Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Trusted Contributor
neilwick
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Rejected app for built for Blackberry without specific details

Test the application!

For me it looked also like every other translator [...] BUT, open a Text application from which you are able to share to invoke targets.

FancyTran integrates itself into the BlackBerry10 system and as soon as you have it installed you are able to translate text from every Application you're using. Thats the point, THIS is the power of BB10 and I'm absolutly sure this was the reason it got accepted.

When I read this a few days ago I finally understood how invoke works and why it's so important! Yes, I think this is really the key to BB10 power. We really need more integration like this and I'm dedicated to finding ways to put this power into my apps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

neilwick wrote:

When I read this a few days ago I finally understood how invoke works and why it's so important! Yes, I think this is really the key to BB10 power. We really need more integration like this and I'm dedicated to finding ways to put this power into my apps.

Thanks, I updated in the meantime my own Application ClipMan (the one I had my main issue with) and it is now itself a invocation target. I also changed a lot of other stuff and have now nearly a complete new User Interface. I applied to BFB for a second try, still not sure if it could finally make it. But the reviews I got so far are a good sign, the changes I made were changes in the right direction. At least the users seems to be fine how it works currently. And in the end the customer satisfaction should be the important thing. With or without BFB seal.

In the meantime (4 weeks) I got 2 other Apps rejected, 4 are still pending, including ClipMan, DreamRemote and RailroadGermany.

The hard Task: Not every Application is suitable to be a invocation Target. We have to find for every application suitable "BlackBerry10" features.

At my App DreamRemote it is totally unpractical to make it a invocation target, what should I sent to this App?

And at RailroadGermany it would perhaps work if it gets invoked with GPS coordinates from within the Maps application, or if I could filter it before with Names of Towns and Citys. But I'm currently not at this level of functionality and for "only names of Towns" the invocation framework is unable to handle such a preselection.

In the end it depends strongly of your own project, there is no magic bullet out there. It's a hard challenge.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick

I have started a list of approved BFB apps. I'm hoping we can learn something somwthing from looking at those apps, or at least the screen shots in BlackBerry World.

My current listing is here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Built-For-BlackBerry/Approved-Apps-and-Games/m-p/2160819#M699

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick

helex wrote:

At my App DreamRemote it is totally unpractical to make it a invocation target, what should I sent to this App?

In looking at DreamRemote, you're probably right that it might not make a good invocation target, but integrating BlackBerry Payment Service to upgrade the trial version to the paid version would also qualify as a "service."

Built for BlackBerry puts a kind of "BlackBerry stamp of approval" on your app and anything poor about your app could reflect on BlackBerry as a company. Given that, I think you need to be careful about quality. You have several spelling mistakes that need to be corrected:

adress should be address (in Help)

bouqet should be bouquet

voulme should be volume

Why doesn't the "exit" button start with a capital letter as all the others do? It seems sloppy to do this.

The symbol on the power button looks "jaggy." It needs to be a higher resolution image so it looks smooth and professional. The same could be said for the coloured circle graphics. They should be anti-aliased, although this is less noticeable. The other button symbols seem to have a grey outline on close examination, but at first glance they just looked blurry. I think they look a little out of place when the text on other buttons looks very sharp.

These are just a few suggestions which are meant to be constructive criticism. I'm not sure whether these changes would help with Built for BlackBerry certification.

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

[ Edited ]

neilwick wrote:

In looking at DreamRemote, you're probably right that it might not make a good invocation target, but integrating BlackBerry Payment Service to upgrade the trial version to the paid version would also qualify as a "service."

Yes, it would have been a really good idea. Sadly I uploaded the first version of DreamRemote back in November before realizing this. I uploaded the Demo later, but having 2 versions of the same application in the store is a bad idea. I can just discourage everyone doing so. My next two projects I'm currently working on will have included in-app-payment, at least I hope I will get it working. :smileywink:

But at DreamRemote I have now a problem quite some developers are facing. I'm unable to change the paid version to free, and even if I create a ticket and ask nicely I will annoy those people which have already bought DreamRemote since I can't transfer their licenses if I integrate in-app-payment to upgrade from trial to paid. I even can't contact those customers to just sent $5 via paypal. :smileysad:

So I guess I'm stuck. And with every day I'm waiting it will get even more impossible to revert this decision.

To have at least a small bit of integration I added in several places Buttons to get fast to the Wifi Network settings. Desperate, but the most plausible feature I could have imagined.

neilwick wrote:

Built for BlackBerry puts a kind of "BlackBerry stamp of approval" on your app and anything poor about your app could reflect on BlackBerry as a company. Given that, I think you need to be careful about quality. You have several spelling mistakes that need to be corrected:

adress should be address (in Help)

bouqet should be bouquet

voulme should be volume

Why doesn't the "exit" button start with a capital letter as all the others do? It seems sloppy to do this.

The symbol on the power button looks "jaggy." It needs to be a higher resolution image so it looks smooth and professional. The same could be said for the coloured circle graphics. They should be anti-aliased, although this is less noticeable. The other button symbols seem to have a grey outline on close examination, but at first glance they just looked blurry. I think they look a little out of place when the text on other buttons looks very sharp.

Thanks a lot for this list of issue you've sawn. I guess I have some dyslexic related issues. I will fix those as soon as possible and try to improve the graphics. Hopefully during the weekend. Today is Valentine's Day, my girlfriend would disagree if I try to spent the whole evening in front of my PC. :smileywink:

neilwick wrote:

These are just a few suggestions which are meant to be constructive criticism. I'm not sure whether these changes would help with Built for BlackBerry certification.

Yes, I know. I'm grateful for every suggestion. Even if it doesn't help me other developers may profit from this as a example.

In fact, after my first App was rejected I gave immediately up to get DreamRemote into the Built for BlackBerry program since the whole UI concept differ in many ways from the UI guidelines. So I concentrated myself to Apps which may have a chance and stopped the development of this one until the deadlines have finally passed.

I would have already changed the price point of DreamRemote to $0.99 to make it more attractive, but this would remove the current state at the Built for BlackBerry program. So I can only push a new BAR file, but I can't change anything at the descriptions or something like this.

Surprisingly DreamRemote is since the beginning of the Built for BlackBerry program in the pending state. I applied in the moment the Button appeared. I'm currently wondering why it wasn't rejected within a week like my NativeNews app. This currently creates for me the illusion it could have a chance. But I need to be realistic, I guess. The testing team is even unable to check the function of the application since they would need a really expensive DreamBox receiver from dream-multimedia to check if it really works.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick

Thanks for the warning about having two versions of the same app. Now I understand better why that is a bad idea.

The Wi-Fi settings button is not a bad idea but I would say you should spell it with a hyphen and a capital F since that seems to be preferred and that's what BlackBerry uses.

I don't think it's ever wise to ignore your girlfriend on Valentine's Day, so the computer stuff can definitely wait.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
luko
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]
  Did You get any response from Build for BlackBerry testing team after this standard message with (or without specific) reasons of rejection?   There is information saying "If at any time you have questions regarding the above issue please do not hesitate to email us at ..."   I've sent them 2 e-mails and since 25th of January I didn't get any message from them.   @jtegen - Thank You one more time for suggestions about UI of my app.  
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick

[ Edited ]

Apparently, the February 18th 10K deadline may have been extended until they catch up: https://twitter.com/timothywindsor/status/303658569558028288

EDIT: or not -- the page says that the program is closed.

Please use plain text.