Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Connectivity

New Contributor
JBowerman01
My Device: non-Blackberry user

BES Server - BIS data plan - can't activate email, but internet and voice working fine

[ Edited ]

Hello, I currently have a BES Server hosted in a data centre, with a number of BES data plans.

We're in the process of switching over to the BIS data plan.

A number of our users, as a trial, have been converted to BIS to ensure there are no problems before we migrate everyone. I understand that I can manage the handsets wirelessly with BIS as long as I install the Enterprise Activation App. I've installed this app on one of the phones that has migrated and, whilst the user has internet and voice connectivity, the email side of it is not working. The user has input the Activation Password and the handset displays the message that it's contacting the server but then says 'server cannot be contacted'.

Can anyone advise what the problem may be? Could it be server level? We're using the BES software, not BES Express. Do I need to ensure the BES software and/or handset software is at the latest version for the wireless activation side of things to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Janet 

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10

Re: BES Server - BIS data plan - can't activate email, but internet and voice working fine

Your handsets need to have a BES data plan to work with the full BES server. 

You can use a BIS plan when you are using a BES Express server. 

New Contributor
JBowerman01

Re: BES Server - BIS data plan - can't activate email, but internet and voice working fine

Thank you! I've been researching all afternoon and was coming towards that conclusion, but thank's for confirming, much appreciated!! Janet

New Contributor
JBowerman01

Hello, just following on from this, we've decided to register the users as BIS accounts on the O2 portal https://bis.eu.blackberry.com/html?brand=o2mailuk rather than install BES Express and set everyone up again and get them to install the Enterprise Activation app etc.

Do you know if I would just put in the user currently login details, that they use for BES or do they have to be set up as brand new users? If I put in their existing details, what will happen to everything that was stored on the BES Server previously, i.e. contacts, mail, etc?

Thanks very much for your help, in advance.

Janet

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

BIS is nothing to do with BES.

If your users can access their email from Outlook Web Access from home, then they would go into the email setup option on their phones and enter the log in details they use for OWA - this will then setup the email on their phone. 

They will only receive emails from their inbox, sub folders will not be available and calendar and contacts will not sync over the air. 

New Contributor
JBowerman01

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply.

I understand. If they do have OWA, would they still need to register on the O2 portal that I posted the link to in my earlier post? If not, what's the point of that portal?

Thanks, Janet

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

That portal sets up the Blackberry Servers to check and push their email to their blackberrys

New Contributor
JBowerman01

Thank you for replying so quickly. So does that mean they would still need to register on there or not?

I think the answer is yes as once a user has gone live on the BIS data plan, they're no longer managed by the BES Server that was doing the job of checking and pushing the emails to their blackberrys when they were on BES data plan, is that right?

Apologies for all the questions, this is my first BES to BIS migration.

Thanks,  Janet

Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

That is correct, it is worth noting that you will no longer have the control over the phones that BES provides such as enforcing security policies. It will also provide less functionality to your users. 

As you are migrating them away from BES it would be worth having them wipe their phones and start from fresh to remove all traces of the BES setup. This would also allow them to start afresh sync'ing their contacts and calendars using Blackberry Desktop Manager on their PCs. 

New Contributor
JBowerman01

Thank you for your reply. Yes it's been noted that there will no control of policies anymore however the decision was taken that the cost different was worth it.. I wasn't aware that there will be less functionality for the users. Is there a matrix anywhere do you know that lists what they'll lose? I've found a comparision matrix between the type of software (BES/Bes Express, Hosted BES, etc) but not at a user level..

We want as minimal distruption for the users as possible during the migration, so it would be preferable if they didn't have to wipe their phones etc as most of them don't have BDM installed on their pcs, nor have admin rights to their pcs to install it, so it would be a headache going around installing it on them as they're all over the country.. Was it just from a housekeeping perspective that you suggested this or do you think they could run into problems if they don't wipe it and start afresh?

With regards to Enterprise Activation, is that something that has nothing to do with our scenario, i.e. we would never use it and it wouldn't work even if we tried, with our setup?

Thanks again for all your help, I've been trawling through websites trying to get some answers, it's nice to speak to someone who understands what I'm asking and knows that answer!

Thanks, Janet