Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Built For BlackBerry

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Sprint

keys for OS 7.x and OS 10

We created an app last year with keys that were issued only for BlackBerry OS 7.x and lower.  Then we uploaded the app to the store.

Since then, we updated the app for BlackBerry OS 10, requesting new keys.  We then received keys (which we've registered) for both OS 10 and OS 7.x and lower.

Now that we'll be uploading the OS 10 app with the new keys, we'll also update the OS 7.x and lower app.  When we do update the OS 7.x and lower app, should we use the new keys for signing it, or the old keys?

If we use the new keys, will we need to effectively kill the original app and re-submit the app for approval from scratch? What if users already downloaded/installed the original OS 7.x app? 

Also, when submitting an app that you want to work on both OS 10 and OS 7.x and prior, are you supposed to submit the .bar file for the OS 10 and the .cod file for OS 7.x and prior?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: keys for OS 7.x and OS 10

There are two different types of keys used to sign bar files and cod files.  So you can't use the same keys for both.

BlackBerry PlayBook OS and BlackBerry 10 make use of .bar files.  BlackBerry OS 7.x and lower use .cod files for their application format.

There are different keys to install both types.  You can upload both releases under the same product in BlackBerry World so that users could purchase on BlackBerry OS 7.x and then upgrade to BlackBerry 10 when they have a new device.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Sprint

Thank you for your reply.

However, I am still unclear as to the answer to the question:

"Now that we'll be uploading the OS 10 app with the new keys, we'll also update the OS 7.x and lower app.  When we do update the OS 7.x and lower app, should we use the new keys for signing it, or the old keys?"

Any idea?

My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

It doesn't matter if the same code signing keys as previous versions of the applications are used for BlackBerry OS 7.x and lower applications.

It does matter for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 applications.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

For 7.x (and lower) apps use what every keys you would like.

Matching the keys only matters for PlayBook and up.

This is one of my apps that continues to get updated for OS 5.0 with the same old keys despite also being avaliable for BlackBerry 10.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com