Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

This program is still a joke

[ Edited ]

This program is poorly thought out and the patchwork solutions being put in place to make it work sorely missing the point.

As someone who wrote an application that ticks every box on the B4BB checklist and believed Alec when he stood a few meters in front of me and offered to guarantee my time spent writing for the BB10 platform would not be a waste of time I now feel that it has been well and truly wasted.

Apparently Alec's current solution is to allow 'Single application' apps to be re-reviewed.

For those off us who got rejection letters stating 'please add more features' apparently we have added too many or just not enough.

And because of that will now be ignored.

WHAT A COMPLETE JOKE!!!

Furthermore even though 'Add more features' is not in ANY WAY part of any criteria checklist for B4BB this is apparently a reason for rejection.

AGAIN COMPLETELY SICKENING!!!

And with Alecs commitment not to tell us what features to add (nice one) we are to continue to stumble around in the dark guessing what a reviewer would need to satisfy A NON-EXISTANT criteria.

With no help to signal out native apps that are not in B4BB and therefore no  sales through being lost in the mire that is the rest of the market.

BLACKBERRY ARE FAILING THEIR COMMITMENT TO THOSE WHO WANTED TO HELP THEM DO WELL!!!

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jetstreamblue
My Device: Z10 LE #00055
My Carrier: Telus

Re: This program is still a joke

I would reserve judgement based on how they handle the new appeals process.

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Really you still are prepared to wait for another 'personality' biased review process this how they got in to trouble in the first place.

The promise made at the conferences was write a native app, satisfy some criteria and you will get a $10k guarantee from us and entry into a special program to help market your apps.

Seven months on I have written an app that has fulfilled that published criteria, please show me where the checklist has 'add more features'?

The only fair way to do this is as was sold to us at the start is a checklist that either fails or accepts you in to B4BB.

Something tangible that you can base decisions on how to develop your app on.

A review board was never mentioned and how long are we to wait for this to get set-up and then how long will the review take.

I'm betting it will not be quick.

Am I the only one here relying on making money from this to eat?

Is this a hobby for the rest of you while you spend your trustfunds?

You wait, I can't afford to.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

BTW,

I developed and waited while they changed BB10 forcing rewrites.

I developed and waited while they changed the documentation with frequently broken prose and examples.

I developed and waited while coding around BB10 bugs.

I developed and waited while they announced BB10 launch would be delayed.

I developed and waited while they linked the $10k guarantee to B4BB.

I developed and waited while emails and calls to BlackBerry UK went unanswered.

I developed and waited while thousands of crappy port-a-thon apps got fast BB World approval.

I developed and waited while they failed to approve my 'UK biased' app in time for the UK launch despite hitting their deadlines.

I developed and waited while they said they were working on solutions to B4BB.

I am STILL developing and waiting in some vain attempt to satisfy some unreachable reviewer to pass a criteria not written, documented or ever discussed!

Only a fool expects to do keep doing the exact same thing and get a different result.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

I wholeheartedly disagree. The fixes promised by Alec in the developer blog sound very promising to me, and i believe in the effort of the team they put together. I met several of them, and they are all very motivated. They made some wrong descisions in the past AND underestimated the amount of applications coming in, and maybe even got mixed up in the surprisingly high number of portathon submissions that had to get a review. But: If you fail, fail better. They listened to our feedback, Alec personally created a forums account to reply to our feedback, and let's face it, some of it was quite rage-driven and not very constructive. There will be applications that fail the BFBB in the future, and there will be developers that are enraged by this and feel treated unfairly, but i think if you get detailed feedback AND have the possibility to get this cleared on a higher level most developers will be satisfied. My main issue was the nondescript text-macro mail i got back, which was not helpful at all. I hope the new guidelines will work as described, and i think it is great to have BlackBerry as a company that listens to the feedback given, actually talks with its developers and implements suggestions that were made. BBSJdev, if you re-read your post you will see that most of the things are those of the past. You were treated badly, let's hope things improve now.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

I think that was my point all we keep getting is promises that the future will be an improvement.

But let's truly analyze what Alec's blog message actually means...

They will re-analyse ALL 'single function' rejected apps, I think we can agree that still the majority will not be the dive planners, sophisticated calculators but will be single function apps unsuitable for whatever the program stands for at that point.

In the meantime I am left waiting for a review board to be set up and then sitting in another queue to get reviewed.

Which path do you think will get the most resource and which do you think will be the quickest path to some sensible feedback?

As I said there are always people who are willing to keep holding on and on relying on some vague promise of future improvement.

My premise is that the B4BB program is fundamentally broken and now biased towards approving single function apps quickly.

I don't think I can make it any simpler than the promise was 'write a native app, pass our criteria (now published as a check list) get $10k guarantee and B4BB approval'.

Instead of honouring this BlackBerry are adding more and more obfuscation and another level of bureaucracy.

If you are prepared to keep waiting that's a valid choice but please don't expect others to continue to share the view that eventually it will all work out by leaving it to the people who created in the first place.

Without honest feedback from us over our concerns BlackBerry will be working in a vacuum and continue to p off developers.

And if you can't tell I am p'd off.

For me I've reached the end of what's acceptable from a company.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

All I need is for someone to write to me and say what 'new features' my program needs to pass.

The last thing I need is another review board and a 'promise' from Alec not to specify what features are needed.

Most software developers study logic at University so most here should be able to see how illogical this is.

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

BBSJdev, I uderstand you. At least we have here some progress. As they wrote they will not design the Apps for us. And this is reasonable. So we need to think ourselves about those needed features.

You may do it yourself or simply post and describe over here your App and you will get feedback from other developers. No gurantee to get accepted with those "new features", but nobody has those gurantees. Lets stay together and help each other. This is what helps in the long therm. Good Apps will get downloaded. With or without BFB certificate. So try to make it as good as you're able to. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

Again, respectfully I disagree, how can a good app get downloaded when it shows up as item 40 in a long list of password generators and android ports?

Reviews by peers are good I agree but won't help in this case all I will get is a long list of well you can add this feature or this or this, how about this.  But it's still a guess about which one the reviewer thought he needed to see

You can read and see screenshots of my app on my website and please feel free to make comments, currently I am adding invocation to my app to send details as this seems the most likely feature a reviewer might consider is needed.

I can only keep re-iterating the same point though none of this should be necessary.  The promise was;

Native App

Pass Criteria (my app ticks every checkbox)

Not a fart app or similer (mine is definately not this, proven by not getting a 'single function' rejection letter)

Accepted for $10k and B4BB

So I'm left wondering why is it so difficult to keep the promise that led to me dedicating 7 months of my life to.

But now what has been added is a subjective review by a non-contactable reviewer with a non-specified criteria of feature count level.

All you 'Single function' rejected guys surely must be worried that this will be the next rejection you get.

Wouldn't you rather it was sorted out now rather than when it actually becomes a problem for you?

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Ok in an attempt to simplify.

I'm not asking for BlackBerry to design my app.

In my country we have to have our car tested each year for road worthiness, its called a MOT. Without this you cannot drive your car on the road.

If I went to the garage and the mechanic told me yes your car has failed but I can't tell you what you need to fix in order to pass I would go to another mechanic.  I'm not asking him to design the car am I just give me the information I need to get it back on the road.

The complacency on this forum towards BlackBerry to fix the solution at some point is amazing.

It's nice that BlackBerry get involved but for those that have programmed for Android the difference is that they have excellent documentation, the source code is open source and any programs are clearly understandable so don't need to.

I'm sure Alec would much rather be concentrating on making BB10 a success to end users than trying to sort out this debacle.

If I'd been told 7 months ago that feature count and a subjective review were necessary I would have had second thoughts about how achievable these were and whether my time was better spent elsewhere.

I appreciate the attempts to placate me but at this point the only person who will be able to do that is Alec.

I have fired off several emails including one to Alec with my views on this.

Please use plain text.