Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for Mac

New Contributor
citius911
My Device: Not Specified

Re: duplicate contacts, unable to delete duplicate contacts and other contacts deleted

how can you have your mac address book up to date if it doesn't sync. Thats the problem. When im out I load contacts directly to my device. 

I dont understand why it just doesnt work. All the hype and its pretty awful. I cant get it to sync without losing all my info...whats the point.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
picnic4you

Re: duplicate contacts, unable to delete duplicate contacts and other contacts deleted

having problem also I have managed to sync once with the new Mac desktop service but now when I plug and try on the storm it says address database cannot be accessed. And when i try the sugestions listed it wont let me clear the data?

help please

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
92GreenYJ

Fozzy, I followed the instructions you posted on the first page of this post and it did remove the duplicate and old outdated contacts. However I am now having another problem. My Tour won't let me edit or make any changes to the contacts in my phone now! for instance when I try to assign a contact to a group when I go to exit and save I get the following message:

"Contact Updated Externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer Closed."

Whats the deal with this? does this mean I can now only edit or add new contacts thru the address book on my Mac? I barely even use the address book on my Mac. Hell prior to synching my new BB I haven't touched my Mac Address book in years. So imagine my suprise when I synched it and got numerous duplicate and outdated contacts on my new Tour, then was completely unable to edit or delete them on the phone. Any insight here? If I synch my contacts from my work PC instead is it going to do the same thing? I don't want to have to go to the computer to make changes to my contacts.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dph123

I'll renew this thread.

Like many others I have this same problem syncing Mac address book to Blackberry via Desktop Manager. It worked well for months, but today I started seeing multiple entries for all my contacts after syncing to my BB Curve. I used several tedious workarounds to get rid of the duplicates, from clearing the address database, deleting individually by hand, "forgetting" the device, etc.

I tried manually removing every contact on the BB but found 3 records in the device's address book, plus one entry called DTM Placeholder Record, that I could not delete by any means. (I took them out of the computer's address book hoping that a new sync without them would take care of the problem, but they remained "untouchable" on the device.)

Even when I clear the device's address book database through Desktop Manager, to show 0 entries, the contacts remain on the device. If I sync with the option to overwrite the device, it duplicates the records already on the BB.  If I remove the SIM card, all contacts remain on the device. Removing the battery has no effect either.

I have not yet tried trashing the folder BlackBerryDesktop in Library/Application Support. Nor have I tried uninstalling/reinstalling DM. I've thought about deleting all contacts on the computer (after backing up), then doing a 2-way sync from the files on the BB to copy them to the computer, and trying to delete the "untouchables" there. Or maybe delete them all again and try to sync a blank address book. Then, restore the archived version...

Has anyone found a repair short of wiping the device completely and starting from scratch? All informed suggestions are welcomed. Thanks,

D.

Desktop Manager (for Mac) 1.0.1 build 2

MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Blackberry 8330, OS 4.5.0.138

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tdjukic

In short - No.

This is a perpetual problem and one that isn't being addressed with any manner of expedience.  I have entirely restored my BB 5 times now since this thread was opened - maybe more, I stopped keeping track.

The past two days (after finding a temporarily acceptable workaround that involves a one way sync where I only replace all the contacts on my blackberry nightly), I have restored the BB database because my old work around, now no longer works.  If I do sync the blackberry, it deletes all entries except for the newest one I added yesterday.  When I restore from last Friday's back up - that one entry is deleted.  When I sync again, it deletes all entries and so on and so forth... ...I have restarted, installed, uninstalled, pulled the BBs battery and all to no improved effect.

I am of the opinion that this is an incomplete piece of software and that it simply can not and will not function properly.

I'd like to add that two way sync never works and as for the calendar, well that in itself is a completely pointless endeavour.

Best of luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dph123

A follow-up:

I wiped my BB and reactivated my BES. (BTW, I only use the enterprise system for corporate email, not calendar and address book.)

The stubborn contacts on the BB were finally erased. I restored my calendar and contacts from my Mac to the BB via Desktop Manager. Synced music. All the apps seem to be intact, but I have yet to look if those need to be reconfigured.

I've synced contacts a couple of times to check if duplicates entries appear or if other problems cropped up. None yet. So fingers are crossed that it remains trouble-free.

As I hoped, the wipe erased what must have been a "corrupt duplicate phantom contact database."

D

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kodyleonard

[ Edited ]

This may help in the future:

bluescreensolutions.blogspot.com/2009/12/duplicate-contacts-on-blackberry-using.html

EDIT: Link Removed

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tdjukic

Here's something funny... ...I stopped even attempting to sync my Mac and BB for a few weeks now - I've just been plugging it in to charge and manually entering contacts into both the address book and the BB.  (Occasionally forgetting too which is frustrating.)

So last night, I was up late working and when I plugged my phone in the BB Desktop was staring at me, invitingly... ...so I hit sync and it worked.

WTF?

This is the sort of thing that frustrates me most.  There is no rhyme or reason to what is happening and when it doesn't work, no indication as to why.

We'll see how long this lasts before it stops syncing again.

NOTE:  Just thinking it over - the only change recently has been the BBM update I ran a week or so ago.  Maybe longer... ...would that effect the way the Desktop software works with the device?

Please use plain text.
nikros
My Device: 8350i

Why we have to have all the mess, check here, verify there. Blackberry is so great that can not have an option to look for duplicate contacts itself, without going with all the mess? Where are the great and ingenious blackberry engineers? I am getting crazy, now I have 10000 contacts when probably 500 are useful? How I can clean up this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ss1013
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

:Angel: I tried this on my Curve, with duplicate calendar entries, and it worked. Thanks!

Please use plain text.