Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

Re: This program is a joke

By Application Menu you mean the Menu which appears by swiping with the finger down from the top of the screen?

If I understood the UI guidelines correctly it is required to have there at minimum a Button which leads to a about screen. So you really should put some content into this menu.

If I may make a additional suggestion. Your App is very good to imitate the original design of the HP calculators. But there is in the upper right some unused space near the HP Logo. Perhaps you could put there a often needed BlackBerry only feature. Perhaps the Share Button, or a History with all commands and results you have entered since the App was started. Something HP had not included in the original but could still be very useful.

And to mention again your rival from the maemo platform free42 (Nokia N900) - the author of this application had tweaked the original Landscape Layout to work in Portrait, too. Perhaps you could create and invent yourself a second layout with rearranged Buttons which works also in Portrait (good for Z10 users). So your new Layout in Portrait, if the user wants the original HP experience hold the Device in Landscape.

Have a look: (I know, a very old model compared to your HP calculator, but I guess you get a Idea)

And at least (again) a short manual if a tutorial is too much work for you. :smileywink:

"...short description and a link to Wikipedia which opens the browser via invocation target? ...or / and a link to a official HP documentation?" :smileyhappy:

I doubted also if my App could make it ever to this program, but I thought it may be a good idea to improve it beyond the level I've created before with all the sugesstions and feedback I got over here. Just to get more user satisfaction and have this way more success in the long therm. And I love myself the new features and enjoy it even more to use it.

Don't rush to change now something fast. Think about every suggestion, make a list. Look what may be a good idea, compare other projects and take your time. It won't hurt to improve it beyond the suggestions from Nancy, I'm sure she wouldn't make promises "if this works, then...", your App has still to get thru all levels of the testing. There is no sideloading. At least I hope on behalf of the whole program. Good luck and keep us updated! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

One more thing(tm)...

What about adding a customized view to the task switcher?

640_Part11 - Task View.jpg

In your case displaying the last calculation result in a well designed but still readable way and a scetch of some typical HP calculator buttons below to keep the design. Somehow useful and a integrated BB10 only feature.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

@Helex, your suggestions are good, but i want to remark, the calculator, as the OP wrote -  was rejected  because "Apps that perform a simple single function such as play a noise or display a graphic are not eligible for this program."

Do you think the improvements you mentioned will change anything?

I think, he can spend additional houres and days, but its still a calculator. And if BB does not want this kind of calculators, adding additional features to get BFBB can be a huge waste of time.

For the target audience there are already more than enough features.

The problem is that some of the criteria are not comprehensible and very subjective and the examples are misguiding. As a result the reasons for a rejection are not comprehensible too. And when a contact to the reviewer is more ore less impossible, the developer is left in the dark ( Meanwhile i had success to reach BB for more information  regarding my specific questions and i want to encourage you to be LOUD ).

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

I agree my app also got refused with productivity and communication given as the vague reason.

What a joke and leaves a sick taste in my mouth about BlackBerry and their promises.

How on earth can 'Tipster' and 'DingTicTic' two basic apps that can be written in a few days be more productive or more communicative?

What qualification does Fabio have (my reviewer), something I remember from my University days is that more features often leads to a worse application has Fabio even thought about this before throwing away this incredibly vague comment?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

By the way, I'm pretty much just moving on as far as this whole thing goes.

I've given up entirely on the $10K commitment program, which I have to say appears to have been very poorly executed and is a huge disappointment to me as an unofficial evangelist to other developers. I've helped promote the idea of it, and supported BlackBerry to help get people on board with it, but I feel somewhat betrayed because I put some of my own credibility on the line for them with this. It hasn't turned out to be what we were sold.

I've given up on my existing apps being approved as Built For BlackBerry either until I add significantly to them (i.e. noticeably more functionality than many of the bottom-end ones which are approved, so there's no possible argument against approving them), or until they significantly change the way they're administering the program. This would require far greater communications, clearer guidelines, an enhanced process, and possibly removal of some of the currently approved apps.

I'm working on new apps which have more scope. When it's time, I'll submit them to whatever future evolution of the program is in place at the time if it's still there, and I'm confident they'll be approved. The bar is still so low, in a general sense, given some of the ones that have been approved. It's not like it's really that hard to qualify, for apps with maybe twice the functionality of the ones we've been debating here.  That's not particularly hard to do... it's just a somewhat bigger effort and therefore bigger investment risk than we'd been led to believe would be required.

Time will tell how much value (let's call it "developer benefits" ;-) ) this BFB program really has anyway. With enough customers purchasing BB10 devices, many of our apps should make substantial amounts of money anyway, and very likely enough to justify their development (even without the $10K program). I was never counting on the $10K... was just hoping for a bit of insurance, but I always thought my own apps could make more than $10K if BlackBerry succeeds at this anyway.

So I'm sticking with BlackBerry, but I've had it up to here with these deadlines and other carrots which, at least for me, are amounting to nothing so far but a source of stress and a wasted direction for my efforts.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

georg22 wrote:

@Helex, your suggestions are good, but i want to remark, the calculator, as the OP wrote -  was rejected  because "Apps that perform a simple single function such as play a noise or display a graphic are not eligible for this program."

Do you think the improvements you mentioned will change anything? 

To be honest, I have no Idea!

I simply made some "desperate" sugesstions how he could improve his App to get a better chance.

I have myself not really a idea what should be integrated and is needed. After checking out some of the rather single function Built for BlackBerry Apps at the booth in Amsterdam I thought with some minor improvements one of my "single function Apps" should now pass Built for BlackBerry without any kind of problem. Even if I never considered before to submit it for this program it was worth a try.

The App is NativeCounter++  http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/20395556/

I'm not very proud of this App, but it does the core functionallity and this very good. I created it initially especially for the Port-A-Thon to get this way my Hotel in Amsterdam paid. At least I thought it is superior to a unsatisfying Android App. And personally I would use it myself rather frequently compared to a App which is made especially to annoy a bussy waitress while your trying to figure out how much you would like to pay for your meal.

The screenshots are still from Version 1.0 but also Version 1.1 has the same BB10 design Language "concentrate on the important stuff". I hate myself bloat ware software which displays a 4MB BMP in the Backbround without delivering any kind of benefit.

Features besides being a stupid +1 counter:
 - keep the Result, no matter what happens (run out of battery, close the App)
 - vibration feedback
 - acoustic feedback
 - Fullscreen Mode (tap everywhere at the screen to count, swipe to get the menu)
 - set start Value
 - Countdown Mode (increment and decrement counter)
 - share Result to many Targets (including BBM, SMS, Mail, ClipMan, NFC)
 - change increment Value

I saw a very similar Android App recently at the TV. It was featured as a new fitness gadget. Tap the display of your Smartphone with your Nose while making pushups to count them. Okay, I'm not here to judge about the quality of the TV program and I were really surprised to see such a **bleep** at the TV, but anyway...

It was rejected just like my NativeNews App within 2 days. I got the same text blocks for it like everyone is getting. I have no Idea how some "similar" single core function Apps with less features may have passed. At least my Buttons in the App are all made according the UI guidelines (color, frame, ...)

georg22 wrote:

I think, he can spend additional houres and days, but its still a calculator. And if BB does not want this kind of calculators, adding additional features to get BFBB can be a huge waste of time.

For the target audience there are already more than enough features.

Spending additional hours to improve a App are not a waste of time if it leads to more functinality and improved user expirience and satisfaction. If he is able to make it more attractive to new user groups and a broader range of users he should have a good benefit in the long term.

georg22 wrote:

The problem is that some of the criteria are not comprehensible and very subjective and the examples are misguiding. As a result the reasons for a rejection are not comprehensible too. And when a contact to the reviewer is more ore less impossible, the developer is left in the dark

I fully agree on this. The current situation is not very satisfying.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jetstreamblue
My Device: Z10 LE #00055
My Carrier: Telus

peter9477 wrote:
By the way, has anyone ever got back a response when they responded by email to the original rejection email? Weeks ago I sent back a very detailed response explaining why the app is not "simple single function", but I'm quite sure at this point that I'll never hear back through that channel...

I'm waiting for a response myself, as I wrote them an e-mail explaining that every reason they gave for rejecting my app was due to them not testing the paid upgrade version (availabe via in-app purchase).

Apparently, it looks like the only way to get a response is to make some noise via social media...  which I really am not going to bother to do.  This BFBB program is, as the OP put it, a joke.

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
jabennett
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: bell

Hello,

If you feel like we over looked something or reviewed the wrong app, send me a PM with the app name, and I will look into it.  Keep in mind this is a competition and not every app is going to get into Built for BlackBerry.

thanks,

Jason

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jabennett wrote:
If you feel like we over looked something or reviewed the wrong app, send me a PM with the app name, and I will look into it.  Keep in mind this is a competition and not every app is going to get into Built for BlackBerry.

Competition?

I don't recall hearing this ever mentioned before, nor seeing it in the criteria. Aside from some note that if there are too many of a particular kind of app in the program it will be rejected -- and I think that's already a blanket clause for all BlackBerry World submissions, even if it's not enforced -- I don't have any idea where this has been noted.

(Also, none of the apps mentioned so far are, as far as I recall, very similar to any that are already approved, or each other. I might have missed one or two, but this certainly doesn't appear to have been the reason for rejections so far.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

[ Edited ]

helex wrote:

Spending additional hours to improve a App are not a waste of time if it leads to more functinality and improved user expirience and satisfaction. If he is able to make it more attractive to new user groups and a broader range of users he should have a good benefit in the long term.

I agree.

By the way, making noise is the only way to get improvements. It hurts nobody to tweet Alec Saunders, who is ultimately responsible for this program. I am sure, the last thing he wants is to see, are bitter developers as a result of this program. 

I am sure, some improvements can be easiely realised. Some ideas:

Possibility to submit a additional guide/spreadsheet to the reviewer where we ca explain, what we did and why and for whom. Better examples. More detailed Checklist. Possibility to contact the reviewer. A kind of "pre-review": Asking someone if this kind of app has a chance at all. And so on.

Please use plain text.