Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: This program is a joke

jabennett wrote:
Keep in mind this is a competition and not every app is going to get into Built for BlackBerry

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "competition".

Clearly, and this was always clear to everyone, one has to achieve a certain level of qualify and capability to be approved. That much was never really in question (only the degree of each that was required).

By using "competition" above, did you mean to imply that we're competing against each other in some way? Like for a limited number of slots?  I think that's the usual definition: "Strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same." (from Google)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

, for what my 2¢ is worth (not much), good luck with this.

And it is good that many developers are watching this thread for the outcome.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Watch the BBJam webcast: Was it sold to us as a competition? There was a checklist presented. And we were told, that as long as the points at the checklist are fulfilled, the app will pass.

The first time i heard its a competition was when got the rejection email: "The application who exhibit the best qualities in our criteria list are the ones who will be successful"

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

georg22, even that phrase doesn't actually imply a competition, at least per the definition I posted where it's app-against-app.

The original definition of the program was that only high quality apps would be approved. That means those which "exhibit the best qualities", not "the best of those apps which exhibit the qualities".

There's a very key difference, and actually doing the competitive form of that would be a nightmare... Can you imagine them saying "Well, The Dive Plan already has the best version of Share invocation, so we can't accept this other app which has a lesser form of Sharing."?

If we're talking "competing against ourselves" to improve the apps, then yes, it's a competition. If we're talking "not accepting any number of apps that are very similar", then yes, it's a bit of a race competition. But aside from that, I don't feel competing has ever been implied before now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
georg22

@peter9477, thats how i understood the phrase, but i was not sure. And i agree with you 100%

Please use plain text.
Retired
jabennett
My Device: 9900

Please don't over analyze what I said, perhaps "competition" was a poor choice of words.  No there is not a limited number of spots, as the Built for BlackBerry program is on going.

Jason

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

jabennett wrote:

Please don't over analyze what I said, perhaps "competition" was a poor choice of words.  No there is not a limited number of spots, as the Built for BlackBerry program is on going.

Thanks Jason, but to be honest, this shouldn't be needed:

"If you feel like we over looked something or reviewed the wrong app, send me a PM with the app name, and I will look into it."

The developers are analyzing every word because they are after a rejection ravenous and searching for informations which could answer their questions. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

jabennett wrote:

If you feel like we over looked something or reviewed the wrong app, send me a PM with the app name, and I will look into it.

Based on the seemingly random feedback being given to everyone it is not clear if the you have ever reviewed the proper app.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
georg22

I was just told from my source, that only the best app(s) in each category will be selected. They compare the diffferent apps and select the best. I can be wrong, but i think the term "competition" discribes this nice and clear. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

Ah, my last app got rejected as well.

"Please add more feature to enhanced productivity since right now it's too simple for BFB however it's only have single function"

Is that even English?

Also, this one is an entertainment app (Screamager) so there's no such thing as 'productivity'.

Not gonna fight them on this one but seriously, this reaction is another example of how unprofessional this whole thing is.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.