Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Community Feedback and Ideas

Contributor
Renovatio
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Forum Rankings and Custom Avatars

Thank you very much for making that clear! So I need to spend more time in the future here? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Yes, please spend more time here posting.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

More detailed ranking information

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested as I'm about to present it, but my cursory scan of this board didn't yield any similar results. Anyway, my suggestion is a more detailed breakdown of the ranking system, or at the very least a detailed description of how the algorithm for determining forum and/or developer rank functions. For example, I know that posting in the Development section of the forum, or on the Developer's Blog, gives the user points toward the developer recognition program. The user's personal profile page should display the number of points thus far accumulated, and preferably how many points are required to reach the next ranking. The benefits of each forum rank (ie. unlocks such as the custom avatar setting, kudos weighting, etc) should also be presented somewhere.

In summary, knowledge is power. I think many of this forum's users would be very pleased to have this information available to them in one form or another, but the more descriptive, the better.

Food for thought,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

EDIT:

I found the following link:

Developer Recognition Program

It explains the new features for developers. Does this functionality overwrite the standard forum functionality? In other words, if we have a certain forum status (ie. Regular Contributor), is that still maintained regardless of developer level?

I was actually looking for a link like this that describes regular ranking, not Developer, anyone know of one?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Raelic wrote:

I was actually looking for a link like this that describes regular ranking, not Developer, anyone know of one?

Keep posting to find out the new ranks. :smileywink:

should change after 1000 posts.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic

Hahaha somehow I doubt I will Be sitting beside JSanders or sdgardne at the Guru level overnight, thats why I was curious. But as it turns out.. It clearly isnt set in stone as I didnt hit Forums Advisor 1 untill after 600 posts and there are people with that rank with just over 500.

Maybe the fact that my account is only 2 months old has something to do with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!

Please use plain text.
Developer
BB-Dude
My Device: 9900

Re: More detailed ranking information

Here is what I know:

Level 1:

Need to be registered at least 1 month and have an X number of posts on the forum.

Unlocks custom avatar setting only for approved icons.

Level 2:

Requires 500 Posts

Level 3:

Kudos weight 6 unlocked

Level 4:

Kudos weight 7 unlocked

I think if we all post what we know we would a better picture of how the ranking works.

Please add the details that you know.

Also lets hope RIM does not change any of the above :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic

BB-Dude wrote:

Level 2:

Requires 500 Posts

OP is Level 1 and has almost 600 posts.

Now one thing that I have noticed (not in developer but normal ranking) is time seems to be a factor. I usually have more posts than the rank above me before I actually increase in rank. I dont think Kudos affect it much, or even authored solutions. But I believe time online/ time since registered has an impact as I havent been active 3 months yet.

So that explains my rank-increase delays.

anyways, I am just speculating

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Rank is based on count, the servers take their sweet um time to update you.

Try loggin off next time and loggin on.

Please use plain text.
Retired
KerriB
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi everyone,

We’ve noticed that this thread is gaining in interest and thought we should drop in to the discussion as well.

You’re right – we don’t publicly reveal our ranking structure. And those who pointed out that the rankings are based on an algorithm which factors in a variety of different elements, are definitely on the right track.

That said, there is a rationale for why we don't reveal the ranking system. We want the Community to be healthy, happy and authentic. We want to encourage participation and engagement from all members and one way we do this is through the rankings system. As a result, we want to be sure the rankings aren’t abused in any way and that posts are of good quality and not just about quantity.

We think it adds a great dynamic to the Forums, as members can see how established and active other members are by having a look at their ranking – we also think it adds a bit of fun too! By not knowing how far members are from gaining a new rank, it keeps everyone guessing – both the user and the other members of the Forums :smileyhappy:

If you have any more questions or feedback on the topic, we’d love to hear from you.

Cheers,

^KB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.