Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for Mac

New Contributor
Stone804
My Device: Not Specified

Wil Blackberry ever catch up to Mac?

I'm just frustrated, I have been using Blackberry for years, but I'm a Mac user, I know tons of college kids who would prefer Blackberry over iPhone but all the new college kids have Mac's and since the support is so terrible for Mac users they go with iPhone, it seems like pretty bad strategy from Blackberry's perspective, they're going to become the new Palm Pilot in a few years...

Now that I'm done bitching..

1.  Does anyone know a timeframe for Media Sync for Mac, seems like since it works with iTunes they should be making a Mac version soon, or am I wrong?

2.  Will they ever actually make Blackberry Desktop Software for the mac instead of the very poor pocketmac software that has limited functionality?

I'm getting a new phone for christmas, and if the above two things aren’t satisfied I’m probably going to have to go to an iPhone... another good customer lost to iPhone, not because of it’s features, but because Blackberry is short sighted and won’t design software for their users.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Wil Blackberry ever catch up to Mac?

(bump)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ecemike

here here...two blackberries destined for the heap since I can't do basic things like update my phone's OS on my own computer.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lorne

Now that the iPhone is Blackberry's biggest competitor, I would think it's unlikely.

BUT look at it this way: for less than the cost of an iPhone (including service plan) you could buy one of those funky little netbooks with Windows XP and use that to service your Blackberry.  Or even a cheap used XP desktop.  Or your mom's PC.  You must know someone with a PC if you need to upgrade your phone's OS.

I use a MacBook most of the time, but I have a Vista machine at home that I use as a media centre, and a service machine for my Pearl.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

What RIM needs to do is allow BB users to upgrade/update their OS' via OTA (over-the-air) as opposed to locking-in each and every file and application to a single operating system.

The catch-22 is that in order to allow this, we would need to update our OS' first...via Microsoft.

Please use plain text.
Developer
chetzy

I agree its a pain in the ass, but currently what I am doing is using VMware Fusion - its an app to run xp/vista etc on you machine... its very stable.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Stone804

Yea but I keep all my contacts sync-ed with address book and calenar for mac, I like how iChat syncs with the address book for contacts and also for google talk within iChat so I can keep all my conacts together, I'm sure others do, I just want the full desktop software to actually be made and not have to find a work around...  I can always just use bootcamp without the vmware and just boot up with windows to sync my blackberry and update the software.  but then I have to buy outlook to sync the calendar and contact info together ... and I don't want to buy more things just to keep my blackberry sync-ed.  It's a good suggestion though, lets just hope they figure it out soon.

Please use plain text.