Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for Mac

Contributor
MarkB
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Media Sync for MAC - FAQ

I am very sorry that, as I'm not an expert, I can only pass on the information I was able to glean from Technical Support in relation the specific problem I had.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BigRich

Hi Mark, 

I appreciate your efforts. But it came to naught, even after following your instructions to the letter. One thing, however, in the connection tab, there is no option for a user name or password--just a check box in case your Blackberry requires a password, which mine does not. There is only a USB or Serial Port checkbox, that's it. 

Here is what else I tried: removing the Media Sync software, removing the memory card, turning off the media sync software in the Options tab. None worked. I essentially destroyed my Blackberry's ability to sync, essential to my business, to have a media card and iTunes song.

Time to consider an iPhone?

R  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MarkB

Ah! yes  - the i-phone option. That certainly would have been a preferred choice as we're totally Mac here and it would be so seemless. Sadly though, Apple did what I consider to be a very dodgy exclusivity deal with O2. A problem when, if you live in the Boonies (well, rural East Sussex) and you can't get any signal other than Vodaphone in the house!

I simply don't understand why BB cannot sort out a piece of software like I have on my N95 Nokia which allows easy, wireless syncing with my Mac through i-Sync (or any other computer). What is the matter with them, it's like selling shoes without laces and telling the customer they have to buy them somewhere else, but you're not sure where. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BigRich

Here is the deal, everyone. 

I was able to remain a BB user, thank you very much! Actually thanks to the local Rogers store, which convinced me that the solution lay in Missing Sync, the alternative to Pocket Mac. Even after completely wiping my Curve 8900, the Media Sync software had so corrupted the device, it will would not sync!!!! What a scandal! However, Missing Sync, while requiring much more elaborate installation, and some patience, not only syncs beautifully with iCal and Mac Contacts, it also works just fine with iTunes, which is really amazing. It won't download some types of iTunes files but it does the job adequately--not as good as the Blackberry media sync but that screwed up everything so that's that until they come up with a real version of the software. So thanks to all who tried to help--and big thanks to Rogers at Yonge and Eg, for many small favours.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mrtoyou7747

I've been using Missing Sync now for a few weeks with great results!

Worth the money although it shouldn't have to cost anything if Pocket MAC actually worked.

If you tried to get Pocket MAC to work you will have to clear/reset  the BB.  Once this is done you have to reinstall the service books and reinstall you personal settings.

All a  real PIA.  Where is that guy from the MAC commercial?  I'd like to have him comment on how easy MACs are to use!!

Good luck

Please use plain text.
Visitor
docfox

Well, I have an original iPhone which gets TERRIBLE reception (a very well-known problem).  My wife and I both have had surgeries and are living on low temporary disability pay.  Therefore, instead of forking out for a new iPhone, I bought a used BlackBerry off eBay for about $20 plus a few bucks shipping.

I followed MarkB's advice (top post, page 2 of this thead) and it worked just fine.  And the BlackBerry gets reception in my basement office whereas, with the iPhone, I had to drive about 1/2 mile away.  I hear the new iPhones are fine in the reception area.  But who can argue with 20 bucks?

Kinda cool.  My old BlackBerry did not come with a data card, so I will have to get one if I want photos and music from iTunes.

PocketMac, if instructions were followed, worked quite well for me.

Doc Jim 

Please use plain text.
nje3006

I have an iMac and a Curve 8900.  MarkB's solution worked for me perfectly.  I don't have the option to enter my computer user name and password on the connection tab but I think my problem was the BB was locked when I was trying to sync.  No message that that was the prob (would have helped) but unlocking it seemed to solve it.

I also had to download an iTunes update, restart, do one way synch then a 2 way synch and it worked... 

Please use plain text.
Marcom

Can I first say thanks to everyone who posted tidbits of advice. Quite Pathetic that this is the height of help that BB users can expect to get on Mac compatability.

I like evryone else had a slight problem synching my curve 8900 and Macbook Pro. Everyone's seems the same but slightly different and mine was simply beginning the sync then stalling either half way through or near the end. I'd get frustrated ater hour long waits and click cancel and be told an error had occurred etc etc. I tried reinstalling the software. I read MarkB's thing and checked iTunes. I even downloaded the new drivers. Same result every time, some contacts were loaded but only about a quarter of what I have saved in Address Book.

First thing's first. Seems you should be in mass storage mode.

Secondly, after I followed all the advice I did a hard reset and then reconnected with the USB and changed the sync options to overwrite the device and hey presto it worked. Also was only trying to sync contacts.

Keep trying a variety of options and hopefully something will click. The software works... so just keep trying. Also, owners of older models of BB should be considerably less optimistic about Pocketmac working.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MarkB

Glad you had success - yes, indeed, it was necessary to start afresh with the loading as, if it hasn't worked, for some reason it will continue not to work.

Whilst I did get some great help after persistenly trying to speak to a senior technical advisor, Blackberry's makers certainly do not make it easy - the pojt, surely, of software development, is to generally make people's loves easier!!!

Mac users are almost unanimous in appreciation of the possibilities and benefits of life simplifying software, and we're growing in numbers! Watch out Blackberry - we will desert you if you do not make life easy for us! The i-phone loses it's exclusivity deal with Vodafone next year in the UK and can do almost everything as well as a BB. No doubt people will find the easiest, most effective option, and hanging on a phone for elusive technical support is not my idea of fun, or efficient use of time.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

FYI - it looks like RIM is going to roll-out a Mac version of the Desktop Manager (link). Fingers crossed, ladies and gentlemen.
Please use plain text.