Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

Re: BlackBerry Desktop/Device Manager Not Working

what about your OTHER computer? it recognizes your wifes, have you tried yours in it too? have you tried your wifes BB in your PC?

if 2 BBs dont get seen in your PC, then its most likely your PC.

if your BB doesnt get seen in 2 PCs then it is most likely your BB

try a different cable, make sure you plugged into a rear USB port and you are directly in the port, no hubs, docking stations or extentions

let us know what happens with these tests

also what BB does your wife have? what version of DTM(desktop manager) on your PC. If you go to control panel, add/remove programs. what items do you see in here that start with Blackberry.......

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wookiee99
My Device: Not Specified

I wound up calling Verizon Wireless and spent an hour on the phone with them checking every possible problem and finally removing all traces of BB desktop manager from my computer and reinstalling and guess what, it still did not work. When I called them back we tried a few more things and then finally the rep said that it's something to do with the computer. So I contacted the computer manufacter and they couldn't do anything, they said to contact BB. FYI, tried connecting a Magellan GPS to the computer to sync and that does not work either. Is it Vista? Is it the computer? is the device manager? This is driving me bonkers!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Gord700
My Device: Not Specified

I've tried my BB on 3 different computers now,   plugged directly into the USB ports on the computers,   still no joy.   I'm going to contact the store I purchased it from, have it sent back to RIM for fixing,  and find out if they sold me a new or reconditioned one, cuz I've had nothing but trouble with this thing from the get go.   Downloaded radio player won't work,  battery dies quickly, etc, etc.

I appreciate all the help in trying to fix my issues.     Don't know if I'll ever purchase one of these things again.  Maybe the owner should worry aboutthe quality of his products instead of trying to buy hockey teams.......lol.

G

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

[ Edited ]

ya if you cant get yours to recognize an 3 different PCs, but your wifes works on 1 of them, then its the device, get it swapped out

before you leave the store, get them to prove it gets recognized on their PC at the store

Message Edited by drizzt09 on 07-04-2009 03:40 PM
Please use plain text.
cjr71244
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Sprint

I had this same problem, seems I had mixed up the USB cable that came with my blackberry with another similar USB cable. The way I can tell which one is the correct cable is the correct one says UP on the top of the smallest end. Even though the cables looked the same they are not, you must use the one that came with your blackberry or it will not talk correctly to the computer. With the other cable it could see it but couldn't talk to it.

Please use plain text.
Aurorora
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

My Device Manager can't see my BB, but it was working fine a few days ago. Do I need to get a new Blackberry? I only got it a week ago.

Please use plain text.
mdytian
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Globe

[ Edited ]

I was able to fix this same issue. Just got a new 9810 yesterday and downloaded the Blackberry Desktop Software but it could not recognize my phone. I did some more research and today I found a link that brought me to the download page of the Device Manager and now it's working. I am actually using the same executable file from Desktop software only now it works. The device Manager installed must have done something to what I already installed or it is needed to run it. The second installer should have an extension *.msi.

Download Desktop Manager from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

Please use plain text.
dauphin1114
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: US Cellular

This linked worked for me - thanks!

I'v had my BB for a few years and had been able to sync with no problems until recently. It would charge off of my PC, but that was it. Accessing it through 'My Computer' was sketchy, at best. BB Desktop would forever say "Connecting" with no success. I have finally been able to sync my BB.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
EMG001
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Vodafone

Same problem, device manager won't open. Tried all the advice but obviously the problem is with the manager itself and not the phones. Blackberry needs to get involved and solve the problem, rather than only offering support to businesses.

Please use plain text.
Snuffy_Dragon
My Device: Blackberry bold 9630
My Carrier: Digicel

I had the previous desktop manager app and it was working great until it required me to update...at first it would not finish updating then when it finally did whenever I try to open the application it would show a blank window that is not responsive. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing many times but no success..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Please use plain text.