03-02-2012 12:09 PM
So, 2 1/4 hours later ...
Removed old version of BB Desktop Manager
Installed v 2.3.0 Build 12 (no I know what it was like at the Robben Island rock face)
Ran a sync - only future events / Fast Sync.
Resent all the log files, backups, etc.
Can't wait for my next "interaction." Calling them now.
Dennis is awfully cheery. At least he doesn't ask me for my case # (shame b/c it's gotten to the point that it's stuck in my head like my phone number). He's got everything and is going to review all of this and call me back.
03-02-2012 01:22 PM
Hey, Franklin emailing. So, chipper.
1) Do I sync the Blackberry with any other computer?
2) Do I still use Missing Sync?
1) No. Never.
2) No. Not in years.
03-02-2012 05:27 PM
Email from Daniel at RIM.
RIM says I need to clear out SyncServices on my Mac and remove and references to Missing Sync.
I find this response completely worthless
1) If there was something "lurking" within SyncServices all this time related to Missing Sync (which hasn't been on my computer in years), why would this issue suddenly rear it's ugly head with the installation of BB Desktop Software v. 2.3, wouldn't it have caused problems with all the previous versions?
2) If this scary lurking thing somehow was corrupting v. 2.3, why would be reversion back to an earlier version still result in the continued failure of the calendar sync? Wouldn't v. 2.2 or 2.1 or any of the other versions that "played nice" with this evil lurking thing in Sync Services work and fully sync all the calendar entries?
3) Presumably this scary lurking thing was in the SyncServices file I submitted to them last night, Thursday, 1 March (v. the one I submitted today, Friday, 2 March), so why wouldn't that have been an issue they should have raised last night when they reviewed the first SyncServices Log.
In a follow up phone call with Dan (not Daniel) at RIM, Dan tacitly admitted that last night's tech didn't do their job because Dan said Daniel was right when he (Daniel) blamed SyncServices.
I honestly suspect that neither Dan nor last night's tech did their job. It seems to me that they're just looking to blame something else and pass the customer off so they don't have to address the problem. Keep blaming something else or asking the user to try things until the user gives up. Last night - try this and that (e.g. only future events was last nights solution), today - must have 2.3 installed (this am's solution), this afternoon - it's sync services problem.
Reading about reseting and clearing out sync services makes this sound like a bit of a scary process that is not taken lightly. Indeed, during my phone call with Dan, he recommended taking my computer to an Apple Store to have this done. That's exactly what I mean, pass the cusomter off, maybe they will not come back.
Early on, when this issue arose, I printed out a big paper version of my iCal calendar and just carried it with me and jotted things in it (and, as an aside, my and my wife's iPads sync'ed perfectly with iCal). I figured I could live with that for the next two months (though having the alarm/reminders pop up was helpful on the Blackberry). But, you know, now I'm going to see this through. I really don't feel like giving RIM the satisfaction of passing me off. I'll go along with it and keep them working on it. Might even do so after I've switched to a Droid or an iPhone because I'm guessing this is going to go one for a long time (next proposed solution from RIM, 'try sync'ing while your hopping on one foot' then 'try syncing only when the moon is full' then 'try buying a new Blackberry').
03-05-2012 03:52 PM
Well, I'm a bit cowed.
The clearing of sync services (and co-commitant removal of references from sync services of any reference to Missing Sync) seems to fix the problem.
As I thought, it was a bit "scary" removing/reseting sync services. It involved following some (Apple Web Site) steps with lots of "warnings" about this a pretty serious process. Nevertheless, I backed up everything, made extra copies of essential files, etc. and took the plunge.
The Apple web site is http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1627
As an initial observation the Apple instructions were not complete - for me, at least. First, I think the need to clear out some keychain items backfired on me a bit and I may have cleared out more than I should. But, so far, it's only involved entering a few "saved passwords" again. Not much of an issue. Second, even though you "reset" sync services, there were still buried files in the Sync Services folder after the reset. I deleted the files just to be sure (I think I saw an error message - [I don't have it right now (I'll try and post it later)] - that led me (after some Googling) to the solution to delte that file.
Anywho, that's the completion of the reset of Sync Services.
I still stand by my earlier comments, re: why wasn't this the initial advice and why other solutionswere "tried" before this apparent thing was found in Sync Services. Could have fixed this problem much sooner (if this indeed is the fix), had someone focused from the start.
Finally, I can't necessarily recommend this as a solution for everyone b/c I didn't have a large amount of sync between my Mac and iPad. Apparently, this process clears out a LOT of the sync settings, indeed it's clearing EVERYTHING, between the mac - USB connected to an iPad (and presumably iphone, touch, etc). But, for me there wasn't a lot to sync or re-establish after losing all the sync settings. So, if you have a LOT of devices sync'ing. It could be an issue. But that's up to you.
Wind and tumbleweeds blowing through my email from Blackberry Tech Support on the matter. They can wait. Let's see if they ever follow up.