Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Rejected app for built for Blackberry without specific details

[ Edited ]

Unless those that got approved are not on this forum, it seems to get approved is very diffilcult to obtain.  I do think the bar should be high, but not impossible.  I dont want to see apps with a B4B stamp and I find myself saying "really, that got approved!".

My feeling is that since this is new to developers and testers, that they should relax the 3 fails and you're out until everyone can be better informed on what exactly is meant by BFB quality.  Eventually, when I do receive the official failed email, I can act on it, but what concerns me if round 2 might bring in more objections and then I am lost for good - one last attempt forever.

It almost seems that there should be an advisory board that can review apps prior to a BFB submission to reduce the chances of rejection.  If I knew the details of the criteria, I would more than happy to review apps to increase quality and increase the probability of acceptance.

I am just waiting for the detail that my app takes up too much memory or CPU.  Compared to what will probably be my answer.  Some apps take up more resources (images, sound, etc.) and some environments (by their nature) take up more resources (AIR vs. native).

Regular Contributor
ametller
My Device: Not Specified

Yeah, in my opinion the criteria should be far more specific.

Maybe I'm "lucky" as I have received the rejection email merely 36 hours after my application got rejected, however what bothers me is that, amongst the criteria of why my application was rejected appeared:

Genuine entertainment value

which I find valid for a game, but... I think not applicable for an application... or maybe I'm wrong and I should put some minigames before storing the car's position on my car finder application...

Developer
meego_man
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

[ Edited ]

@ametller ahaha, you might add few fake positions and let the user guess which one is real for his car. And then ask the reviewer to use your app in real situation. He/she will have a lot of entertainment  :smileyvery-happy: But jokes aside, looks like they messed up all criteria by now

Developer
jtegen

BEGIN OT:
No that's good. Show the cars position, and when the owner gets there, have it play a sound and splash "Sorry, just kidding. You're car is not here". And then show the car a block away. Do that 3-4 times. That would make it entertaining.

Or have them select the car and prompt them to answer three questions: What is your name; What is your quest; What is your favorite color. And if they get any wrong, have the app delete the cars position. That's entertaining.

BlackBerry People Get Things Done, as long as its entertaining.
END OT.
Regular Contributor
ametller
My Device: Not Specified

Hahaha I laughed a lot with both suggestions. This is something that should definitely exist!

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

So, after getting the first, vacuous, email with not much more than a link to the checklist and the in my own opinion very, very disappointing Mail from Jason B., Technical Administrator at RIM I got finally also such a text module mail. My content for ClipMan:

• Enhanced Communication
  • Increase Productivity
  • Genuine Entertainment Value

Regarding Communication, they added twitter and facebook last week as invocation targets. So I were unable to add those to my App since I have submitted it to QA last december. It has taken 3 Weeks to pass the QA and I were finally able to hit Aply for the B4BB program. EMail and SMS are still undocumented, so I can't add those.

If anyone would like to make some suggestions how I could improve the productivity and add a Genuine Entertainment Value I would be very thankful. Currently I have no Idea. Perhaps I should add a pink guinea pig in the background of the Textbox? Any Ideas?!

If you want to test it search for ClipMan at the store. There is a free, but limited version. ClipManLite.

Developer
jtegen

Some ideas:
Increase productivity.  Make your self an invocation target so other apps can embed your apps so that I can copy something directly into ClipMan (and recall it).  Expand it beyond text.  Include images, voice.  Allow images to be cropped, sized and copied easily.  Edit voice to clips and access those clips easily between apps.

Entertainment Value: Animate the saving and accesing of resources.  Add transitions between pages.  Add a sound f/x when save is finish.  Show an icon of what is saved (mime type) if you have text, images and voice.  Have the background more interesting.

$0.02

Regular Contributor
aesteral
My Device: Blackberry Whatever

[ Edited ]

The whole "Productivity", "Entertainment", "Communication" thing is nonsense. If you take a look at the Developer Checklist (and I'm sure you did!) you'll see that those are marked as "one must apply". That means that you should not be concerned about entertainment value of your totally boring financial analysis app.

According the rules, of course.

In my case I've also received an email about insufficient "Entertainment value" of my communications app. Was a little enraged. Still am.

Developer
jtegen

Finally received my rejection email regarding a mapping app of mine (resonable time frame BTW).  I've been asked to improve:

• Enhanced communication
  • Increase productivity
  • Genuine Entertainment value
  • Performance

If any has used the app or seen the features at http://web.o2interactive.com/magellancompass_bb10.html, how does one expect to increase communication, productivity, entertainment and performance in a feature rich, do most anything geographical, image and resource intensive mapping app.  If this app cannot be approved, I dont know what can.

If anyone has suggestions, please PM me or email me direct from the links in the footer.

I've asked for clarification and suggestions.

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

[ Edited ]

The 3 EMails I got in a row for the same Application are a sign that they realized that something is going in the wrong direction... but this still feels very bad and unprofessional.

My own opinion:

The B4BB program shows currently very well how a company builts with a lot of effort developer relations and f*** them up within a single week. :smileysad:

jtegen wrote:

Some ideas:
Increase productivity.  Make your self an invocation target so other apps can embed your apps so that I can copy something directly into ClipMan (and recall it).  Expand it beyond text.  Include images, voice.  Allow images to be cropped, sized and copied easily.  Edit voice to clips and access those clips easily between apps.

Entertainment Value: Animate the saving and accesing of resources.  Add transitions between pages.  Add a sound f/x when save is finish.  Show an icon of what is saved (mime type) if you have text, images and voice.  Have the background more interesting.

$0.02

Making ClipMan a Invocation Target would be pointless from my current point of view. ClipMan is monitoring the Clipboard for changes. Copy something to the Clipboard means storing it in ClipMan. Perhaps you need it later again or delete it with all other unprotected stuff using the command "clean up", it's up to you. I will think about making ClipMan a invocation target. But it will feel like a duplicate, unuseful function in my opinion.

And regarding Images, I'm sure it is currently not supported by BB10. I haven't found any possibility including the Browser to Copy a Image to the Clipboard. Perhaps since the latest release because I checked this the last time back in August.

Voice command would be a Idea. But I'm sure if BB10 contains Voice control it will contain also a function to dictate a text to a textfield.

Hm, so perhaps the Invocation Target...

Transistions between pages are already there. If I would add my own I would infringe the design guidlines. Or am I wrong? And playing a sound when the database adds a recordset... oh well. If this is what developers have to do to create great Built for BlackBerry Applications I'm afraid I need to wait for Jolla Mobile to get a mature Device for my personal use. :smileysad:

Edit:

@jtegen: Welcome to my World! :smileyhappy:    
(I had here "what about" making it a invocation target, but sarcasm doesn't help and your suggestion was perhaps still very useful - good luck)

Ah, and Hey! Lets create a competition out of this! ClipMan has only 3 Points to Improve, Magellan Compass has 4. Beat this! :smileyvery-happy:

Oh well... I will watch now some TV. I'm so tired of this... :smileysad: