Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
paulpv
My Device: Not Specified

BUG: Media Sync/Player syncs but cannot play Apple Lossless audio

For the life of me I cannot find where to officially report a bug to RIM, so hopefully this will suffice.

The Media Sync software syncs my audio files that are in Apple Lossless format.  However, the Media Player on the device itself cannot play the audio.  It reports the error "The media being played is of an unsupported format" and skips the song.

The audio file is *NOT* DRM, but *IS* Apple Lossless m4a.  I copy over a non-DRM non-Lossless song and it plays just fine.

The bug is that either Media Sync shouldn't copy the file, or the device's Media Player should be able to play the file.

SUGGESTION: Media Sync should have the *option* (defaulted off) to downsample the audio to a preferred bitrate (almost identical to how the BlackBerry/Roxio Media Manager).  iPods *don't* do this and it is EXTREMELY annoying.  The reality of people listening to audio on a small capacity device is that they most-likely don't need the highest audio quality possible.  192k songs on a 1GB or 2GB flash card would be sufficient for riding around on the bike.  If RIM did this then they could get a leg up on iTunes lack of doing this.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hmend99
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BUG: Media Sync/Player syncs but cannot play Apple Lossless audio

Couldn't agree more. 

Apple Lossless should simply be supported, I mean Flac is supported so it's not like RIM isn't familiar with how to handle it.

I guess this is what the BGR report was talking about, neglecting features important to consumers. 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
JPTinNYC
My Device: Storm 2 - 9550
My Carrier: ATT

Re: BUG: Media Sync/Player syncs but cannot play Apple Lossless audio

Did you ever get an answer to this issue?

I am having this problem with my Storm 2 and I do not want to convert 1700 m4a files to mp3

Thnaks
Please use plain text.