Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for Mac

New Contributor
bthompson48
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Sync w/ Desktop Manager deleted all events in iCal

I am having same problem synching with ical and Bold. I see the fix with the options but am not that technical. Can someone tell me please how to navigate to the first step to delete BB Desktop manager folder?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bflashnick
My Device: 8900

I'm not sure I know how to describe it any clearer than it is in the instructions... The only thing I can think to add is that the folder they describe as the <User> folder is also known as the Home folder, in OSX 10.5 and above (I think) it is the folder "places" column on the left of the finder window that has the little house icon next to it.  then find the folders listed in sequence...  If you need the be walked through I would suggest calling your carrier, and get the call escalated to RIM's technical support.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bthompson48
My Device: Bold

It worked! Thanks - I just needed a little direction and your input helped. I feel like a real person again with my calendar synched up. 

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Gutwein
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

I tried option 1 with no help. All of a sudden a few days ago (I assume coinciding with the mac desktop update, all my tasks on ical were wiped. They still appear on my blackberry but when I sync it does not restore them to ical. Also now the same thing happened with my memos (notes). Please help I need access to these on the mac badly.

-A

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MACplusBB-hmmm
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

I just joined after similar frustrations!  

I used (past tense!) the BB Desktop Manager on my MAC to do 2 things: backup my BB data, and sync my Mac's ical calendar with my BB calendar.  Thats all, but no more!

It was working fairly well recently (after two previous complete BB crashes that had me reloading the entire operating system and data on my BB when my computer screen switched to screensaver in the middle of a BB backup!... don't ask how ridiculous that was...).  

Anyway, yesteday my DM software said it had an upgrade, and so I upgraded... hoping it would be better... Don't do it!!!

First, the new DM only allows 'two-way sinc' from the ical to the BB (WHY????!?), and in fact it DOES NOT perform even this function at all.  Second, I lost pretty much all the data from my Mac's ical calendar, and it would not transfer it back from the BB to the Mac.  Third, the calendar on my BB was suddenly missing all sorts of appointments,

My solution:  

1) on my MAC, I found the file where all my ical items are stored, and I imported them to ical, then I spent an hour cleaning up, sorting back into work and personal calendars, etc...

2) I exported a backup of my ical calendar to a backup folder on my MAC (something I should have done a long time ago, as I only just started using TimeMachine) to make sure I didn't lose it again

3) I spent $20 and purchased 'pocketmac', and it allows one way sync either way, NOT like the restricted DM software from blackberry!!!  So i used it to completely overwrite my messed up BB calendar with my now-updated ical calendar from my MAC.  THE BEST $20 EVER SPENT ON MY BB!

4) I WILL NEVER USE DESKTOP MANAGER FOR MAC AGAIN.... I am plugging my blackberry into a different PC, and using desktop manager on a PC to create a backup file of my BB, that's it.

Hope this helps... I feel better for the rant...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
direwolff
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

Wish I'd seen MACplusBB-hmmm 's note sooner.  Same happened to me this morning and I end up here, duped like the rest of you, by RIM's incompetence :smileysad:

I tried "Option 1" per benzei's ecommendation and that didn't work.  I am only thankful that at least the info remains on my Curve correctly, though I feel totally exposed to certain doom if I'm to count on the RIM crack staff not to disolve the last thread I hold to my critical calendar data.  I can't try benzei's Option 2 because I no longer have the .dmg files that I originally used and RIM has updated all of their download sites w/this infernal buggy version of DM.  Trying to see if I can find some other site that RIM has not yet infected w/the latest version so that I can at least go back to the last known working version of the software.

Additional thoughts on how to this working are welcomed.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
wilsonph
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

I just got the upgrade . Wish I had checked comments before installing. You'd think RIM would test something like this. I have lost my calendar appointments on my  mac desktop and tried all the solutions posted and it still does not fix my calendar. I have a BBRY 9000. This is most frustrating as I share my calendar with others and they have lost all data as well. I wonder why people are moving to I-phones?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
direwolff
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

Good thing for the Mac's Time Machine, which I use to regularly back-up my machine.  Was able to go back in time (yesterday's back-up) and bring back the previous versions of the application and the data.  For those of you who use the Mac's Time Machine here are the two items that restored:

1) Applications --> "BlackBerry Desktop Manager"

2) Library --> Application Support --> "BlackBerryDesktop" (Folder)

Once I restored these, I restarted the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and everything restored in iCal as I had it before.  From here on, my response to BB updates will be NO :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MACplusBB-hmmm
My Device: Bold 9000

to direwolff:  search your mac entire hard drive for your latest calendar to reload, or alternatively you can do what I did and search for 'ics' which is the extension for the actual calendar events.... when you find them, you can go to ical 'import' and 'select all' to import them all back into your ical.... it'll take some time to sort them if, like me, you had a pile of old and deleted ones, but at least everything will come back.... and if you don't use TimeMachine, then export a backup of your calendar so it doesn't happen again.

hope this helps 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
debmoser
My Device: tour 3620
My Carrier: verizon

[ Edited ]

Yes, totally frustrating having my mac ical events completely erased. Are these entries stored somewhere else on my mac? Yes, I should have used the time capsule to backup lesson learned. I never thought that blackberry would release updates that actually erase their clients' data!

Please use plain text.