Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
cbswaim
My Device: Playbook & Tour
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

A FIX!!! - Desktop Manager 7.0

[ Edited ]

Helo All - After spending 2 days being as frustrated as hundeds of you have been, I have my Desktop Manager 7.0 (build 44) functioning. Thank you to a number of you who gave me clues. I tried rolling back to a restore point in an attempt to get 6.1 back - that failed miserably and I couldn't even get it to load - here are what steps I used to get a fix that I have tested:

BTW - I am using Win 7 (64 bit) and Office/Outlook 2010 (32 bit) syncing with a Bb Tour using 5.x OS

1. Using Control Panel, uninstall whatever Bb DM you have (versions 6 or 7). Reboot.

2. Using Control Panel, uninstall MS .Net components. (I had 4.0 and needed to uninstall the Extended component before uninstalling the .Net Framework.) Also, I chose to "Reboot Later" after the first uninstall and only rebooted after the second uninstall. Reboot.

3. You should have Visual C++ 2008 SP1 installed. Look under Control Panel\Programs to see if you have it. If not, do a Google search and you will get the download link easily. Reboot after the installation (if you didn't already have Visual C++ 2008 SP1).

4. Go to Blackberry.com and download the latest 7.0 (build 44) and follow the instructions for the install.

5. When Desktop Manager loads, accept defaults - but do *not* check the Organizer files for synchroization.

6. Connect your Blackberry via USB cable. A backup will occur.

7. When the backup is completed, go to the Organizer and configure each of the four areas you want to use. Be sure to select a One-way since to the device and check the box to over write the device files.

8. When the configurations are done, Sync All. (I have 2,000+ entries and it took around 15 minutes. The Sync Preview will take a few minutes too, but be patient!

9. When the sync is completed, disconnect the phone and check your calendar, contacts, etc. It should be current.

10. Make a calendar modification. Reconnect the phone. Change the Organizer settings to perform Two-way synchronization. Do a Sync All. This one will take a few minutes, but not as long as the first sync - still be patient!

11. When sync is completed, check for the calendar change - it should be there.

I hope this helps you and a bunch of folks because this really has been a hellish two days! Best - Chuck

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jafk-9810
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: A fix - Desktop Manager 7.0

Gidday Chuck

Well done.

IIRC, when I first installed the DM (v6.x), I had to uninstall all the .NET framework versions. DM then installed its own version of one of them. Since then, various others programs have re-installed parts of the .NET framework "package" without interfering with DM.

So it does figure that the "BB software development team", and I AM using the phrase VERY loosely indeed, have stumbled on this hurdle, yet again ... :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:.

Thanks for all the effort you put into documenting your path to victory!!

However, I think I will waqit until BB actually get their act together and fix THEIR s/w PROPERLY ...

BTW, where are all the BB customer support people answering these white-hot forum threads??

Please use plain text.
Contributor
badge56
My Device: Playbook 64G
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, where are the Blackberry people? What are they doing?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Baer
My Device: Tour 9630

What are they doing? Probibally taking the weekend off after costing many of us hours of lost productivity and frustration. How could any professional company send out this garbage. Why should I have to go through all this to get our devices to sync with our Outlook again.

I am really angry REALLY!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bobworthington
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

Re: A FIX!!! - Desktop Manager 7.0

Hi Chuck,

Did everything that you said.  Tried to Sync having set up one way Sync and it failed on the Contacts synchronisation.  Im running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 on a 64 bit PC.  Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
atlanticrock
My Device: BB 8520
My Carrier: FIDO

CBSWAIM: Your fix sounds great, if you are a computer expert, which I am not. Even following your step by step solution, I am afraid to do something wrong and scew up all my system, not only the BB sync which BlackBerry unsolicitedly screwed up for me.

Do you guys think this is an easy way to use a BB??? I wonder who paid the guys @ BB to create v. 7.0. Was it Apple, in order for BB users to change to iPhone, or was it some of the Android using companies.

As a Canadian I support BB dearly, but they are doing everything necessary to get me out to another device that helps me stay connected. I do NOT want to do it.

After all these days of reading postings and having SOOOO many people complaining about v. 7.0, where are the BlackBerry guys to help their still loyal customers? Are they looking for job postings somewhere else and therfore do not have the time to fix the problem and set up the solution IMMEDIATELY.

BlackBerry WAKE UP!!!!  If you didn't notice yet, this world is changing, and if you keep dormant as you are, the competiton is going to make you disappear.

When are you coming up with a simple plug in solution that works like it did on v. 6.0??? Once there are no more BB users??

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cbswaim

Hi Baer -

If you go to your programs list under Control Panel, what version of Visual C++ do you see? For some reason this installer was pretty particular with version 2008 SP1. Otherwise it sounds like you have an identical system as I do...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cbswaim

Atlanticrock - I whole-heartedly agree that this is no way to run a business or do a software roll-out - ESPECIALLY given the beating Bb is taking.
Please use plain text.
DaleC
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

I tried this and .NET would not allow the client profile to be un-installed but did un-install the extended. I did try to reinstall V7 but same results that Windows says the DM stopped working even though the install said it was successful.

This is bogus on BB's part.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brtkom
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks for posting this. Before trying this fix, I have two concerns:

You refer to Visual C++ 2008 SP1. I have several VC packages installed running from 2005 through 2008 and up to 2010, but nothing with that specific title, all apparently installed in 2010 or 2011. I assume that the service pack you mentioned was developed earlier so my concern is that installing it on top of the earlier software could mess up the installation.

You make no mention of reinstalling .Net components. Aren't they needed by other software?

I share the frustration of others that BlackBerry rolled this out without adequate testing.

Bruce

Please use plain text.