Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
Panthus
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

9930 No Longer Recognized in Windows Explorer (7) - USB Mode missing from Options on Connection with PC

Blackberry Bold 9930

Verizon

OS - 7.1.0 Bundle 2705

Blackberry Desktop Software Version - 7.1.0.41

PC - Windows 7

I have a problem which recently surfaced when connecting my 9930 to my PC. In the past, when I have connected my PC, I have gotten three options (1) Charge Only (2) Media Synch (3) USB Drive. Several days ago, when I connected the 9930 to my PC the USB Drive option no longer shows up. I have always been able to see my Blackberry and the 32GB MicroSD card in contains in Windows Explorer; however, now, it does not show up. If I double click on Computer in Windows Explorer, I see two Removable Disks - E: and F:. When you double click on them, you get the message "Insert Removable Disk." I have ensure that Media Card Support in checked under Storage in Options. I have done a reset. I have pulled the battery. I have uninstalled the Blackberry Desktop Software and reinstalled it - all to no avail. I have also connected this device to two other Windows 7 PCs and it doesn’t show up on either PC. It encounters an error while trying to down load drivers on of which pertains to MTB drivers. I have also gone into Device Manager and uninstalled the drivers associated with the 9930 and reinstalled them. Nothing has worked. I have removed the microsd card and replaced it. I have upgraded the BB OS to the most current version. If anyone has any ideas to pursue, I would appreciate their insight.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: 9930 No Longer Recognized in Windows Explorer (7) - USB Mode missing from Options on Connection with PC

Hey Panthus,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Check to see if Media Card Support is enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone, go to Options > Device > Storage> Is there a check mark beside Media Card Support? If not select this option and test.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Panthus

Re: 9930 No Longer Recognized in Windows Explorer (7) - USB Mode missing from Options on Connection with PC

Hey Hatchback

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the Media Card Support feature is enabled on the Blackberry.  At one point, I even turned off the Media Card Support and turned it back on.  It still doesn't show up as a USB drive.  It's rather bizarre because I had made no alterations to my PC or the Blackberry before it mysteriously stopped appeared as a USB drive.  Thanks again for the idea.  If you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them.  Have a great day  !  Thus

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

[ Edited ]

Hey Panthus,

You have covered alot by testing with a new media card and with a different PC, I would suggest backing up and doing a clean reload of the BlackBerry device software as shown here: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320  

Please test before restoring any data to the device.

If this resolves the issue do a selective restore of essential data (Address Book, Calendar, Task, Memos, BBM contacts etc.)
How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

If the issue still persists after the reload, further investigation might be required. To help further diagnose the cause, contact your wireless service provider or BlackBerry Technical Support Services for further review and support.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Panthus

Dear Hatchback:

Thanks a million for the response.  When I attempt to review the steps for KB11320, it directs me to look at Devices and then to select Updates.  My device has a tab under Options called Devices and Status; however, there is no category call Update - so, I'm not quite sure what I should do.  I have updated the BB Device Software to the most current version and it is up to date from that standpoint.  When I look in the Update tab, I don't see an option for View Other Versions.

This is a company supply BB.  I'm wondering if there is any risk in reloading the software?  I had a device problem last year which put me out of the BB business for week because there was no internal support, so I am cautious about taking to many chances which a device that still does email and data.

Again, thanks for your ideas.  You are very gracious to offer ideas - Your Old Friend, Panthus

Please use plain text.