Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Community Feedback and Ideas

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Kudos

playbook_fan wrote:

FYI, if you see on the chart, the ones with more kudos received are all friends, the give and receive kudos to each other to keep on the top of the chart, lol, no wonder why they stay on the top, lol like if it is a competition.

Actually that's not exactly true. Those you see on the Kudos list as having receving many, are those who are helping and answering questions for others... if you don't see your name up there...

Personally I don't see anyone begging for kudos. I have it posted as part of signature. If no chooses to kudo a helpful post, no big deal. Many people also choose not to mark the "accepted solution" on a post, or either refuse to do so, and that too hinders the community in finding posts which are actually helpful and have succeeded in resolving an issue.

If you go through life with a frown on your face and refuse to say thank you to people, I won't expect you to act any different here, anonymously in this forum. But, you are given the choice either say say "thanks" or click a kudo.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

freeyo wrote:

I myself just figure if that is what they want to do then so be it.  I for one just want to help someone if I can.  No praise needed.  If it helped great.  For me, if it helped and solved your question, then mark it solved.  Just my rambling.

Well everyone needs motivation in what they do. Apart from developers, most contributors that have posted more than 200 messages here all have the same motivation : help other people on their free time.

That being said, at one point you start doing that on a regular basis, let's say when you reach your first thousand, and at some point you start a friendly competition with other regular contributors. But since it's not a race, there is no clear measure of "who's best". There comes the "collector attitude", based on three indicators:

1. raw number of messages posted (some people here have posted more than 20000 times, mostly to help solve inquiries)
  2. number of answered questions
  3. number of kudos

That being said,

• For the first category, nobody will ever put a signature saying "hey ! please break your OS so so I can help you"
  • for the second category, to this day, you can have one message marked as solution for each discussion
  • for the third category, the kudos can be multiplied : one per message and per contributor reading the discussion.

so how can people influence those three numbers for me? Obviously the kudos are the winning point. It's like a kid collecting stickers in a Kellogg's box, that is what kudos are about. And that is precisely what the leader board is about. who's got the biggest!

so I don't think regular contributors really have the time to click on their friends' kudos, it's rather than regular contributors get read a lot by other regular contributors, and the stat just make them kudo each other proportionally as much as anyone else, but numerically more.

That being said, my personal opinion is that the number of "answers marked as solution" are a far better indicator of the awesomeness of a contributor. Unfortunately:

• for a given discussion, only the original poster can mark a post as solution (and as you know, many people come here for a solution and will not spend one second giving indication whether their issue is solved)
  • currently, nobody apart from me can know how many posts of mine have been marked as solutions.

For those negative reasons, the kudo system is preferred by many contributors. Usually through their automatic signature.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530 and Playbook OS 1.0.3
My Carrier: Sprint

I, personally don't care if people give kudos or not to my posts, which are not many. But i honestly see some of the members who have been in the forums for long time, pretend to look like they don't want kudos but in reality they do.

It is not wrong to want or ask for kudos, but try not to look like they own the forums, seems like they spend a lot of time in them, i wonder if RIM pays them for that? I am not going to say names, but some of them posted on this thread.

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

artie_belafonte wrote:

It is not wrong to want or ask for kudos, but try not to look like they own the forums, seems like they spend a lot of time in them, i wonder if RIM pays them for that? I am not going to say names, but some of them posted on this thread.

I'll say names. In this thread, myself, Xandrex and Knotty would be three to which you refer.

I think all of us appreciate kudos, and have never stated otherwise. We don't beg... believe me I've gotten enough over time that you can go kudo every one else in the forum who makes a useful and help post, and skip me ten times, and I won't notice.

Do I appreciate one? Oh heck yea, just a "thank you" is appreciated when I hold the door at the Post Office for a lady. Do I hold the door just to get the "thank you"? No, but being ingracious is the other persons problem, not mine. I do it anyway, not expecting a return.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code