Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for Mac

menthisefalcon
My Device: Not Specified

Why does the Desktop software tell me there are "no writable calendars?"

Hi all,

I've just received my 8520 as I thought it could synch with ical via the Blackberry desktop software (obviously I am using a mac).  I have managed to synch contacts and notes but in the calendar field it just says "there are no writable calendars available for synching on this computer."  I've checked all the relevant boxes in all applications (I already use mobileme and synch other devices).  Does anyone have any idea how I get it to work?  There are various other post on the forum but noone seems to have had the same trouble.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
pwoollam
My Device: Pearl 8100
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Why does the Desktop software tell me there are "no writable calendars?"

I have just encountered the same problem when I upgraded my iCal.  My blackberry 8100 used to back up fine but now I receive the same message 'no writable calendars'.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Sincerely

menthisefalcon wrote:

Hi all,

I've just received my 8520 as I thought it could synch with ical via the Blackberry desktop software (obviously I am using a mac).  I have managed to synch contacts and notes but in the calendar field it just says "there are no writable calendars available for synching on this computer."  I've checked all the relevant boxes in all applications (I already use mobileme and synch other devices).  Does anyone have any idea how I get it to work?  There are various other post on the forum but noone seems to have had the same trouble.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hello pwoollam and menthisefalcon welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

When you launch your iCal, do you have any calendars listed? If not, are you able to create a new Calendar?

If you are able to create a new calendar, reboot your Mac and after reboot completes, see if this new calendar shows up in the settings.

Let me know how you make out.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
SWB
New Contributor
SWB
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: vodafone

MacPro,

Snow leopard,

iCal to 4.0.4 (1395)

Bold 9700,

Blackberry Desktop Software 2.0.0 (build 65)

I've the same problem. 

'There are no writable Calendars available for syncing on this computer

Please launch iCal or Microsoft Entourage and create a new writable calendar'

As I haven't seen this problem before I think this problem ought to be associated with the recent iCal updating. I followed hmthepirate's advice, created a new calendar, rebooted computer, and the new calendar is there in iCal. No change, still the error messages. Any chance of some assistance please? many thanks.

Please use plain text.
SWB
New Contributor
SWB

A Solution possibly.

The problem appears to be the enslaving of iCal after the new upgrade to me.com up in the Cloud. 

Anyone still having this problem might have a look at 

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2679686&tstart=0

Latest posts are only 2 days old, with basically this solution:

To cut things short, the fix appears to be 

1. In iCal create a new calendar from the file menu, choosing the 'on my mac' option. Call it what you like, but you need this calendar 'on your mac' for the BB Desktop Software to write events created on the phone into. 

2. Lo and behold, the Desktop Software with phone connected then shows all the calendars as 'read only' options. Fine. Tick the boxes you need to choose what calendars you want to sync, and don't forget to tick the new Calendar you just created. It'll work. It did for me. All my Calendars are now showing again on my phone. 

It should be a universal meerkat 'simples', but when I read hmpirate (tech advisor) with his suggestion for action, I didn't glean from his note that the new calendar should be 'on my mac' 

I hope this helps anyone coming to look. 

Please use plain text.
lisaann106
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

Thank you!!!  I have been trying to figure out how to fix the missing calendar issue causing it not to sync - your solution worked!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MichelleBB
My Device: BB 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat

I have the same problem.. after the Blackberry software upgrade. However I did create a Cal on 'On my mac' as suggested. It syncs with the Blackberry and Mac but if you have created a event on your BB that's under another Cal ie mobile me then it doest sync with your mac. That's an issue. Another problem is I use a Mac, Iphone, Ipad and BB9700 ... and BB won't talk to Mac... Hope there's a solution to this. Looks like 'on my mac' syncs with 'on my BB' 

Please use plain text.
SWB
New Contributor
SWB

Dear MichelleBB,

If I'm right I think you're missing the salient point that if you enter a calendar event on your Blackberry you must enter it on the calendar that is 'on your mac'. The calendars in iCal that are synched with mobileme are marked anyway on the  Blackberry Desktop Software as 'read only', indicating that you cannot write to them from the phone. It's no hardship to change your choice of calendar once you have synchronised the event with your computer - as you probably know though, if you do that it will be duplicated on your phone at the next synch. 

As far as I know, one must accept that the Blackberry phone will not synch with mobileme in the Cloud, but only with calendars 'on your mac' computer. It might not be perfect, but you'd have to admit it is useful as it is. C'est la vie, in a world that involves many different platforms, and the fact that Blackberry now works extremely well with Mac is a major step forward.

However, if you have an iPhone as well, you have signed up to the Apple Mac monopoly and the Blackberry's extra functionality must be a joy, no? Apple Mac is hardly likely to spend any time making it as easy for a Blackberry to do what its own technology does....

Have a happy day

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MichelleBB
My Device: BB 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat

Dear SWB

Thanks for your response. Until the upgrade I didn't have a problem - BB synced with my Mac and mobile me with out an issue. i was just wondering if anyone had a solution where all the devices were talking to each other. Please keep me posted if there are any developments on this front. Thanks

Please use plain text.
SWB
New Contributor
SWB

Yup, the upgrade based on Apple's inexorable progress to garnering everything cloudwards changed things for Blackberry. Conceivably BB might work on something to create perfect synchronicity, but I for one won't be betting on it...As you know, Apple, of which I am an enormous admirer I ought to add, won't rest until they've lassoed everyone possible into their corral, and the reason why I took the Blackberry phone instead of an iPhone was that I didn't want the stuff I didn't want, nor did I want to be in such a tightly controlled 'gang'... but I do have the iPad of course. You take your choice and pay your money. 

I agree that it will be interesting to see whether Blackberry chases Apple into the cloudy sky

Please use plain text.