttons and a multiselect, with very little content; and there's no gesture or flow.

I think the folks deciding pass or fail are using their own criteria, and it has nothing to do with what was stated.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I had a nice long talk with a RIM person today (phone call). They are reviewing the process and trying to get the testers up to speed. One thing I can share is that *all* 3 areas do not have to be in the app (communication, productivity, entertainment), just one of them. They too were surprise my apps did not get approved. I am now hopeful that my apps might get approved, but until I see it, I am just waiting at this point.

The high level thing is that the app has to look like a BB app (native GUI libraries (Cascade,BBUI.JS, AIR)), must be connected to at least one service (eg BBM), and deliver content in a meaningful/useful way. If you do not have minimally that, you're not going to get approved.

Android apps will not be approved. Right now they are clogging the system up for the rest.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

wallacedigital wrote:

I don't want to disparage FancyTran here (kudos to making it in the program), but I'd love to know how it qualified when so many others did not.

[...]

The screenshot shows 5 buttons and a multiselect, with very little content; and there's no gesture or flow.

I think the folks deciding pass or fail are using their own criteria, and it has nothing to do with what was stated.

Test the application!

For me it looked also like every other translator I got on some different devices. Noting special... and during testing I even found a bug. BUT, open a Text application from which you are able to share to invoke targets.

FancyTran integrates itself into the BlackBerry10 system and as soon as you have it installed you are able to translate text from every Application you're using. Thats the point, THIS is the power of BB10 and I'm absolutly sure this was the reason it got accepted.

Perhaps there are many other Translator Applications which integrates itself into the system like FancyTran, but FrancyTran was perhaps the most feature complete compared to other translation applications.