If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for Mac

Administrator (Retired)
Beholder
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

BlackBerry Media Sync for MAC - FAQ

Hello Everyone,

Please feel free to post your tips and tricks and frequently asked questions!

BlackBerry Media Sync for MAC - Knowledge Base Articles:

Features of BlackBerry Media Sync for Mac computers

Installing, updating, and synchronizing media using BlackBerry Media Sync for Mac computers

BlackBerry Software detected     

Remove BlackBerry Media Sync for Mac computers

Want to learn how to use your BlackBerry® smartphone? Visit youtube.com/blackberry to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry smartphone!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers! 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
jsweir
My Device: 8830 worldphone

Re: BlackBerry Media Sync for MAC - FAQ

I have been having a problem with my 8830 worldphone #1 my pocket mac program says it has no connection about half way thru syncing,#2 i have tried to sync videos to my 8830 and it just stalls nothing happens,is there a software program i need to make the process work-i have tv shows on my mac i would like to watch on 8830 but they will not transfer, my music now syncs with the syncing program (had to activate itunes) but video in media is not seen also the 8830 does not see the 2 gig card I have installed, #3 how do i format the mini card to scrub it of info-sorry it is a lot i know but i am in the 'frustrated" category now- i love the phone but am stuck-thanks, john
Please use plain text.
mpm
New Contributor
mpm
My Device: Storm

There should be a prominent 'warning' that loading this program means that you will be prompted to uninstall Pocketmac and MissingSync.  I went to the trouble of downloading Media Sync only to discover I had to choose between media and my contacts and calendar.  Does anyone use a Blackberry PDA on a POP3 service without syncing their BB and Mac for addresses and calendar?  What's the point?  Is there some work-around I am missing?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

mpm wrote:
[...] Does anyone use a Blackberry PDA on a POP3 service without syncing their BB and Mac for addresses and calendar?  What's the point?  Is there some work-around I am missing?

No, you are not missing a work-around, and you are certainly not alone. I don't know why RIM/BlackBerry does not make it more clear in these announcements that the Media Sync app is a "preview release" (aka Beta version) which will break every Mac-based sync'ing tool in its path. I think it's sad, to be honest; sad that they show so little attention to this platform given its growing popularity (particularly among its core design/media industries). I cannot answer why this is and I wish I could.

I do know that, as of March, RIM will be launching a user-generated app store, similar to what iPhone users have been able to enjoy for the last year. I can only assume RIM/BlackBerry is waiting to offload the responsibility of developing an effective sync-app (for both media and contacts/calendars) to 3rd parties - otherwise there is no way to explain their near total lack of communication on this subject.

Please use plain text.
mpm
New Contributor
mpm
My Device: Storm

this was more than a lack of attention. its a lack of respect. spent time on getting Pocketmac to work on the Storm (after retiring my BB 8830), with some non-intuitive settings to 'fix' the sync issues, only to have the settings blown away with a major Storm software update; back to square one, and still didn't support pics and music. then spent time and $$ for MissingSync, which did update media as well as contacts initially, then first duplicated contacts on my Storm, and finally 'hid' them (I couldn't see in any contact view, but could 'search' and find some of them - very strange).

The good news: I have finally found a solution which syncs perfectly with contacts, calendar, email, photos and music.  i bought an iPhone.  anybody looking for a Storm cheap, pre-eBay listing? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lonzom10
My Device: Storm 9500

This is actually quiet sad... I'm having the same issue with my Storm.  Poor... Poor move on BB's part.  I've tried PocketMac whiched worked great except for the fact that I want my music, my pics and my video.  What makes PocketMac even worse is that there are tabs for iTunes, iPhoto & Video on the program but they are rendered inactive for my Storm.... this makes no sense!  anyone know what this is?  Dont get me wrong, I'm loving my phone but this lack of effort and foresite on BB's part is really aggrivating.  I'm using the 14 day trial version of Missing Sync right now and it worked well with my initial sync last night... my only complaints are the fact that it took 20 minutes to sync 10 songs and the biggest of them all is that I will have to pay $40 for a program that should have been included with my phone.  Not cool BB... not cool!

Anyone have any suggestions other than switching to an iPhone?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
powerzamcam
My Device: Not Specified

hi, i cannot get pocketmac to locate the storm. it worked fine before trying media sync (cal, tasks, mp3, pics, etc. all worked). so i'm back to square one.

i uninstalled media sync and have now reinstalled pocketmac along with the update. i was hesitant to download media sync, but wanted to give it a try to see what it will look like later...of course, i don't know what i was thinking. i must have been lucky to have a bberry sync'd mac.

any advice?

thanks.

- sal

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MarkB

[ Edited ]

We have a Blackberry 8900 Curve and a MacBook Air with which we want to synchronise contacts and i-Cal (plus pictures etc. which is not as important but seems logical that we should be able to sync everything).

Having downloaded the PocketSync for Mac and it's upgrade from the BB website, connected the phone by USB and pressed sync, it appears to be syncing, with an activity bar that finally finishes, only to open an error message (error 4): skipping.

I see there is a drop down menu that contains an option to "Add device" but this is greyed out so not functional.

We've spent hours (literally, 6 or more) contacting Vodafone, researching the web and trying various options, all in vain.

Can anyone give us a solutiuon please? (And - major gripe - why doesn't BB know about these problems and do something to solve them - I mean - how many platforms are there?, only PC and Mac. Surely it's not impossible to make BB's work with i-Sync).

Talk of i-Phones is just even more agravating as we are tied to Vodafone both contractually and because we can only get a Vodafone signal in our house! This means, because Apple did an exclusive (and in my mind, immoral) deal with O2, we cannot have an i-Phone so we bought the Blackberry. It should be better than the i-Phone anyway as it has push e-mail not auto pull, but this is useless if we can't sync i-Cal and AddressBook etc.

Message Edited by MarkB on 03-09-2009 09:56 AM
Message Edited by MarkB on 03-09-2009 09:56 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chadleycb

I am a new BB user; test-driving for 30 days on Verizon Wireless. 

PocketMac has too many bugs

Reconcile Now (IMAP) for Gmail is unreliable

Here's my point: I wanted the curve to work for me, before switching to AT&T for the iPhone.  But RIM simply does NOT have the software friendliness for Macintosh users.

I prefer the CDMA service on Verizon, and I highly respect RIM for delivering exceptional products.  If/when they are ready to get serious about Mac users, I will return.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MarkB

I finally managed to get hold of a tech support guy at RIM and to be fair, he was excellent. He talked through the problem with me and basically fixed it - I now feel like an expert!

I will be happy to post the advice he gave me on here if anyone wants me to, though right now I'm rushing a little - tomorrow.

Please use plain text.