Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: This program is a joke

I dont think its the task of the developer community to make scientific research in order to get a picture why an app might be rejected. 

I really hope you have success with contacting Alec Saunders. And I hope someone from BB will have a look at this section of the forum und give us at least some kind of support. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:
You may find by being very vocal you end up getting it approved. I have a suspicion that's how the others got in too. It's not in my nature though.... :-(

It causes a really cold feeling and a bad taste in my mouth to read this lines from a BlackBerry Elite member. I had this thoughts in Amsterdam while looking especially at a certain approved App, but I were too afraid to say lound what I had in my mind. It was not the same, but a thought in a similar direction. And I were sure you would get your stuff approved without a problem, too. I were totally wrong and I hope for the whole program you're also wrong and there is more invisible stuff behind the curtains of the Built for BlackBerry program.

I would feel myself very bad if being vocal was the reason to get one of my own Apps accepted instead of spending several days and nights to improve it and make it as perfect as I were able to before resubmitting it. At least three of my other submitted Apps were in the meantime rejected. So it doesn't depend on the username, the achievements in the past or a Elite membership. Your case is at least a proof that a Elite membership seems to be not crucial. I hope we get also a proof that being very vocal isn't crucial, too. At least I have never seen the author of the approved BFB App FancyTran over here, I'm not aware of him.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

helex wrote:
I hope we get also a proof that being very vocal isn't crucial, too.

I hope nobody misinterprets my thoughts, and perhaps yours, on this. I don't actually think that "begin vocal" is necessarily wrong in a general sense. It's not my style, but it can be a very good thing, provided it doesn't result solely in an approval in one specific instance merely because the developer bugged them long enough that they gave in.

What would be crucial is if, as a result of "vocalness" by a developer which results in them changing their mind, they re-reviewed past rejections or updated the program description to clarify things. I have hopes, and expect, this is still an action that is forthcoming. They haven't come clean yet on "the Lotto app" example. And for these bottom-end apps, with some approved and some not in spite of there being no clear differences between their scope and user benefits, I would like to see either an invitation to resubmit some of them for re-review (presumably based on updated guidelines) or actually some of them removed from the BFB program (also based on updated guidelines).

If "vocalness" were all it took for the borderline apps, this would be very unfair to developers who don't, for example, have a strong enough proficiency in English to advocate well for their own app.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

And I thought the explanations that I got (or in one case didn't get) for my apps was bad.

About a week ago I heard back from BlackBerry in regards to my app Runaway Trains (appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/90863/). I was unsure if this would pass, and given that it is a landscape only game with (admittedly) sub-par graphics, and a UI that is much more PlayBook than BB10 there was plenty of reasons for BlackBerry to possibly reject the app. Instead the reasons I got were "Please add capability for upgrade or buy new item" despite the fact that the app does have an in-app upgrade option (which is 100% the only monotization approach for this app), and "Please add background sound" which I personally find to be very annoying, and if I were to add this, I would disable by default.

Honestly the Built for BlackBerry program appears to be (at best) a lottery. My advice would be to just resubmit your app and see if you get lucky next time. The quality of the app has proven to be completly irrelevent.

Or else submit something that would be better as an auto-starting gui-less app. Thoses seem to be popular with the built for blackberry program...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

I definitely do not want to get approved 'for causing a sh*tstorm', no. But I see what you mean.

I got an email from Nancy McMillan who said that after she heard about my reaction she personally reviewed the app. Almost everything she said shows me that she doesn't understand how to use this app.

The thing with this app is: It's for a specific target audience. That audience will buy this app and love it. They have on PlayBook and they will on BB10. It tends to get nothing but great reviews. If you however have no idea how to use this type of calculator it's gonna be a problem. I even point that out in the app description. It would be like giving the keys to my car to my 9y old daughter. Not good. 

I want this app to be approved because I strongly believe it's the best in it's kind. And it's definitely made for BlackBerry.

From the email I gathered that the team has been unable to pull up any of the Cascades screens because they don't know how to use a HP-style calculator.

I've explained everything to her so let's see what happens next....

Again, To Be Continued...

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

I hope nobody misinterprets my thoughts, and perhaps yours, on this.

It's not my opinion. It was just a fast thought for a short moment. It's this dangerous "oh, this was accepted, why wasn't mine?" moment which leads to this kind of thoughts and frustration. In my opinion this is the main issue which should get adressed by BlackBerry. Avoid developer frustration and be as clear and open as possible.

A very hard task and nearly impossible to solve considering how many Apps may have been submitted to BFBB.

I as a hobby developer am always comparing my work with the work of other developers. It's my passion. I want to get it working in a good way. And I'm sure so are doing the most developers over here. Looking and comparing the current BFBB Apps with their own.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sk13
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: MTS

My calculator was also rejected. It's a very simple one and can't be compared to yours though. Luckily it wasn't rejected for being too simple but I'm still confused about "not following UI guidelines" part. I've read them many times and I'm pretty sure that I did follow them. The calculator has two different custom skins, but the buttons are of proper sizes and are animated. Menus are native Cascade ones.

Specifically we found your application does not meet the criteria as outlined in user benefits and would encourage you to consider enhancements like:
·         BlackBerry 10 UI Guidelines
·         Integration of one BlackBerry Service

My app does integrate with BBM using Invocation Framework and works with clipboard. In checklist it was stated that:

...your app must seamlessly integrate at least one of the following services:
- BBM Social Platform
For the purpose of the Built for BlackBerry program, the following will also be accepted as a BlackBerry Service requirement:
- Invocation Framework

So I think it fulfills these requirements.

I've written a detailed explanation to B4B team but got a short generic response with recommendation to read the B4B guidelines which I've already done many times.

My subsequent email was ignored. I don't know what to do.

Here are the screenshoots:

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco

Funny. My app actually has all the stuff your app got rejected for. But got told it's 'too simple' :s

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

TheMarco wrote:

Almost everything she said shows me that she doesn't understand how to use this app.

[...]

If you however have no idea how to use this type of calculator it's gonna be a problem. I even point that out in the app description. It would be like giving the keys to my car to my 9y old daughter. Not good. 

And I guess here we have the main point. The core problem. My App (ClipMan) had a similar drawback. It was not clear from the first second how to use it. I've written "a thesis" during the weekend and published it yesterday: Link (I guess it's currently anyway hard to miss :smileylol:)

Have you thought about a kind of short Tutorial for the beginners and a detailed built in user manual? Perhaps also as a pdf document which you could open by simply sharing it to a at the Z10 installed pdf viewer.
Step by step instructions how to use this kind of calculator and why it is so much faster compared to normal calculators (a lot less buttons to press)
Btw, have you also developed the HP calculator emulation Application "free42" for the Nokia N900? 
I gave totally up on this for similar reasons. I were as a Casio fx-991MS user simply faaaar toooo stupid to use it correctly. :smileyembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco

The thing with this app is that there's really no sense in creating a huge tutorial that attempts to convert people who don't know RPN calculators into people who do. It's really the kind of app you either know how to use or not. I mean for example say I come out with an SSH client. Obviously only UNIX folks are going to be excited about that and they're not going to need any explanation on how to use your SSH client app.

This app is basically like that. I have never had anyone purchase it and then write a bad review and/or email me 'You sold me something I can't use!!!' which proves this point. People would definitely get mad if they bought my app for $4.99 only to discover it's useless to them. This really hasn't ever happened.

Please use plain text.