Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
aniljaiswal
My Device: PEARL 3G 9105, OS 6
My Carrier: vodafone essar

BB Desktop Software won't connect to internet on Windows 8

While the mobile internet feature works fairly well in windows 7, it seems to have a connectivity issue in windows 8 Consumer Preview. I tried on 3 laptops with windows 7 and 3 laptops on windows 8. Laptops with windows 7 installed never showed any problem with the pearl modem configuration. But, when I tried to connect to the internet using mobile internet feature in Blackberry Desktop software in windows 8, it showed an error, "Device Modem already in use". 

Please provide some help as I need to work in windows 8 and frequenty need to connect to internet using my BB Pearl 9105.

Model: 9105

Mobile Operator: Vodafone Essar

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Desktop Software won't connect to internet on Windows 8

Hi there!

It is extremely doubtful that the RIM Desktop Software will work with Win8 -- as per the specs page, it definitely is not certified for Win8. Indeed, I would expect some lag between when MS eventually releases Win8 before RIM is ready to support it.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aniljaiswal

Hey!

Thanks for replying, but I got it working through one of the ways listed in KB's of Blackberry. It's working flawlessly now.

:-)
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Great! But, for the benefit of others (on this user-to-user community), would you mind posting your specific solution?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aniljaiswal

Hi..

It was a COM port specific problem in my case.

I queried the modem installed on COM4, but the port wasn't opening. So, I uninstalled the standard modem, installed a new modem using Add Modem Wizard on COM5 and voila.. it worked.

I would recommend trying these steps below first to resolve this:

On the computer, click Start > Control Panel.
Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
Click Change Settings.
In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"
*type ur carrier specific apn in place of "internet" here*
Click OK.
In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.
Then try setting a custom dial up networking profile:

Click the Windows icon.
In the search bar, type Set up Connection or Network.
Click set up a dial-up connection.
Type*99#in the Dial-Up Phone number field, and click Next.
Type the user name and password both are Web.
In the Connection Name field type BlackBerry.
Click Dialling Rules.
Make sure the profile created in Task 2 has been selected (if applicable), and then click OK.
Select Connect to establish an Internet connection.
You may need to check to see if you have header compression set:

1. Start Menu->Network Connections->"BlackBerry".
2. Click Properties Button.
3. Click Networking Tab.
4. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)".
5. Click Properties Button.
6. Click Advanced Button.
7. Disable "Use IP header compression" checkbox.
8. Click all OK buttons to close all dialogs.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Contributor
onggp
My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

I am also having difficulty in connecting to the internet using BB Desktop Software ver. 7 on Windows 8. I have only successfully connected twice since I installed Windows 8 but lately, it doesn't connect at all. I keep getting the error message "Failed to start Mobile Internet - there was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device).". It's hard to tell what the problem is, I use a torch 9860 and I have a strong 3G signal. I have always used Windows 7 and had no problems connecting to the internet but it's a trustrating experience with Windows 8. Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aniljaiswal

Just follow the steps mentioned in the post above yours a...

Just follow the steps mentioned in the post above yours and see if you can get it done. 

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
onggp

Re: Just follow the steps mentioned in the post above yours a...

I read the text above my post and the settings there are already default to my computer. Also, I tried to uninstall the Desktop Software and reinstalled it. I got connected to the internet at first, but later attempts failed to do so.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fbh59
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: BSNL

How to Connect Blackberry Internet to Windows 8

well, even for me the above mentioned method didn't work and for many of my friends too. it was instead that my modem got permanently deleted.
i ve discovered all the possible ways to make it work
1-->if u want to run it via BB desktop software, it will only run untill next restart(same here too). after restart, even repair installation won't work. u ve to uninstall completely and install again.
well i ven't tried this---->change the setup compactibility to that of windows 7 and run as admin. after installation go to the folder where it is installed and change the properties of blackberry desktop software to windows 7 compactibility.
(i ven't tried this, cz m using other method). its cz many softwares which don't run on windows 8 successfully run fairly well upon changing the compactibility mode to windows 7. for e.g. AMD CATALYST SOFTWARE for AMD users, REAL HIDE IP and there are many other softwares too.

2-->you can connect to internet via blackberry using bluetooth modem. but even bluetooth installation is hectic too. many users report that bluetooth driver installation shows compactibility errors(thinkpad users may not need to install bluetooth drivers). after clicking the setup, the files get extracted to a folder you ve directred, and then go to that folder and try clicking the appropriate setup/.msi file. voila--->it worked
and now i am connecting successfully my blackberry for internet via bluetooth.
its actually a bug of windows 8, lets see either Blackberry will develop a new version compactible with this buggy windows 8 or may be microsoft corrects their all error in their next service pack of windows 8

Please use plain text.
Contributor
onggp

Re: How to Connect Blackberry Internet to Windows 8

Well thanks for the info. I think it really is a bug of Windows 8. I hope RIM gets to read this thread and take action. My dilemma is temporarily resolved because I have to uninstall and install the Desktop Software every time I need to connect to the internet. Bummer.

Please use plain text.