Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

What is getting approved

We have a long thread of what is *NOT* getting approved.  Let's start a thread to see what *IS* getting approved.  If you have an app that got approved, please provide:

• App name
  • Toolkits used
  • How you addressed productivity, communication and entertainment in one app
  • Services used (GPS, BBM, In-App purchases, etc.)
  • If game, engine used
  • Number of attempts for approval
  • Lessons learned for others

Many are trying to figure out what needs to change to get an app approved.  The BFB guidelines had good examples that should have been the nominal level to reach; but those do not seem to be acceptable to the reviewers.  So what does?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

Re: What is getting approved

So, now when I saw another apps were also approved for BFB program I can reveal mine :smileyhappy:

• Filter Box
  • Cascades 
  • Difficult question, as not all apps are designed for productivity. Communication is done using invocation framework, entertainment - is very subjective matter (example, someone can like Instagram, while the others hate it)
  • BBM, NFC, Bluetooth (to share photos)
  • -
  • Aproved from the first time, waited about one month

Make sure to read the post by Alec Saunders here and the long message in this thread by helex. 

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Here's my info...

• WordsPlus
  • Cascades (C++, QML, Qt)
  • It's a game so it doesn't require all of those except entertainment value but personally I think I did a good job integrating the BB10 UI which a lot of games currently in BlackBerry World don't do.
  • BBM (invite, profileBox and status msg) and Scoreloop (leaderboard, buddylist and acheivements)
  • No game engine used
  • Approved on first attempt
  • -

Thanks for all of the support from the forum devs.

Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Aplha
My Carrier: -

Nide to know that, there are apps approved with BFB. :-)

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Well, I have 3 of my 5 apps approved.  The last 2 are being re-reviewed after their initial rejection.

• Tipster, Papillon Converter, and Papillon Currency Converter
  • AIR
  • They are all productivity apps
  • BBM
  • 2 attempts each (one when back and forth about the location of a context action that was resolved)
  • Lessons learned:  Try to be objective about the quality and usefulness of your app.  Is it a meaningful app that would be used regularly by a "BlackBerry Person"?  It can be hard after weeks of development to think you have something unique, but if it does not address the flow, connections and content of a "BlackBerry Person", then it might not get approved.  A lot of it is about the details.  I got called on that a little, which I agreed and corrected.

If you have an app, that you want to get BFB certified, and you are not totally certain it will pass, post a request for people to review it and ask for feed back.  There are plenty of people on the forums that can be constructive in making your app better.  In the end, the more quality apps BB10 has, we all win, because that will attrack more consumers.