Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for Mac

Contributor
bootyp
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
Accepted Solution

New BlackBerry Curve 8330 (Verizon) - Upgrade OS?

Hello, I use a Powerbook G4, and just purchased a BlackBerry Curve from Verizon.

The OS that is installed on my BB is v4.3.0.127 ... should I be upgrading right away to the latest OS (4.5 I think)? And if so, where/how do I obtain a copy of the updated OS, is it easy to upgrade to the latest version, and is there anything I need to know about doing an upgrade?

Thank you for the direction - I am new to the BB and can use any and all help/tips & tricks as possible. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: New BlackBerry Curve 8330 (Verizon) - Upgrade OS?

The below steps all have to be done from a PC. It's not possible to update the OS from a Mac.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a guide that walks through the process of updating the OS.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os

Also the article mentions 4.5 as the lastest Desktop Manager, but you can download the latest (4.6) from here

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

You can download the Verizon 4.5 OS from here

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bootyp
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

Thanks for the information!

What are the pros & cons of updating to the latest OS version? 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80

Only pros since the latest software has more features

HMTL reading was a big feature: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15254

Features are summed up nicely in this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2255033,00.asp

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Please use plain text.
dce1256
My Device: Not Specified

Can you upgrade directly on the device?  It's my first upgrade and I'm Mac.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lsmithssbn

I hope that you can help me too. Verizon Techs don't have the answer. I upgraded and it appears to be corrupt. How do I remove the 4.5 to try again?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80

dce1256 wrote:
Can you upgrade directly on the device?  It's my first upgrade and I'm Mac.

No, you can only update from a PC. Once you have 4.5 on a device you can use the wireless update feature introduced in the 4.5 OS

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80

lsmithssbn wrote:

I hope that you can help me too. Verizon Techs don't have the answer. I upgraded and it appears to be corrupt. How do I remove the 4.5 to try again?

Thanks

What do you mean by corrupt?

If you re-run through the application loader it will re-install the OS again

Please use plain text.
joeyhockey2305

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Wynnefield

I have a Macbook Pro and was told by Verizon Wireless Store representative my Curve 8330 worked with a Mac "out of the box", which I quickly found to be untrue. I am having a number of issues with PocketMac synchronization. Since I am on Blackberry OS 4.3.0.127, the Verizon folk suggested I upgrade to 4.5 and/or 4.7 to see if this would eliminate the problems.

From what I am reading on this thread, I will not be able to upgrade my BB via the Macbook Pro (or any other Mac), so it sounds like the Verizon Store folk are either uneducated about the Blackberry with a Macintosh, or they expect me to find a Windows system to upgrade. This makes no sense at all regarding the solution of my synchronization problems with the Macintosh if I cannot even upgrade with the same platform as they one with which I am experiencing the problems.

The Verizon folk on the Phone customer service told me the Storm works with a Mac "out of the box" and the previous versions of Blackberrys do not. Is there any truth to this.

Thank you in advance for your feedback. 

Please use plain text.